Old North East haulage companies (Part 1)

jshepguis:
Just got this photo from a friend so NMP Atkinson just out of paintshop by the looks of it in the new Durhams colour scheme at their Cowpen Bewley yard. In the background one of TJ Thompson skip wagons who had a big steel scrap yard in Stockton

Seddon of Durhams.

A04792p.JPG

A few oldies Tyneside

Thanks for posting Smilers REO Speed wagons, They had five, Brand new in 1936, Regards Larry.

This is the Bedford behind the Reo. So perhaps this was the Ryton Sand & Gravel Quarry, Regards Larry.

Swindells of piercebridge F88

Tait’s Albion Reiver.

First two are Byker Bus Depot a few years apart, then Powleys an old Sunderland firm, not sure what vehicle make it is.
Lastly a couple of buses under Steels Bridge, Sunderland.
I often wonder how much Binns has paid the bus companies for advertising over the years ■■?

Tyneside

Ge Armstrong F10

Hiya,
Red & Whites tabs very appropriate for Sunderland.

harry_gill:
Hiya,
Red & Whites tabs very appropriate for Sunderland.

Good connection Harry, I should have noticed that living about 5 miles from the Stadium of light. Got to admit I hadn’t heard of the brand.
Tyneside

ravda:
Ge Armstrong F10

Looking at the state of it I’m assuming this was just a shunter or parked up for cannibalism?

tyneside:
First two are Byker Bus Depot a few years apart, then Powleys an old Sunderland firm, not sure what vehicle make it is.
Lastly a couple of buses under Steels Bridge, Sunderland.
I often wonder how much Binns has paid the bus companies for advertising over the years ■■?

Tyneside

That’s an interesting shot for anyone interested in “Equines” as looking at it I would say that that horse had seen better days when it was younger and had probably been someone’s riding horse. But sadly as it went past it’s best it has been bought by a mobile Green Grocer ( by the looks of his yoke) for his rounds which is what happened to many quality horses in days gone by. As a school lad I used to help a chap who had a market garden and small holding and he had green grocery rounds in Kendal using a horse drawn 4 wheel lorry ( with pneumatic wheels) and he bought horses which were still sound but getting on a bit ! One I recall he got was a handy black mare which had come from Blackpool Front but unfortunately even though it’s manners were perfect it was just a bit too lively and didn’t take too well to “start stop and stand every 50/100 yds or so ! The other heavier types he used were quite happy to stand patiently while customers were served. But for a while when he had the Blackpool mare it was my job to stand and " Hod 'er heead” in local parlance !!
Buzzer might have thoughts on this shot of the horse ? Cheers Dennis.

Watson Scania.JPG

N.M P. Regards Larry.

Murray Hogg Ltd 007.JPG

Murray Hogg Ltd 004.JPG

N M P. Regards Larry.
BF0005.JPG

Lawrence Dunbar:
N M P. Regards Larry.0

Who’s motor was that Larry ?

DEANB:

Lawrence Dunbar:
N M P. Regards Larry.0

Who’s motor was that Larry ?

It was Theo James from Bedlington. Still going, has a lot of artic tippers usually MAN and Mercs. I think has a lot of the bulk work off Blyth Dock.
Tyneside