Old North East haulage companies (Part 1)

More good old pics Tyneside, the Murray Hogg garage on Bowsden Terrace, Gosforth was also used by Anthony Mole, I believe when Hoggy’s later moved to Sandy Lane. The Gibson pick up would have been heading back to their depot on Haddricks Mill Rd, on the opposite side of the yard across the dene there was a wooded area known to us local kids as Cowboy Valley where we spent many an hour playing and swinging on ropes across the burn below, you got a good view into Gibson’s yard from there, I often spent time watching the Foden’s and LAD cabbed vehicles they had coming and going, maybe the O Series Blue Circle Bedford had come from there too. The view of the Bus queue showing Benton Road heading up towards the Puroh factory and Dairy led to our house on the then new Longbenton Estate, the Lucozade factory was further on too then the famous Ministry complex that employed many people of the Northeast, my future Wife, Mother and Sister also worked there. From the bus queue heading towards the camera on the right hand side was South Gosforth Fisheries one of the best and favourite Fish and Chip shops around. Great memories from that area in my younger days cheers Franky.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Hi Forster, I have a photo someware of me driving an AEC Artic in 1969 for Shorties I cant find it a present It was a new motor UBB 805 G They were a decent firm to work for canny wages at that time, The only problem I ever had with one or two of their drivers who wanted the money for doing SFA, Pls their Hull manager who didnt like me from day one used to give me a load of Fish Meal from Albert dock for Spillers on the Newcastle Quay more often than any of the other Shorties lads, This went on for a few month so I decided enough was enough, I had a word with Ken Short who was nice reasnoble chap to talk to and he agreed after looking at the Manifests for work done at Hull to Newcastle that I was been given a lot of hand ball loads, Mind you I didnt mind handballing stuff as long as it wasnt smelly fish meal, I had to have a clean boiler suit every trip. But as far as Im concerend they were the good old days,And I earned good wages plus night out money, Regards Larry.

Hi Larry, when I worked at E.Robson, the owner Bill Robson often met with a friend of his, Fred Short… This would be in the early 60’s. Maybe he was the owner at that time?

1955 Bedford ‘A5’ tipper, ex.Forestry Comission.
Picture 2, Looking a little tidier.

Smiles for Miles.

IIRC This A 5 Bedford owned by Smiles for Miles was driven by a lad called Harry Armstrong, Who worked for them a very long time, He allways wore a funny sort of flat Cap. :laughing: , He was a great lad to know allways had a Smile on his face, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
IIRC This A 5 Bedford owned by Smiles for Miles was driven by a lad called Harry Armstrong, Who worked for them a very long time, He allways wore a funny sort of flat Cap. :laughing: , He was a great lad to know allways had a Smile on his face, Regards Larry.

I think this could be him a few years later, Regards Larry.

Hi Franky I remember travelling through South Gosforth on my way to Blyth as a boy late 40s early 50s and being able to look down into Gibsons yard. The Gateshead No 14 bus used to park in the layby before setting off for Heworth. Am I right in thinking and seeing some bomb semi detached houses higher up on the right Mathew Bank I think it was called . I guess the United single decker heading for Longbenton was destined for Whitley Bay.
Cheers,
Leyland 600

Leyland 600 wrote; Am I right in thinking and seeing some bomb semi detached houses higher up on the right Mathew Bank I think it was called .
That’s right Matthew Bank was bombed during the early stages of the war, I did see photo’s of it once maybe on an Old Newcastle in Pictures site. Where those buses were heading in the photo there was a WWII bunker on the left hand side where we would play, although I remember not being too keen on it. We also had an old wartime siren go every day around midday in the 50’s, even after several years since the end of the war we still seemed to have reminders everywhere. Franky.

Hi Franky, Speaking of South Gosforth can you remember a firm Boyle Bros Ltd. a drilling firm whos logo was WE DRILL INTO THE EARTH, I cant recall the street name but when heading to the roundabout from Gosforth the first left a a steepish click, The were on the left, They had some Ex army gear, Regards Larry.

Some pictures I took at Robsons Border Transport depot. Carlisle. around the late 50’s./ early 60’s.

A real old Albion.

Old Albion Border Clarion ABV 399, this and the ERF BCB 492 have Blackburn Registration’s, the Albion from August 1939 up to October 1946, quite a long period for the BV reg’s. The ERF CB reg covers the period October 1947 to September 1949. The other vehicles seem to have Carlisle HH reg’s as far as the ones I can see that is. Larry the Boyle Bros motors ring a bell seem to recall Commer Superpoise. Franky.

Hi Forster, Great stuff, The ERF Is a 1947, The S 18 Foden Is a 1955, The Albion Is a 1939/40, Thanks for posting them, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Hi Forster, Great stuff, The ERF Is a 1947, The S 18 Foden Is a 1955, The Albion Is a 1939/40, Thanks for posting them, Regards Larry.

Hiya
Aye’ Larry, and I noiced a couple of Blackburn and a Toon reg among Robbo’s
motors I wonder was the Blackburn reg motors ex Griffiths or Bowker seems
strange Robsons registering their vehicles so far away from home.
PS, oops one of the motors I thought was Toon reg was in fact Carlisle.

harry_gill:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Hiya
Aye’ Larry, and I noiced a couple of Blackburn and a Toon reg among Robbo’s
motors I wonder was the Blackburn reg motors ex Griffiths or Bowker seems
strange Robsons registering their vehicles so far away from home.
PS, oops one of the motors I thought was Toon reg was in fact Carlisle.

How you keeping “H” ? Sound as a £ in 1960 I trust ! :wink: Can I add my Two’ peneth about these odd Robson reg nos. I reckon they would have been bought with their “A” Licences from BRS in the early/mid 50’s when Stan was relaunching his business. They wouldn’t have been either bought new or registered by Robsons and by the looks of them they wouldn’t have remained very long in the Robson fleet and would have been quickly replaced by new Fodens and Fords. I do , of course, stand to be corrected ! Regards Dennis.

Some more of Robsons.

Maudslay artic. and Albion with milk churns.

Hi Dennis, I would agree with you , That Dodge has a Northumberland reg 1944/5, Take care, Regards Larry.

Getting back to Robsons, They did a lot of milk churn work, I remember seeing churns stacked on. benchs outside farm, They even had canopies over the cabs, The used to take some of them into the Carnation factory in Dumfries, So did Browns of Lochmaben, Of course they did have some of their motors in Carnation livery, Their drivers worked hard hummping those churns day in day out, Regards Larry.

Border Warrior was a milk churn collection wagon DHH 813 and registed to Border Deliveries Ltd a subsiduary company of Robsons new into service on 24th April 1950. Border Deliveries was the milk collection arm of the main company and exempt from nationalisation due to the nature of the loads carried. The photo further down showing the back and rows of milk tins in ■■■■■■■■ parlance is the same wagon.
Cheers Leyland 600.