Curries European Transport - Bill Ward

Hi There,
I’ve just recently acquired a few pictures off my friend, John Porter of Fleetwood, they are of my Uncle Bill Ward’s units. Even though he was based in Fleetwood, he worked for Curries for many years making the weekly trek up to Dumfries to collect his trailers. Originally started hauling for Curries in one of my Grandad’s unit Mercedes 1633 ( R.Ward & Sons) then progressing up to the 1738 Mercedes, then on to a ex Stobart 124 Scania 360bhp. Some of you guys might even recognise some of the drop offs?
Enjoy!

Hello Paul. How interesting! I had no idea that Bill had pulled for Curries. What happened to R.Ward & Sons after Reg died? Did Gary Richardson buy it, or did he just run out of the same yard?

I can’t make out the reg of the of the Merc in the 1st pic, but its possible I’ve ridden as passenger in it.
In 1977/8 Reg arranged for for me (as a teenager) to have a day trip out. I hoped it would be with Bill, but it wasn’t. I can’t remember the driver’s name, but I’m sure he wore glasses. We went to a Birds Eye factory somewhere over Hull way with a load of offal for the fish fingers.

I’d never seen the Scania until seeing this pic, but I guess if he was running from Fleetwood to Dumfries he would go through St Michaels and so not pass my house near the M55.

You say “Was based in Fleetwood.” I hardly dare ask.