Old North East haulage companies (Part 1)

bumper:
been going through some old photos quayside before modernisation started. wonder how many remember this Volvo 89, copyright unknow

Hi Bumper I do remember the Tyne House Pub, Plus the wooden shanty to the left of the photo was The Unions Office for the Dockers on the Quay, Run by a decent sought of bloke I dont remember his name But he was a fair minded person, Not that Im a Union man but as I said he was fair minded, He got along with Ken Short who was also a fair person, Its a cracking shot too, Regards Larry.

Blair Demolition of Darlington DAF 3300 6x4 when new, taken at West Auckland.

img925B.jpg

Photo for Lawrence D
R RANKINS 2.jpg
Article from Commercial Motor June 1962
The entire issued share capital of R. Rankin and Sons, Ltd., of Newcastle upon Tyne, has been acquired by the Transport Development Group, Ltd. Price of the acquisition was £498,510 and involved the allotment of 144,230 Ordinary shares of 5s. each of Transport Development, credited as fully paid, and payment of £348,510 in cash.

Transport Development are to continue Rankin’s under their present name. Mr. R. Rankin will remain as managing director, but Mr. N. Rankin, Snr., and Mr. W. Rankin, Snr., have retired from the board.

This latest acquisition adds about 120 vehicles to T.D.G.'s total, nearly half of them tankers.

Thanks John, Its Rankins of Newcastle, The Red wagon is not the same firm, But Im sure my cousin will be pleased to see the tanker , Regards Larry.

The ERF tipper is Rankin flour mill of Rochford, Essex, which was part of Allied Mills.

F.Short & Sons. Bottlehouse Street St Peters, Then Green Lane Felling, Then taken over by Sam Anderson from Newhouse Glasgow. Regards Larry.

gingerfold:
The ERF tipper is Rankin flour mill of Rochford, Essex, which was part of Allied Mills.

Thanks for that gingerfold I didnt think it was but wasnt quite certain so added it just in case.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Eddie ( Ted ) Herdman worked for us for a number of years in the sixties, mostly on livestock. He left to,start as an O/D with a Dodge tipper on open cast. He eventually ended with three tippers, one driven by his son Edwin or Edward. All on quarry work. He had a yard at Swalwell near to the Metro Shopping Centre. I think they packed in a few years ago

Tyneside

Lawrence Dunbar:

Hiya,
Down to the quayside tip it in the Tyne.
thanks harry, long retired.