Old North East haulage companies (Part 1)

forster:

Lawrence Dunbar:

forster:
I remember John O’Sullivan from around 1965/66, when he was working as a painter for a builder in Byker, Harry Waller. Perhaps this was before he got into caravan transport. IIRC as Northumbrian Caravan Services (or Transport?) with a Ford ‘D’ Series. Some years later, I came across him at a yard at West Sleekburn (perhaps his operating center?) He was working on a canal boat which he owned.
Regards, Eric.

Hi Eric I remember John, Is his still about ?I havent seen him for years, Regards Larry.

Hi Larry, I’ve not been up there for about 15 or so years, so don’t know if he is still about.
Regards, Eric.

Hi Eric, I bumped into Eddie Hoffman on Sat. He reckons they are still on the go & still at Sleekburn, Which of course is nice to hear, Eddie as you most probabley remember was in the Caravan haulage himself, Regards Larry.

Lawrence, please remind me about Eddie Hoffman? His name is now clattering around my old brainbox, but I cannot remember anything else, just the name, bugger!!!

Edward Jennings:
Lawrence, please remind me about Eddie Hoffman? His name is now clattering around my old brainbox, but I cannot remember anything else, just the name, bugger!!!

Hi Edward, Eddie Hoffman worked for a Caravan firm Called Hartleys at Benton he went on to become an owner driver, When he finished hauling caravans about he went on to work as a subby for Fergusons of Blyth, He then went to subby for T James Bedlington Ltd, But he is now retired of course, He looks well along with Mary his good lady, Regards Larry.

Hi Larry, This ERF 66GX looks just the job very similar to the one I had. They were a well balanced looking wagon with an excellent drivetrain, Gardner 150, David Browb 657 box and Eaton 2 speed axle, very economical and reliable.
Cheers, Leyland 600

bedford 003.jpgWell this ERF Had the 220, ■■■■■■■ engine in My cousin Jeff Smiles sold it to the late John Young, He allways said it was good on fuel, But when I was running Aglime up to Scotland he used to struggle to get back without filling up, But myself with The S21 Gardner 150 engine I could do two runs almost before re-fueling, Regards Larry.

Thanks Lawrence, that would be Trevor Hartley of course, not to be confused with Ken Hartley of Meadowfield, who we did a lot of caravan work for “in the olden days” of the early/mid 70’s!

Aye Larry that sounds about right with the good old reliable Gardner 150.
Cheers Leyland 600

Edward Jennings:
Lawrence, wouldn’t a couple of pints of Henzel Oil be better to lubricate the senses? (Clean out the exhaust system at the same time, what?)

Smiles 8 wheel Atki.png

[attachment=1]Clevestone trans.jpg[/attachment

We did some tipper work for these in the early to mid 70’s (while contracted to Hawthorn Aggregates :blush: ) Good payer’s and on time :sunglasses:
Think they are still going?

just to let any ex siddle cook drivers know the funeral of Colin Edwards from lanchester will take place at Lanchester all saints church (opposite kings head ) on Friday 27 july at 10-15

jasper59:
just to let any ex siddle cook drivers know the funeral of Colin Edwards from lanchester will take place at Lanchester all saints church (opposite kings head ) on Friday 27 july at 10-15

I take it that Colin is front and centre in this picture? Guessing he was quite a character? Hope he has a good send off and regards to all his family. I’m sure he will be missed.

my old mans.

j w capstaff.jpgGreat Stuff, Thanks for sharing them, Regards Larry.

Hi Larry
Here’s Eddie’s 86