Lloyds of Ludlow memories

Had the pleasure of meeting and speaking to last remaining driver Tony yesterday as we waited to unload at Camtrex in Birmingham.
Been driving wagons since before I was born yet I can still sense the passion and pride in his voice that he still enjoys it.
I opened up my vlog with some footage of the last working lloyds truck if you wish to see the link below…

I still think back to the days before the Ludlow by-pass when heading to Liverpool early in the morning. There were usually one or two Bedford livestock lorries on the forecourt of Teme Garage, freshly washed and ready for another day’s work.

Lynxman wrote:

Hiya boys Some sad news for the Haulage and preservation fans
Tony Lloyd of Lloyds of Ludlow passed away yesterday ( Tuesday )
Tony was a big A.E.C. fan and attended many rallies with his fine preserved fleet, He was also a well known Haulier for many years, and run steel from South Wales for decades. He will leave a big gap in the preservation field and will be missed by many
friends and enthusiasts R.I.P.
Richard

Richard,
sad news. I’ve seen many of the Lloyds of Ludlow trucks around over the years , the working 113’s etc hauling steel in their coil liners around South Wales years ago and the marvellous preserved fleet at shows. RIP Mr Lloyd.
Neil.

GAH1950 wrote:

hello all.
condolences to mr lloyds family at this painfull loss ,mr lloyd has not enjoyed the best of health for a long time now,i am sure that fergie and friends will continue to show the fine examples of trucks that were once the backbone of the haulage scene that existed many years ago, rip tony.
graham.

Mercman123 wrote:

Yes it is sad he passed away .But his name will go on with the old lorries that they show .Its been a funny thing with Lloyds when I was young about 14 (yes I’m not young now ! ) they were massive here thats Shropshire on the same par as Swains of Stretton ,and Caddies from Oswestry. But when I packed up my HGV in 1995 they were getting smaller and smaller you used too see them at Shotton quight a lot . Then they packed up all together. I now see one now and again I think it must be a ghost one ! There is a good book that I have got called Road transport wales and border by Paul Heaton iot is very good and I would recommed it too any one to see it. There is about 30 black and white pictures the firm and the old ones he used too show and another loverly picture on the front cover of i think a scania 113 going over the old bridge in the lloyd s town in colour. It would be nice for all the pictures people have of Loyds and the stories too be posted here .Well enough of me RIP Mr Lloyds . Tony

Some of the restored fleet at this years Swansea festival of transport.

Hiya… very sad…i did’nt know the man…untill i was at Oswestry a couple of years back i’d just got my DAF 3300
i was waiting for the mid wales run to stop for lunch… Tony came talking to me about the DAF, I asked if he had
any trucks in the road run ,… just three AEC’s he said… so i asked if he had something to do with Lloyds to which
he told me who he was and we shook hands… he was a really nice chap.a sad loss to his family and friends RIP
John

That is extremely sad news.

I was lucky enough to last meet Tony, David and Phil at the Ludlow yard back in March.
Tony, despite being obviously very ill, was still full of enthusiasm and spared me lots of time to see each of his AEC’s and tell me the stories behind them all.

One of his AEC Mk3 Mandator units he actually collected new from Southall works with no cab, then delivered a load with it before taking it to the coachbuilder to have a cab fitted!.

An amazing man, a true gent and an old school haulage businessman that was absolutely true to his word and handshake.

My condolences to his Wife and Daughters, and of course his employees who all regarded him as a close friend.

Always an immaculately turned out fleet –

My favourite preserved Lloyds vehicle:

And one of the final “workers”

The funeral is on Saturday and I believe the family will be lining-up the entire fleet in tribute.

i all great too see stories and pictures are coming through .Tony

One of the last Scania’s . i’d better not send any of the pictures I might be sued ! Tony

Nice one- the Scania is the one I posted above – one of the last / maybe the last runner?

Some of Lloyds fleet seen at Hereford last year. RIP Tony Lloyd.

sorry to hear that regards to all the family and freinds, :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Does any one know who drives the scania in Loyds colours ? Tony

Don’t know who drives it Tony,but followed it up Leominster bypass a couple of months ago.I think they have more than the one.
Cheers Dave.

I often see a ginger haired chap driving on of those Scania’s, he’s been there years.

I remember one of the early 110 Scania’s (H reg I think) came in for its first service, it ran fine but had a heavy knock deep in the engine, we dropped the sump to find the crankshaft snapped clean in half across one of the webs.
The only Scania I ever saw this happen to, it was a faulty casting and it got a new engine on its first service !
They ran quite a lot of 110’s in the 70’s

Lloyds still run two Scanias, both driven by older guys that have worked for Tony for many years.
When the rest of the fleet was sold off, these two drivers didn’t want to retire, so Tony kept two lorries on the road for them.