Old North East haulage companies (Part 1)

paul ward:
Hi Larry, hope you are well? is that GUY with the load of paper on, one of Tommy Dodds fleet from Bedlington, who subbed for Fergies and eventually taken on by Ferguson? I think it was driven for a while by a friend of mine called Dek Birch, would i be right. i have seen a couple of photos of an eight-wheeler but that’s the first one i seen of the tractor unit, did he just have the one? cheers take care Paul

Hi Paul, Tommy had two, One with a ■■■■■■■ engine and the one had a Gardner in, I cant remember the driver you mention, But both those Guys were sold to the late Harry Laybourne . Harry ended up running tippers out of Moot Law Quarry, All the best, Larry.

Thanks for that Larry , take care se you soon ,P

There seem to be threads for every part of the country except the north east, so howzabout setting one off. Theres plenty to go at and a few have been mentioned elsewhere such as Cawthornes, VanHee,Clarks, but what about Murray Hoggs, Jakey Adams, Fergusons of Blyth, Bells of Ashington, T T Walkers, Elddis, and what about a mention for Norman’s cafe at Brotherton a favourite watering hole for scores of North East lads.

Here’s a couple to start it off with.
R Rankin & Sons Ltd Newcastle on Tyne.Eventually swallowed up by TDG (Total Disaster Group)

Next two not very good pictures I’m afraid

JOHN

Its surprising how many companies the Northeast had, just a few are ; Adams, Archbolds, Baxters, Blacketts, Capstaff, Cook, Crow, Cazaly Bros, Ellis, Elldis, Ferguson, Freeways, McPhees, Mole, Murray Hogg, Ouseburn (Steenburg’s), Orrell & Brewster, Owen Pugh, Redpath, Short, Smiles, Smith and Van Hee, Walkers, Waugh, just need some pics now! Franky.

would like to see any pic’s of the following,

JOHN DEE/DEELINE INTERNATIONAL, FERRYHILL
DENT’S OF SPENNYMOOR
DIRECT TRANSPORT, SHILDON
W H WILLIAM’S, SPENNYMOOR
E SWINDELL, PIERCEBRIDGE
D MCCUNE, NEWTON AYCLIFFE

i have worked for some of these companies who are now long gone, although j.dee now operating as katem i believe, would like to see any pic’s just to bring back a few memorie’s of when it was a pleasure to be driving unlike the just in time rat race we are all involved in today.

deeline:

DENT’S OF SPENNYMOOR
E SWINDELL, PIERCEBRIDGE

i have worked for some of these companies who are now long gone, although j.dee now operating as katem i believe, would like to see any pic’s just to bring back a few memorie’s of when it was a pleasure to be driving unlike the just in time rat race we are all involved in today.

Some of those firms bring back some memories…i take it you dont live that far from me deeline…i live in Bishop Auckland.

Also i would like to see some pictures of
HILDER DISTRIBUTION from Ferryhill
JIM MULLIGAN TRANSPORT(J.M.T) from Stanley,near Crook

topboy trucker:

deeline:

DENT’S OF SPENNYMOOR
E SWINDELL, PIERCEBRIDGE

Some of those firms bring back some memories…i take it you dont live that far from me deeline…i live in Bishop Auckland.

Also i would like to see some pictures of
HILDER DISTRIBUTION from Ferryhill
JIM MULLIGAN TRANSPORT(J.M.T) from Stanley,near Crook

I come from Bishop Auckland, also worked for John Dee’s in the early/mid 90’s wheh they where at Coundon. I’ll ring My cousin later on as He’ll have loads of pics of North Eastern companys. He’s got a few of our Grandads wagons, Hendersons of Crook. No point ringing yet as He’ll still be in bed…

HERE ARE FEW MORE, BUT NO PICTURES
GOLIGHTLY COXHOE
GEOFERY DIXON TIPPERS ?
HENRY MAYCOCK LANCHESTER
BLACK BULL GARAGE LANCHESTER
TAITS HAYDON BRIDGE
P.G WALTON NEWCASTLE
SALKELD CONSETT
BARNFATHER WILKES ?
METCALFES DARLINGTON
STOCTON HAULAGE STOCKTON
PARNABY ?
R.DURHAM BILLINGHAM
HEWITSONS WESTERHOPE
EAGLE ROAD SERVICES GATESHEAD
HETHRINGTONS TIPPERS BISHOP AUKLAND
SEPTIMUS COOK DARLINGTON
MILBURNS NIDDLESBORO
HENRY PEACOCK STOCKTON
PEACOCKS TIPPERS GATESHEAD
SANDERSONS TEES SIDE?
TULIPS TIPPERS NEWCASTLE ?
TRINDER TIPPERS DARLINGTON
LARROW TRANSPORT GATESHEAD
YOUNGS OF STOKESLEY
LINTZGARTH TRANSPORT MIDDLESBORO
BELLS STOCKTON
BRUNSKILL BISHOP AUKLAND /HARTLEPOOL

H.Tarren from Crook was another,did a lot of work for Pickford Holland who made refractory bricks.And have Burn Brothers been mentioned “Tyne,Tees,Wear and Clyde” on the front of their motors.Simpson Bros from Stocksfield was another IIRC.
I think Sandersons were taken over by Durhams at Billingham,I remember they ran a trunk to Lichfield in the 70s changing over with S.Protheroe from Swansea(or was it Illtyd Thomas :unamused: ).

