Old North East haulage companies (Part 1)

tyneside:
Some great photos, here’s one or two more Tyneside

You add such wonerful photos, Tyneside that bring back so many memories Thank you for taking so much effort in finding & posting them

Carl Williams:

tyneside:
Some great photos, here’s one or two more Tyneside

You add such wonerful photos, Tyneside that bring back so many memories Thank you for taking so much effort in finding & posting them

Thanks Carl just like to keep stirring the old memory banks now and again Tyneside

Salkelds of Rowley Foden

FB_IMG_1606681058371.jpg

Few from Wearside

The Austin with the bell is fire service, there were many around when I was a kid.

Pete.

Interesting photo’s Tyneside, the old Tram is being carried on one of the ‘Queen Mary’ trailers that were used to carry aeroplanes during the war when normally a Bedford WD tractor was used and later the S Type but the tractor unit pulling this one is bigger than those with a squarer cab and large rear windows which makes it difficult to identify straight off, not many cabs from this era which looks to be late 50’s early 60’s, going by the car traffic, had large rear windows, might need a bit more investigating. The Austin van also seems to be either a preserved vehicle from the war period, maybe a National Fire Service vehicle, and some ex NFS were later repainted Fire Service Red and soldiered on in one of the local Northeast Brigades, possibly Sunderland here, for many years later. GLT is a London Reg No from the war years, Dec 1941 to May 1946 when reg’s changed to HLT. The Robson’s Flour Leyland with the Sunderland BR Reg No covered the years Dec 1903 to March 1933 so not much help in pinning down the date although this vehicle is likely pre 1925 when pneumatic tyres were introduced and being derived from the famous RAF type of 1912, so could be between these dates. Presume you get these pics from local history sites or are they from your collection. Cheers Franky.

Frankydobo:
Interesting photo’s Tyneside, the old Tram is being carried on one of the ‘Queen Mary’ trailers that were used to carry aeroplanes during the war when normally a Bedford WD tractor was used and later the S Type but the tractor unit pulling this one is bigger than those with a squarer cab and large rear windows which makes it difficult to identify straight off, not many cabs from this era which looks to be late 50’s early 60’s, going by the car traffic, had large rear windows, might need a bit more investigating. The Austin van also seems to be either a preserved vehicle from the war period, maybe a National Fire Service vehicle, and some ex NFS were later repainted Fire Service Red and soldiered on in one of the local Northeast Brigades, possibly Sunderland here, for many years later. GLT is a London Reg No from the war years, Dec 1941 to May 1946 when reg’s changed to HLT. The Robson’s Flour Leyland with the Sunderland BR Reg No covered the years Dec 1903 to March 1933 so not much help in pinning down the date although this vehicle is likely pre 1925 when pneumatic tyres were introduced and being derived from the famous RAF type of 1912, so could be between these dates. Presume you get these pics from local history sites or are they from your collection. Cheers Franky.

Hi Franky, photos are usually off one of the various local history F/B pages or websites I am a member of, amazing what turns up. Some of the commercial vehicle / bus photos mean nothing to a lot of people but can create huge interest on these forums. Tyneside

Very true Tyneside its a shame though there is sparse information sometimes with the photo’s they put up, its a while since I checked out any of the Local History sites I’ll have to have another go, some good stuff you’ve found lately, cheers Franky.

[attachment=0]atkinson46 mortons p.jpg[/attachment N M P.

104.jpg

N M P, I new quite a few lads that drove for Van Hee, One in paticular Eric Logon, A K A Eddie or Woosh :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , As far as know he is still about but needs a walking stick., Bumper s till keeps in touch, when this Covid thing is sorted we can all meet up again in the Labour Club in the Toon along with a lot more old drivers, Regards Larry.

That’s Billy Boden driving the Van Hee Transcon Larry, an old hand, sadly a few of the older lads now passed away but still a few get to the Club it will be nice to get together next year again. The Steenberg Bedford was Bill Ashworths and that’s his wife Joy and son Colin standing by the gate. Only Stephen the youngest son still alive now, Colin passed away a few years back. Lovely lad Stephen I think it was him who passed some Steenberg pics on to you. All the best Larry stay well. Franky.

Courtesy of Gary Thompson the driver of these two was Jack Thompson,Gary,s father

thechink1968:
Courtesy of Gary Thompson the driver of these two was Jack Thompson,Gary,s father

Well thanks for posting these photos, The Commer IMO A 1952 Reg, I would think that it was a T/S Engine, Where was this photo taken if you dont mind me asking :question: Regards Larry.