Old livestock hauliers shropshire

Gardner 120:
If you mean Leyland VVT 813S then yes it was, a Chieftain. Malcolm Shaw doesn’t ring a bell - when was he at Haydons? I lost touch with which drivers they had from about 1980 to 1989 when they finished.

malc used to knock about the yard back in the sixties he were only a lad at the time and used to go with the drivers collecting an delivering cattle and such

A lovely shot of Leek market in what looks like the late 1950s. Haydon’s Albion in the distance.

Yorkie - Malcolm Shaw before my time but I will ask next time I’m up there.

Leek Market 1950s.jpg

Gardner 120:
A lovely shot of Leek market in what looks like the late 1950s. Haydon’s Albion in the distance.

Nearly as many Farmers as animals at the market.

Dave the Renegade:

Gardner 120:

Dave, I was thinking the same myself, must of been a special sale that day. What a great photo you can sense the atmosphere there. Reminds me of trips with my grandfather to Nelson, Penderryn and Abergavenny markets on sale days.
Speaking with my father on the weekend, he told me you can buy a horse for 10 quid and get a second one free. The upkeep is so expensive no one wants them. 4 quid a bale, 40/50 for the big round ones.
Hopefully you will have a good summer this year and get a few cuts harvested to bring those prices down.

Paul John:

Dave the Renegade:

Gardner 120:

Dave, I was thinking the same myself, must of been a special sale that day. What a great photo you can sense the atmosphere there. Reminds me of trips with my grandfather to Nelson, Penderryn and Abergavenny markets on sale days.
Speaking with my father on the weekend, he told me you can buy a horse for 10 quid and get a second one free. The upkeep is so expensive no one wants them. 4 quid a bale, 40/50 for the big round ones.
Hopefully you will have a good summer this year and get a few cuts harvested to bring those prices down.

Hi Paul,
Haven’t any horses myself,one cairn terrier is enough.A chap I know who delivers hay and straw with a couple of lorries told me that he used to sell a lot of small bales of hay to people that had ponies,but when the recession came,a lot could not afford to keep their horses and ponies.Your father is exactly right in what he says.Hope we do get a good summer,we haven’t had one since 2006.
Cheers Dave

Albion at Wharf Road - late 40s maybe early 50s

Another old Albion at Wharf Rd - early 1940s

Hiya…there’s been a dispersall sale at EC MEAR’s cattle hauliers from cellarhead this week.
i would think a few of you cattle drivers have seen them in the shropshire markets. i think they
run maybe a dozen trucks in the 70’s Albions Atkinson wagon and drag then later Merc’s.
John

Gardner 120:

Hiya gardner 120 i don’t think this photo is as old as you say (not knocking you)
the phone number is quite long (2204) that could be as late as the 70’s where
the other photo is just 4. it dose show what older trucks was been used right up
untill the plateing come along in 1968
cheers
john

3300John:

Gardner 120:

Hiya gardner 120 i don’t think this photo is as old as you say (not knocking you)
the other photo is just 4. it dose show what older trucks was been used right up
cheers
john

Our first phone was installed arround 1957 and had a four digit 2000 series number, Kidsgrove exchange. A single digit number like 4 would be pre second world war I would think, the photos are of course later than the phone number allocation.

3300John:

Gardner 120:

cheers
john

John, it’s definitely 1950s as the abbatoir isn’t even there (to the right of the wagon).

3300John:

bob-lad:
quality pic that gardner 120 used to know a lad 30 years ago charlie, he was involved with the haydon chaps but he drove a bedford flat for coopers north rode at the time great lad helped me out as a lad never forgot him

Hiya. now there,s a lad Charlie Robo…he was on for Coopers at north rode/ bollington on a DAF 2100 van but went back to Haydon,s on
a new ERF 4 wheeler on the Biddulph plastics job, work went slack and he came back to Coopers. i left coopers in 88 but charlie go fixed up on the Gradus Carpet cotract (still coopers trucks but blue and silver colour 6 legger) and he,s been there since.I spoke to him about 6 months back.
John

