Overspeeding

Apologies if it’s been covered before. My truck does 54 flat-out,but if I don’t keep an eye on it downhill when I’m on cruise control it creeps up. The most I’ve caught it at is 58. The Stone ridge says ‘overspeeding pre warning’,Siemens ‘overspeeding 30’. I appreciate that it’s because it’s gone over 56,but given that HGV speed limits on the motorway were upped to 60 am I right in thinking that legally I haven’t done anything wrong?,or am I getting the wrong end of the stick somewhere?. When my employer downloads my card I don’t want a long list of infringements :unamused:

highwaycodeuk.co.uk/changes- … -and-wales

Unless your complacence guy is a stickler for the rules then I doubt you’ll ever see anything unless you hit silly speeds like 80mph. Our place has started cracking down on it, so much so they will cross reference with the tracker to see what road you were on at the time. Mine for the record, shows overspeed at 56/57mph.

Because you are going over the speed the truck is set as,they will see it as speeding.
We had it on our place a while ago people were getting warning for speeding because the wagons were set @ 56mph so this is what the manufacturers deemed the safest maximum speed of the vehicle so if you were to exceed that then they will see it as taking the vehicle beyond a safe speed.

Now whether you agree with that,and many don’t,is irrelevant…this is the info supplied from the vehicle manufacturer.

It’s easier to just whack the exhaust brake on tbh,then again your place of work might not be arsed about it.

Our trucks will give you an over speed of you do more than 90Kph for more than a set period of time, something like 15 seconds.

Unless we’re caught doing silly speeds the boss isn’t bothered. One driver set the record at 107kph though :laughing:

xichrisxi:
Because you are going over the speed the truck is set as,they will see it as speeding.
We had it on our place a while ago people were getting warning for speeding because the wagons were set @ 56mph so this is what the manufacturers deemed the safest maximum speed of the vehicle so if you were to exceed that then they will see it as taking the vehicle beyond a safe speed.

Now whether you agree with that,and many don’t,is irrelevant…this is the info supplied from the vehicle manufacturer.

It’s easier to just whack the exhaust brake on tbh,then again your place of work might not be arsed about it.

I think you will find the speed limiters are part of an EU directive to restrict vehicle speeds.

A wagon will happily do 70mph plus but the EU set the limit for emissions and some employers set it lower to save fuel.
We get 57 ish out of ours and the overspeed kicks in at 60mph, though when I first got my wagon I did an overspeed printout (previous owner) it had 124kph for 30 minutes :open_mouth:
Some bloody Hill that :laughing:

Legal limit is 60mph, so you can legally do 58mph. Nothing to see here, move along…
Northbound on the A3 having just gone through the Hindhead tunnel with some weight on is a favourite. Some wagons can apply the exhaust brake with the right setting activated, others roll on and you need to do more than turn the wheel. Ask what the company policy is to be sure. You may be awarded a gold star for being concerned (professional) enough for asking the question… :stuck_out_tongue:

Nowt wrong with a bit of overspeed can’t be helped sometimes,ours are a tad lenient before it tells you to slow down a bit,our old proper gaffer used to say “what no overspeed?” “Not trying today then?” Lol
Mind you it did flash up last week maybe doing 62 wasn’t recommended down off saddle worth lol oops.

That’s where my confusion is. Brussels says the most we can do is 56, and David Cameron (as was) said we can do 60. As long as I’m within the law under 60,then like you say,nothing to see here…

I’m led to believe that most if not all supermarkets or the subbies set their trucks to 50 to save fuel. My lot aren’t interested in saving fuel,they’re just interested in me getting the stuff there for when they’ve promised it :unamused: , which is OK,but as a new (ish) driver I don’t think I’m ready for the 8-wheel tipper highway code just yet :smiley:

Nobby_Clarke:
That’s where my confusion is. Brussels says the most we can do is 56, and David Cameron (as was) said we can do 60. As long as I’m within the law under 60,then like you say,nothing to see here…

The 60mph limit for HGVs on Motorways goes back a lot further than David Cameron!

Sent using smoke and mirrors

Daytrunker:
Nowt wrong with a bit of overspeed can’t be helped sometimes,ours are a tad lenient before it tells you to slow down a bit,our old proper gaffer used to say “what no overspeed?” “Not trying today then?” Lol
Mind you it did flash up last week maybe doing 62 wasn’t recommended down off saddle worth lol oops.

I once rode shotgun for a new driver at an ex employer, early starts so i went to sleep woke up as we were heading down from Saddleworth, lad had truck in neutral and we were passing everything,

Don’t worry most companies use Tachomaster, an overspeed event (60 MPH or more) needs to occur for more than 1 mile before being flagged by the software then an average and maximum speed are displayed for the day in question.

About 58mph will trigger ours, more than a couple a year and you’ll be warned, our lot take anything like this very seriously but then we are not pushed, ever.

Thanks Mike. Nice picture of Joey by the way :smiley:

Billbigwheels:

xichrisxi:

I think you will find the speed limiters are part of an EU directive to restrict vehicle speeds.

Yes hopefully not for much longer as we are going to hopefully leave the dictatorship EU and their bs directives soon
And TBH i couldn’t care about overspeeds , i would sooner allow a roll down a steep hill than killing the brake linings , unless it isn’t safe for me to do that, i be the judge of that not the EU

Hammy747:
Our trucks will give you an over speed of you do more than 90Kph for more than a set period of time, something like 15 seconds.

Unless we’re caught doing silly speeds the boss isn’t bothered. One driver set the record at 107kph though :laughing:

Only 107kph is the record.Should have got it off the clock.Tryed to keep up with a sawyers on the A66 one day down stainmore i ran out of speedo and he was still pulling away :open_mouth: .But it was a friday night so it was fine friday rules came into play.

I once rode shotgun for a new driver at an ex employer, early starts so i went to sleep woke up as we were heading down from Saddleworth, lad had truck in neutral and we were passing everything,

Thats the spirit !! :grimacing: :grimacing:

Nobby_Clarke:
Apologies if it’s been covered before. My truck does 54 flat-out,but if I don’t keep an eye on it downhill when I’m on cruise control it creeps up. The most I’ve caught it at is 58. The Stone ridge says ‘overspeeding pre warning’,Siemens ‘overspeeding 30’. I appreciate that it’s because it’s gone over 56,but given that HGV speed limits on the motorway were upped to 60 am I right in thinking that legally I haven’t done anything wrong?,or am I getting the wrong end of the stick somewhere?. When my employer downloads my card I don’t want a long list of infringements :unamused:

highwaycodeuk.co.uk/changes- … -and-wales

You have not broken any speeding laws, but you have broken the laws that surround the speed limiting device that is fitted to your vehicle. Two separate laws independent of each other

It is curious as to why they have set the speed limit higher than the laws that apply to your vehicles speed limiter; may be it is to allow the police in their ‘spy’ trucks (which do not require a limiter) to drive legally faster than other trucks when they are out patrolling ?

Anyhows, the next generation tachos are going to communicate wirelessly with the various law enforcement agencies, so in future if you have any ‘overspeeding’ or time offences on your card, the head unit will automatically inform any police vehicle that comes in earshot.

Bluey Circles:
Anyhows, the next generation tachos are going to communicate wirelessly with the various law enforcement agencies, so in future if you have any ‘overspeeding’ or time offences on your card, the head unit will automatically inform any police vehicle that comes in earshot.

They won’t be bothered about overspeeding. They can check that now and never bother.