Old North East haulage companies (Part 1)

Leyland600:
Border Warrior was a milk churn collection wagon DHH 813 and registed to Border Deliveries Ltd a subsiduary company of Robsons new into service on 24th April 1950. Border Deliveries was the milk collection arm of the main company and exempt from nationalisation due to the nature of the loads carried. The photo further down showing the back and rows of milk tins in ■■■■■■■■ parlance is the same wagon.
Cheers Leyland 600.

Great info, I wonder what happend to all those stainless steel churns, I had three a long time ago and some T Bs nicked them from my garage in broad daylight while we were having a cuppa, They could be collectors items these days, Regards Larry.

The Maudsley artic has a Durham registration HUP being August 1947 to June 1948 when the JUP reg’s started, Roppa must have been collecting vehicles and licences from a few different areas and had quite a mixed fleet doing so. Franky.

Renault tipper Used on animal feedstuffs deliveries by H.Binks, Harmby, Leyburn, Nth. Yorks.

Although now running Renault’s and an MAN, in the past Binks ran ERF’s and Foden’s. I think they still have an ERF unit parked up out of use in the yard.

Ridley Transport Allendale

seddon.jpg

L.Robson & Sons, Craster— famous for kippers!

20210314_092321_edited.jpeg

I’m sure many will remember this place;

forster:

Have had more hot brekkies in here than hot lunches at home.

harry_gill:

forster:

Aye me too Harry but only when I was heading north, Good grub IMO, The reason I never stopped when going south was because I allways thought It was a bit dodgey because seeing what was coming from the left when trying to get out wasnt to good plus the brakes would be kind a warm :bulb: Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

harry_gill:

forster:

Aye me too Harry but only when I was heading north, Good grub IMO, The reason I never stopped when going south was because I allways thought It was a bit dodgey because seeing what was coming from the left when trying to get out wasnt to good plus the brakes would be kind a warm :bulb: Regards Larry.

Hiya,
Aye’ Larry I don’t think many stopped when travelling South for the same
reason I was usually giving it “Belle Fagin” to try and get to the Leyland
Clock before needing to start sorting the gears out in the old crash box I
do remember the two buses at the top though excellent but parking was
limited and you could rarely get parked, if you was a Scot it was known
as the “Eerie” if you was English we called it the “Eagles Nest” happy days.

harry_gill:

Lawrence Dunbar:

harry_gill:

forster:

Hiya,
Aye’ Larry I don’t think many stopped when travelling South for the same
reason I was usually giving it “Belle Fagin” to try and get to the Leyland
Clock before needing to start sorting the gears out in the old crash box I
do remember the two buses at the top though excellent but parking was
limited and you could rarely get parked, if you was a Scot it was known
as the “Eerie” if you was English we called it the “Eagles Nest” happy days.

Hello “H” nice to see you back on form, I haven’t heard the expression “Belle Fagin”
for many a year! My Grandfather was a shipyard riveter, he used it when describing
his “addressing” a rivet with a sledge hammer , but as you know was used in any context to describe anything from heavy braking or acceleration, to brawling outside a pub!!! Regards Kev.

Hiya,
Keeping OK Kev and hoping you and your good lady are likewise. i started
using the “Belle Fagin” when I moved to the North East some 50 odd years
ago one of Glenny’s drivers used it all the time and the terminology when
used by him seemed to fit every occasion so I just stuck with it I guess.
Keep well mate.

forster:
Renault tipper Used on animal feedstuffs deliveries by H.Binks, Harmby, Leyburn, Nth. Yorks.

Shots of Binks were a blast from the past that I had forgotten about ! When I kicked off with my first “A” Licence in late 68 I started loading out of the Libby factory in Milnthorpe and Binks were also regular visitors as sub contractors for K. Fell who were the main Libby contractor at that time. I recall that Binks brought loads of cattle food into the area from Hull ( IIRC) probably for Lunesdale Farmers or maybe W & J Pye. Binks ran LAD Albion Reivers and after they had delivered the cattle food they would regularly reload out of Libbys for the Yorkshire areas. I also recall that Binks bought their motors off Tony Bingley who was the salesman at Hudsons of Sandside the local Leyland Dealers. If I hadn’t “clocked” the up to date Binks shots I would have never given them a thought it was so long ago and I see that they are still involved in the cattle feed job for Dugdales ! A bit different go to work nowadays from when it was hand balling 13 ton of bags off at the farms ! Cheers Bewick.

Hi Dennis, I remember when Binks ran a few Leyland T45 Roadtrains hauling precast sewer pipes for IIRC ARC Whos works was near to Binks depot, Nice livery on their motors, Its nice to hear that they are still on the go, Take care & stay safe but not off the wine :laughing: , Regards Larry.

Hi Bewick and Larry, Interesting to read of your memories of Binks. Here are a couple more pics. of their Renault tipper.

Front view of same.

008.JPG

Murray Hogg Ltd 005.JPG