Wilkinson (LEYBURN)

Hi All,
Does anyone know if" Wilkinsons “or could be” Wilkinson & Son" of Leyburn N/Yorks are still around? in myday with them it was mainly Horse box/Cattle/The Quarry and Tramping plus snowploughing!!!
John

I remember Wilkinsons from Leyburn in the 50/60s Era, I cant remember the drivers name but he drove an 8 wheeler Mammoth Major AEC Flat, He used to get on to the Quayside at Newcastle sometimes & Baxters Road Services whom I worked for at this time used to give him a load of Danish Bacon for Lancashire, He was a real canny lad to get along with, Sorry no photos, Happy long one days, Regards Larry.

Theres a friend of mine now residing in Reeth, Im sure he worked for Wilkinsons for a while I will see if I can get him on this thread, He also worked for Sunter Bros, Perhaps some of you oldies may remember him Bernard Alderton a great lad with a great sence of humour may I add, Regards Larry.

George Wilkinson packed up years ago although a few of his old drivers are still about. His son Keith has his own motor a Scania with a steel tipping trailer and subs for J and J Ward. He runs as KW Bulk Services

Hi all,
Very nice to know people remember George and Wilkinson transport, would it bore you to hear some stories of life working for him??
John

Wilkinsons used to stop at the Sunset cafe in Ingleton early evening loaded with salt 6 wh reivers n8 wh Leylands heading over the dale drivers I can remember we’re Dennis Bell,Terry Allsop,Lecky,Malcolm Alderson ( legs 11) I think his reg no was 11 also the Aussie guy who drove in shorts n flip flops then Lofty who drove the TK horse muck wagon n some faces I can’t put names to maybe somebody can name a few more.

Hi Bibs,
I will be talking to Keith Wilkinson tomorrow i’ll ask him.

metcalfe135:
George Wilkinson packed up years ago although a few of his old drivers are still about. His son Keith has his own motor a Scania with a steel tipping trailer and subs for J and J Ward. He runs as KW Bulk Services

Is this the same KW that had the black & silver roadhaus man ? I remember this lorry heading north from Birmingham with small bales on .

Dan Punchard:

metcalfe135:

Is this the same KW that had the black & silver roadhaus man ? I remember this lorry heading north from Birmingham with small bales on .

Ran bales to Lackenby,had mural of Carl Foggarty on rear of cab

Dan Punchard:

metcalfe135:

Talking to Keith only a few weeks ago, but had to leave before the ‘Air turned Blue’ when he was trying with a lot of difficulty to change a faulty cab suspension unit. Thought that Scanias lasted for ever

Barry/Gloves

Nl02 is that ex Hargreaves ?