overspeed?

i had the misfortune of having to queue to tip, there was 5 of us standing around talking when 1 driver told us that his brother was pulled into a vosa checkpoint ( sure he said perry bar but could be wrong as others were talking) and the vosa bod downloaded his digital drivers card and didnt find anything wrong hours wise but it was picked up on that he had been doing 100km/h to 110km/h for more than 3 minutes too the maximum of 5 minutes on 21 separate occasions over a period of 6 months and that was unacceptable. the guy said he got fined £60 + 3 points for the overspeed that was on his card for the day he was pulled, now i’v never heard (untill now) or read about anyone being convicted for speeding based on what the tacho/digi download says and i suspect it’s drivers myth but i’ll put it out there incase it is true.

Not true

It comes up “overspeed” when you trundle downhill faster than the set on the limiter. This means Tescos wagons for example will set it off for 3 minutes @ 52mph.

Since 52mph is PERFECTLY LEGAL on motorways, there’s not a jolly lot VOSA or anyone else can pull you for here, let alone fine you for. They don’t know where you were when the clocked speed happened after all, unless it’s an “immediate on the spot” pull and data sample. “Overspeeed” in itself does NOT mean “speeding”. I get “overspeed” come up nearly every day, because strangely, I find myself going down motorway hills on a regular basis. Set the cruise to 50mph, and the thing flashes “overspeeed” at 52 if done for over a minute on bits like J24-J25 eastbound on the M25, J8-7 eastbound M25, or even approaching Welwyn Garden City turn off on the A1(m). I got pulled by VOSA at Fleet services, and didn’t even get an “advisory” for already having an overspeed from Roundhill tunnel down the folkstone dip, and M25 J9 clockwise approach that very same driving session! They got a bit arsey when I refused to open the back of my frozen load, but there was hardly going to be any illegals in there at -28 for the 2 hours I’d already been driving at that point was there? Maybe they wanted to check I wasn’t carrying any meat unfit for human consumption, like Abu Hamza or something… :smiley:

Frozen Meat drivers can show him what to do with that hook.....jpg

On a different note, I know someone who DID get booked for speeding on the limiter (56mph) because a car flying past him set off a speed camera, and alas the road was a single track 40mph limit with a “national speed limit” sign up for everyone else… He was of course captured in the image set off by the car! :frowning:

Speeding means going too fast for the road you are on. You won’t get fined on the basis of tacho data unless it’s for prolonged periods above 60mph, which I believe 110kmh satisfies…

Complete and total

Winseer:
On a different note, I know someone who DID get booked for speeding on the limiter (56mph) because a car flying past him set off a speed camera, and alas the road was a single track 40mph limit with a “national speed limit” sign up for everyone else… He was of course captured in the image set off by the car! :frowning:

He might well have set the thing off anyway if it was size or height sensitive.

Always worth slowing to correct speed for single track cameras, in years gone had workmates get done for as little as 46mph when they’ve set off the cameras on the A420 'tween Oxford Swindon, couldn’t tell you if they are still size sensitive (ooer missus) and not volunteering.

Are digital tachos not the same as paper ones in that it cannot be used retrospectively to catch speeding but it can be used as evidence to back up a camera or mobile speed trap or if you had an accident.

The first thing that strikes me is that the card recorded 21 overspeeds, iirc it logs the most recent 5 events along with the most excessive (speed) and the longest (time). By my reckoning that’s 7 events.

I suggest that “stale” speed data on cards cannot be used against you, as the card data will NOT tell anyone pumping it WHERE you were doing whatever speed you were doing.

They’d have to pull you in a 40 zone, and then use the upto-the-minute data showing you doing more than that to “prove it”, but once the shift has ended, so has the chance of using any speed digidata against the driver.

When I got pulled by VOSA, I could see remnents on the card of vehicles I’d driven back in 2007. No data - just some registrations… MX07 RM 17tonners essentially. I have no idea why that stuff was still on there after all this time. I’ve since replaced my card though, so presumably the new one will be nice and clean from “old remnents” like that.

I was thinking of framing the “clean bill of health” I got from VOSA that day… Everyone tells me they’ve never seen one of those sheets before, but hey - I ain’t THAT good, so maybe VOSA pulls themselves are not as common as we’re led to believe… :grimacing:

I had the privellage of being pulled by belgiums finest the other day. There were three of them total, and once pulled, the “ministry” chap made great speed to get hold of my card. He took it back to his car whilst I was quizzed at detail about my load. Bulk clay - was it and boy did I have a job of communicating this. They went through all the paperwork for the load, the lorry, and the third guy who was drilled in military style overalls, crawled under the back of the trailer, and under the chassis of the 12 plate DAF - to what purpose god knows! I was sumoned back to the car where my card download was taking place. Now… Im a bulker driver! Im NOT payed by the hour, but I like to make good progress within the law. I have always had a clean driving licence, but so far as overspeed goes, its a daily occurence. I dont exceed the 60mph limit - as its company policy to punish errant drivers - based on the information recorded by the NAVMAN system in the truck.
The belgium ministry chap went through about 6 weeks of data in great detail, then skimmed back a little further, and the outcome was what I hoped - a clean bill - or rather no bill !!
TBH if overspeed was an issue I would have been a sitting duck…