Worked with a few lads at RB, they were at Chastneys.

A FEW MORE OLD ONES A LOT OF THESE COMPANIES ARE LONG GONE
TARREN SEDGEFEILD SUBBED A LOT FOR TARSLAG
BROWN WHARIER NEWCASTLE?
BALDWINS STOCKTON
MCPHERSON NEWTON AYCLIFFE ?
STIRK STAINDROP
WILKINSON HAY & STRAW NEWCASTLE
SPINKS DARLINGTON
SCOTTS WIDEOPEN
TT WALKER NEWBURN
WALKER BROS BLAYDON?
BULMERS MIDDLESBORO
TAITS HAYDON BRIDGE
JOHNSON BROS NEWCASTLE ? TIPPERS
HUNTERS TANTOBIE
SUNTERS NORTHALERTON
SILKBURN COAL COMPANY MIDDLESBORO
COLLINSON ?
TAFFY DAVIES INT.BISHOP AUKLAND?
DERICK CROUCH TIPPERS SPENYMOOR
GARDINER TRANSPORT LANGLEY MOOR
MENZIES NEWCASTLE
GRAYS SPENYMOOR
ORD SUNDERLAND
HERRING HARTLEPOOL
ASSOCIATED LEAD NEWCASTLE
HOLTS NEWCASTLE
GLENDENINGS SHOTLEY BRIDGE
J R HOLLAND NEWCSATLE
SHEPARDS NEWCASTLE
WILFRED WHITE TOW LAW

Here’s one from Thornaby on Tees- J Tarren & Son.FODEN.I used to work with the son who was called Dave @ Stillers.

mine and andrewV8s great grandad started sometime pre 1920s with a horse n cart in crook county durham in the 60s we had 14 trucks a funeral and taxi buisnes with 3 yards when our grandad and his brother was running it the trucks were mostly coal that was the norm around here and the trucks went plain clothed in the miners strike of the 80s then with the end of coal we went into flatbed haulage ending in 1996 with my old 7.5t MAN

Remember Brown Wharrier, used to ship out of Hull on a Sunday night with alot of them. Fuzzy memorys of a good time had by all . :smiley: Nice pictorial history of Hendersons there, in age order aswell.

Some good old photos on there marcy :sunglasses:
Can you remember the name of the haulier from Leadgate up your way?

night shift bri:
There seem to be threads for every part of the country except the north east, so howzabout setting one off. Theres plenty to go at and a few have been mentioned elsewhere such as Cawthornes, VanHee,Clarks, but what about Murray Hoggs, Jakey Adams, Fergusons of Blyth, Bells of Ashington, T T Walkers, Elddis, and what about a mention for Norman’s cafe at Brotherton a favourite watering hole for scores of North East lads.

yes i remember normans very well when i worked at flowers transport at york we use to fiddle home regular from their,how about Barn FatherWilks to add to your list

Frankydobo:
Its surprising how many companies the Northeast had, just a few are ; Adams, Archbolds, Baxters, Blacketts, Capstaff, Cook, Crow, Cazaly Bros, Ellis, Elldis, Ferguson, Freeways, McPhees, Mole, Murray Hogg, Ouseburn (Steenburg’s), Orrell & Brewster, Owen Pugh, Redpath, Short, Smiles, Smith and Van Hee, Walkers, Waugh, just need some pics now! Franky.

Waugh’s are now owned by Fergusons, but Fergies transport operation is being run by the ex-Waughs owners, ie Arkles. Thats one reason I aint working there now. I used to work at Van Hees with you Frankie in the mid 80’s, I was the mackem who got a brand new D reg Scania 112 and upset all the Geordie lads.

Chris Webb:

hiya,
Chris do you mean Youngs a tipper outfit cream f86s did a week or two for them when first arriving in the North East in 1972,did’nt like tipper work.
thanks harry long retired

harry_gill:

Chris Webb:

hiya,
Chris do you mean Youngs a tipper outfit cream f86s did a week or two for them when first arriving in the North East in 1972,did’nt like tipper work.
thanks harry long retired

i do remember some cream n blue volvos i think was j r young then became jsy (johnson salkeld young) before they got took over by halls or known as rushyford transport/eppleton quarry products