Old North East haulage companies (Part 1)

Hi Larry the pepper pot individual tanks were rare looks like they were hauling for Gibsons Ready Mix plant possibly at South Gosforth. My father was a plant maintenance fitter based at their Carlisle depot in the mid 1950s when Chapelcross power station was under construction. Gibsons were agents for Kwikform scaffolding I still have of their publicity folders storing my lorry and bus brochure collection.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Leyland600:
Hi Larry the pepper pot individual tanks were rare looks like they were hauling for Gibsons Ready Mix plant possibly at South Gosforth. My father was a plant maintenance fitter based at their Carlisle depot in the mid 1950s when Chapelcross power station was under construction. Gibsons were agents for Kwikform scaffolding I still have of their publicity folders storing my lorry and bus brochure collection.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Hi Leyland 600. There was a Kwikform Scaffold depot in Springwell village, Gateshead next door to the quarry. Tyneside

Redmires of Wolsingham Co Durham

redmires.jpg

Leyland600:
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Hi “Leyland600” I remember Gibsons , They had a depot at Haddricks Mill Rd. South Gosforth, The ran some S 21 Mickey Mouse 6 wheeler Foden Mixers, My mothers cousin the late Larry Smiles worked there, Plus a work mate of mine who was a fitter at Gibsons, Eddie Leadbitter who came to work at Baxters Road Services on the Quayside . He transformed the servicing of Baxters small fleet, He could weld, Do all the electrics that was required, He even stept in & did a bit of night driving when asked to do so, Happy Days Eh, Stay safe, Regards L arry.

Siddle c Cook

siddle c cook.jpg

Elddis Scania 111

scania 111.jpg

Couple more photo’s from the excellent NA3T website which is well worth a visit, both F88’s first Swindells Transport then one of Stillers.

CX00959-17.jpg

VS01530.jpg

Lawrence Dunbar
Hello Larry, just been looking at your post and you mention Eddie Ledbitter.
I watched a video on You Tube this week on Ledbitter Tpt: based on Tyneside who ran D.AF.s.
Was it a big company and was Eddie anything to do with it ?
Regards, Allan and keep safe

Mrsteel:
Lawrence Dunbar
Hello Larry, just been looking at your post and you mention Eddie Ledbitter.
I watched a video on You Tube this week on Ledbitter Tpt: based on Tyneside who ran D.AF.s.
Was it a big company and was Eddie anything to do with it ?
Regards, Allan and keep safe

Hi Mr Steel don’t want to hijack the thread but the Leadbitter Tpt you mention will have been Philip Leadbitter from Throckley who operated about 4/5 DAFs. Philip and his Dad Gilbert had the pig fattening unit down Drove Road virtually underneath the A69. Most of the pigs were supplied to Walls at Hyde. They used to use TW Bell for their transport but decided to do their own and obtained a DAF unit and a 33ft livestock trailer and the transport expanded from there. Not sure if the Leadbitter Larry mentions is connected. Tyneside

Hi Allan, There was no connection with Eddie that I worked with & , Leadbitters Transport, Regards Larry.

Federation Brewery Leyland

leyland.jpg

Federation Brewery Leyland
Looks more to be an AEC going off the wide front wings and grille but could well have the square Leyland badge in place of the AEC triangle by this stage. Fed were big AEC users, we often milked the tanks for any dregs when they came into the dealership for work to be done on them, I usually got the lookout job while the older fitters did the deed! :slight_smile: Franky.

Hi would anyone have any photos of JD Maw tippers? Particularly the one with the Michelin men and all the lights etc on?

Thanks

Few from the area Tyneside

"The 94 service ran from Washington to the Red Lion at Chester le Street where this photo was taken in 1951 . . . "

That brings on an attack of nostalgia. It ran along Durham Road to Birtley then left down Station Lane and right along Ravensworth Road/Elisabeth Avenue past the ROF turning back up Windsor Avenue to Durham Road. It then went off to the right up the Long Bank through the bottom end of Eighton Banks up to Wrekenton. I think it then went through Springwell Village towards Washington. I had one set of grandparents at the bottom of Springfield Avenue in Eighton Banks and the other set up The Avenue in Birtley and used that bus a fair few times! My Aunt lived with the grandparents in Springfield Avenue and used to work at the Birtley Company who had a big factory where the Komatsu factory is now so she used the 94 each way to get to work.

Postal:
"The 94 service ran from Washington to the Red Lion at Chester le Street where this photo was taken in 1951 . . . "

That brings on an attack of nostalgia. It ran along Durham Road to Birtley then left down Station Lane and right along Ravensworth Road/Elisabeth Avenue past the ROF turning back up Windsor Avenue to Durham Road. It then went off to the right up the Long Bank through the bottom end of Eighton Banks up to Wrekenton. I think it then went through Springwell Village towards Washington. I had one set of grandparents at the bottom of Springfield Avenue in Eighton Banks and the other set up The Avenue in Birtley and used that bus a fair few times! My Aunt lived with the grandparents in Springfield Avenue and used to work at the Birtley Company who had a big factory where the Komatsu factory is now so she used the 94 each way to get to work.

Hi Postal
The 94 used to go up the Long Bank to Wrekenton and turn right at the Clock along through Eighton Banks past the Lambton and Ship along Mount Lonnen then turn left into Springwell Village past the top of Stoney Lane and the school, turn right at the Guide Post down to the bottom of the hill and turn right again up Stoney Lane, left at the top then turn left just out of the village at Baxters Farm down Village Lane and then turn left at the army camp, along Havannah Terrace onto Blue House Lane, down past the F Pit and into the bus station at what is now Concord, then turn right along Spout Lane, Washington Village and into Brady Square where it terminated. Phew !!! think that is right, used to get it every morning to school at Washington.

I remember you saying in a previous post your Grandparents living on Springfield Ave, I think in the bungalow right at the bottom, my Dad’s sister lived in the next house up Springfield Avenue (no 3 I think) Her son, my cousin, much the same age as me went to Birtley East. My Aunty is 96 now and lives at Low Fell. Can you remember anyone else living on Springfield ■■
Tyneside

@tyneside

Rather than bore other readers of this Forum I’ve sent you a PM.

tyneside:
Few from the area Tyneside

Great pics! That pic of the mystery event: I can see six elderly Rolls Royces and a Vauxhall Velox (?); and eight coaches with what looks like Beadle bodywork from Rochester.

Wallsend 1955.jpg

The coaches look to be Northern General AEC - Beadle rebuilds circa 1953-4 from parts taken from 1934-5 AEC Regal chassis, 10 were actually rebuilt.Wakefields also had some but they were painted cream with red relief.
Cheers, Leyland 600