Overspeed

I know its been on here before but, anyway. Had overspeed flash up yesterday and one of our other drivers said that if i get stopped by vosa i will be done for speeding. I said no as i hadn’t gone over 60mph, just exceeded the limiter speed set on the vehicle for a short time. Am i correct or should i be worried :question: :question:

tootman318:
I know its been on here before but, anyway. Had overspeed flash up yesterday and one of our other drivers said that if i get stopped by vosa i will be done for speeding.

Bullshine as far as im concerned mate but i suspect others will disagree :unamused:
Say, did i see you on telegraph / halden hill last week? Globie with drag?

Speed limit on motorways is 60mph , but alot of trucks overspeed go of around 57 mph so vosa will not fine you, i think you are supposed to cancel it, i used to work with a driver that wouldn’t cancel an overspeed , Also depends on individual company rules .

I had six over speeds come up on Wednesday, usually comes up when sat at 57mph for too long, going downhill. I don’t worry about it as I’m on the motorway and it’s below the limit. I do make a note of it on my defect report though.

Slackbladder:
I had six over speeds come up on Wednesday, usually comes up when sat at 57mph for too long, going downhill. I don’t worry about it as I’m on the motorway and it’s below the limit. I do make a note of it on my defect report though.

Why write it on your defect sheet.
Whats your speed got to do with reporting a defective wagon.

Sent from my iPad.

hi all you cannot i repeat cannot get fined for over speed by vosa or police in this country you have to be seen speeding not on a print out that is why we have speed cameras . speedlimiter regs state vehicle must not run over limit speed under power but can roll down hill without power to 60mph speedlimiter is fitted under contruction regs
regards gazzap

An overspeed isn’t worth a second thought. It comes on when you go 2km (i think?) past the speed at which your limiter is set at. When in the UK I usually have dozens of them per day and I dont cancel them out each time now as it gets tedious, I just leave it until I stop for my next break or arrive to tip/load and do it then. You’ll hear all sorts of nonsense and MMTM type crap about overspeeds, ignore them all. An overspeed is only an advisiory warning, not an infringement.

Whirlwind:
Speed limit on motorways is 60mph , but alot of trucks overspeed go of around 57 mph so vosa will not fine you, i think you are supposed to cancel it, i used to work with a driver that wouldn’t cancel an overspeed , Also depends on individual company rules .

I believe the overspeed is set a km/h or 2 over the limited speed and if sustained for a certain time - I think a minute but don’t quote me on that.

So, on Maritime, the overspeed would flash at 53mph on a downhill.

At Tesco, probably 51mph.

I think if there’s a MASSIVE overspeed registered, ie 15 mins, then VOSA may take an interest in whether the limiter is working or not, but that’s all

Gembo:

tootman318:
I know its been on here before but, anyway. Had overspeed flash up yesterday and one of our other drivers said that if i get stopped by vosa i will be done for speeding.

Bullshine as far as im concerned mate but i suspect others will disagree :unamused:

Yes sir you did :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Thanks guys, i will sleep soundly in my bed tonight :smiley: :smiley:

tootman318:

Gembo:

tootman318:

Ah ha!! :laughing: I cant remember what carriageway i was on. Think i may have been plymouth bound going down hill.
Oh yeah, tell that other driver he’s talking outa his hat! :unamused: :laughing:

It’s 1mph above limited speed. On here most come up at 53mph, but my merc is limited to 56, but shut down to 52 on the computer so I am ok letting it run. Merc do it like that to save recalibrating them when we sell them. I usually let it run to 60 then slow it back to 56 every 45 seconds or so

OVLOV JAY:
It’s 1mph above limited speed. On here most come up at 53mph, but my merc is limited to 56, but shut down to 52 on the computer so I am ok letting it run. Merc do it like that to save recalibrating them when we sell them. I usually let it run to 60 then slow it back to 56 every 45 seconds or so

It might work out to 1mph above, but it’s set in km/h…

I think my Merc was the same at Maritime, can’t remember getting many ‘overspeed’ infringements compared to stupid DAFs and worse, Scania’s because they don’t auto brake

Gembo:

tootman318:

Gembo:

tootman318:

Ah ha!! :laughing: I cant remember what carriageway i was on. Think i may have been plymouth bound going down hill.
Oh yeah, tell that other driver he’s talking outa his hat! :unamused: :laughing:

I thought i was right and remember it coming up on here before. I will have great pleasure in telling the no all ■■■■ that he’s full of ■■■■■ :smiley: :smiley:

I asked VOSA directly about this a while ago. Although I was asking about a 7.5T the answer is still relevant for HGV. As long as you are not breaking the speed limit for the road you are on then it is OK to get an overspeed. ie running up to 60 mph on a downhill motorway is fine.

Here is their reply to my email of about a year ago …

I refer to your mail of 20 April to VOSA Enquiries with the above title.

Regarding the speed limiter/ speed limits issue, it is correct that a
vehicle not over 7,5 tonnes GVW which is not legally required to have a
speed limiter fitted is still allowed to use the outside lane of a 3+ lane
motorway. However all vehicles over 7.5 tonnes GVW, or those under that
weight legally required to have a limiter fitted are not allowed to use it.

Regarding the speed limit, you are allowed to exceed the limited speed (but
not the speed limit) on a long downhill. The digital tachograph will not
record this overspeed until about 2 minutes has elapsed anyway. Enforcement
bodies will only use the overspeed data to see if the speed limiter has
been overridden or incorrectly set such that the speed limit is exceeded
or the limiter setting is incorrect on a level road.

I understand the third question will be answered separately by a driver’s
hours expert.

Steve Whitehart
Heavy Vehicle Process Manager
Testing and Support Services
Customer Service Centre
VOSA Swansea
01792 454306

tootman318:

One of your other drivers is an idiot. I hope this helps. :wink:

waynedl:

Whirlwind:

I believe the overspeed is set a km/h or 2 over the limited speed and if sustained for a certain time - I think a minute but don’t quote me on that.

I think if there’s a MASSIVE overspeed registered, ie 15 mins, then VOSA may take an interest in whether the limiter is working or not, but that’s all

I was talking to a maritime driver the other day in norcon leeds.
They have got 3 mercs axors on hire from tescos, and even he was moaning it only did 49mph.

Sent from my iPad.

Coffeeholic:

tootman318:

One of your other drivers is an idiot. I hope this helps. :wink:

Good to have you back Mr Coffee :wink: :wink: And yes he is an idiot, ex office boy :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

spectron:

waynedl:

Whirlwind:

I was talking to a maritime driver the other day in norcon leeds.
They have got 3 mercs axors on hire from tescos, and even he was moaning it only did 49mph.

Sent from my iPad.

That explains the Axor I saw the other day with a Maritime sticker on the door, thought it was an OD or something.

waynedl:

Whirlwind:

No on maritime it’s still 56mph before it flashes because the tacho is set as the norm but the limiter is 52 mph or 54 in my case ssshhh :smiley: . But the new handbook says the company speed limit is 52 mph and if exceeded is a disciplinary… I had the pleasure of the driver trainers company on thursday and as we now have telematics had a thick printout of my overspeeds and idling and mpg etc etc… What a fun day that was :unamused: :unamused: