Old North East haulage companies (Part 1)

I was fortunate enough to come across these two at the Three Tuns pub in Hetton today. I know we’ve all seen them before but never tire of any photo’s.

Possibly going to the Houghton Feast parade ■■?
Tyneside

tyneside:
Tyneside

Aye Tyneside, it’s that time of year again …hope you are well mate. The Copt Hill is up for sale , yet again. Shame that a pub in a lovely location, can’t make money?
Anyone know the owner of the Vaux Commer? Spotted it parked outside a locked up premises in Hetton town centre, a few hours before i got the photo’s outside the Three Tuns.

Vaux Commer,restored and owned by Frank Willis, who also has the Leyland Comet in National Benzole livery

This one :question: snapped at the 2012 Tyne Tees run.
Oily

paulycats:

tyneside:
Tyneside

Aye Tyneside, it’s that time of year again …hope you are well mate. The Copt Hill is up for sale , yet again. Shame that a pub in a lovely location, can’t make money?
Anyone know the owner of the Vaux Commer? Spotted it parked outside a locked up premises in Hetton town centre, a few hours before i got the photo’s outside the Three Tuns.

Hi Paulycats
Keeping well Thanks hope you can say the same !!
We had heard the Copt was empty again. It has been through a few hands since my Father and Mother in Law were landlord & lady. It was part of the Vaux estate but was actually owned by Col. Nicholson along with one or two other Vaux pubs. In the late sixties the rent was £4.00 a week, that was for the pub and family accommodation.
If Paul Nicholson had not got the money people involved in the business Vaux and Swallow Hotels would have still been thriving. What happened was legal but totally immoral IMO.

Hi Oily This Leyland is currently advertised for sale in Historic Commercial and Vintage Truck magazine at about £20k, any takers. Having seen it at various rallys it is a magnificent restoration. Seen here in 2017 near Marsden Grotto, South Shields.
Cheers, Leyland 600

IMG_9379.JPG

Leyland600:
Hi Oily This Leyland is currently advertised for sale in Historic Commercial and Vintage Truck magazine at about £20k, any takers. Having seen it at various rallys it is a magnificent restoration. Seen here in 2017 near Marsden Grotto, South Shields.
Cheers, Leyland 600

As you say Leyland, she’s absolutely immaculate and credit to those who have taken the time,effort and expense to keep her that way.As for the £20k…sadly not me :cry:

It’s just been on the local BBC news, local long established tipper and plant hire co. Owen Pugh has gone bump!! Cash flow being the reason. Sad day. Regards Kev.

Thats a bad crack Kev, Owen Pugh have been operating for as far back as 1967 that I can remember. They were working over in Carlisle earlier this year.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Leyland600:
Thats a bad crack Kev, Owen Pugh have been operating for as far back as 1967 that I can remember. They were working over in Carlisle earlier this year.
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Founded in 1946 according to the tale on the BBC News web-site (Owen Pugh engineering firm calls in administrators - BBC News).

A couple from the Alan Sturge collection.
Oily

Postal:

Leyland600:
Cheers, Leyland 600.

Founded in 1946 according to the tale on the BBC News web-site (Owen Pugh engineering firm calls in administrators - BBC News).

The Pugh family have nothing to do with it now, Owens grandson runs Wansbeck plant hire I think they sold out to the board a few years back

Reading the Pugh company history the family sold up to a management buyout back in 2005. Reading on from there, it’s would appear that they have diversed so much and probably too quickly to sustain the growth? In essence, overstretched themselves in competitive markets. I sincerely hope that someone can be found to take over the company with as little job losses as possible. Not the ending to a local well known and esteemed company that we would wish for :frowning:
Very sad indeed.

Youre right mate definitely not the ending anyone wants

Always a shame when an old established company bites the dust, I suppose its a sign of the times and it wasn’t the family firm anymore that it used to be. The motors seemed to be everywhere these days too, mind you my old man said Pugh wasn’t the best of gaffers to work for when he drove for them for about 6 months or so back in the late 60’s, he was glad to get back to general haulage and an artic again. Sad all the same and I did like the livery they had. Franky.

Have heard that most of the drivers have been taken on by another firm was on BBC local radio news

Seems that they had over stretched themselves a bit as they weren’t getting the money in quick enough before it was going out or people not paying or paying short apparently the COE has lost his house as well

Unfortunately the building and civil engineering industry are synonymous with slow or non payment. Speaking from experience the big firms use the smaller ones as their bank accounts. I would presume that Owen Pugh would have a lot of suppliers ie fuel, plant spares, sub contractors, all those new Merc tippers will probably be on lease. All these companies will have to join a long queue to be paid and will probably get nothing. That in turn bounces down the line to their suppliers. This is not to mention all the employees concerned who will be worried for their futures. Just one big vicious circle and history keeps repeating itself. I sometimes think the limited company system is legalised fraud.
Tyneside

It often seems a fact that the more successful a company becomes then it has to grow to keep up with demand but that very situation leads to its downfall. I suppose you have to admire the smaller concerns that keep going but don’t grow beyond a certain size and just manage to tick over and keep their heads above water. I doubt if any sane person would try to start a company heavily involved with transport these days the disadvantages must outweigh the successes. In this case if Pugh’s drivers and other staff have managed to find other work then they’ve done well but I’m a little sceptical all have found new employment so soon. Franky.