Thats my old man, he’s stillon coopers on the Gradus contract and still involved with Fred Haydon and the Haydon family now

kingswinford kit:
Hi all can anybody remember a livestock haulier from the Stafford area , called i think Sharrat .
They ran a Guy J artic would see it at Shrewsbury and Market Drayton auctions ? regards kk

yES I N=KNOW BARRY SHARRAT HE DRIVES FOR MILBANK (DAVID WATSON)TRUCKS IN STAFFORD ,IT WAS HIS DADS FIRM HJSHARRAT ,THEY USED TO RUN A SED ATKI THE GUY & I REMEMBER HIS BROTHER MICK HAD A TRANSCONTI,SADLY MICK DIED ON A RAILWAY CROSSIN IN BELGIUM( I THINK) I DONT NO IF HENRY THE DAD IS STILL OPERERATING

jake.b:

kingswinford kit:
Hi all can anybody remember a livestock haulier from the Stafford area , called i think Sharrat .
They ran a Guy J artic would see it at Shrewsbury and Market Drayton auctions ? regards kk

yES I N=KNOW BARRY SHARRAT HE DRIVES FOR MILBANK (DAVID WATSON)TRUCKS IN STAFFORD ,IT WAS HIS DADS FIRM HJSHARRAT ,THEY USED TO RUN A SED ATKI THE GUY & I REMEMBER HIS BROTHER MICK HAD A TRANSCONTI,SADLY MICK DIED ON A RAILWAY CROSSIN IN BELGIUM( I THINK) I DONT NO IF HENRY THE DAD IS STILL OPERERATING

Hi jake thanks for the info . I can remember that Guy at Market Drayton market i will try and find a picture regards kk

These next ones are of an AEC wagon & drag that was bought second hand from an operator from Shrewsbury, registration CNT163N. My Uncle thinks it came from ‘Perrys’ but I think he might mean Parrys of Bayston Hill, not been able to confirm that yet though…

This is the original colour scheme.

Now in Stuarts Transport colours.

any idear what happened to the trailer in the picture any information would be usefull thankyou
?

legion:
These next ones are of an AEC wagon & drag that was bought second hand from an operator from Shrewsbury, registration CNT163N. My Uncle thinks it came from ‘Perrys’ but I think he might mean Parrys of Bayston Hill, not been able to confirm that yet though…

This is the original colour scheme.

Now in Stuarts Transport colours.

any idear what happened to the trailer in the picture any information would be usefull thankyou
?

When Stuarts finished the trailer was sold to a local cattle dealer called Leon Courtenay and was soon sold on to Colin Davey in Launceston to be reunited with the the box off the truck, now mounted on an ex Sid Knowles Bedford TM. I am not sure if the trailer had a further life after Colin

Thank you thats a great help

regarding stuarts AEC and trailer reg.GNT163N this was bought new by m j parrys. I drove this for them from new and delivered it to stewarts when they bought it. When at m j parrys i used to do 6 or 7 drops round west midlands also used fetch sheep from isle of islay in scotland also once a year used to fetch show cattle fron Dublin to smithfield show.

charliemjp

charliemjp:
regarding stuarts AEC and trailer reg.GNT163N this was bought new by m j parrys. I drove this for them from new and delivered it to stewarts when they bought it. When at m j parrys i used to do 6 or 7 drops round west midlands also used fetch sheep from isle of islay in scotland also once a year used to fetch show cattle fron Dublin to smithfield show.

charliemjp

Good to have you on Trucknet Charlie,lets have some more of your tales of your time on the road.
Cheers Dave.

Albion RF 249 and 3 drivers early 1960s on a deserted Wharf Rd, Biddulph. That was a garage on the left and the yard was in the gap in the hedge - HUGE (unwanted) Sainsburys now and a few yards behind where the photographer is stood is an extremely busy island on the A527 by-pass. Back then you could’ve slept in the road, now it takes you 5 minutes to get across it …