Old haulier and driver from north wales

we ran a small company, various motors, atkis, erfs, fodens, all gardeners 5lw 6lw 150 180 240. three with ■■■■■■■ erf 22o atki ex pandora. we converted to a twin steer unit and a ■■■■■■ from jand c finney with av6 proto type called a vim or a vam but thats another story . We ran 3 guys, 1unit with 505 aec an eight wheel tipper with a 150 and a unit with a 180 ex peter mcullams. We had a layland beaver witth a 600 12 speed two leaver job from a firm from aspitra. Lovely motor when it went .also an erf 4 wheeler from ■■■■■■■■ It had a gardener 120 d brown 6 speed box and two speed axle ran on fresh air. A load of bmc dodges, bedfords, seddons with p6 r6 leyland 375 s and two with 5 lws. We ran general goods ect stone dust to most ncb pits all over south wales and loaded pulp back from avonmouth also paper for the north wales paper co, later taken over by j and j makin then bibbys. that and the miners strike finished us off. I then went coach driving which i enjoyed very much .alas my legs have gone front and back ones . now trying to keep my self occupied by learning computer as you can see not very good yet barrry waddy

b.waddy:
we ran a small company, various motors, atkis, erfs, fodens, all gardeners 5lw 6lw 150 180 240. three with ■■■■■■■ erf 22o atki ex pandora. we converted to a twin steer unit and a [zb] from jand c finney with av6 proto type called a vim or a vam but thats another story . We ran 3 guys, 1unit with 505 aec an eight wheel tipper with a 150 and a unit with a 180 ex peter mcullams. We had a layland beaver witth a 600 12 speed two leaver job from a firm from aspitra. Lovely motor when it went .also an erf 4 wheeler from ■■■■■■■■ It had a gardener 120 d brown 6 speed box and two speed axle ran on fresh air. A load of bmc dodges, bedfords, seddons with p6 r6 leyland 375 s and two with 5 lws. We ran general goods ect stone dust to most ncb pits all over south wales and loaded pulp back from avonmouth also paper for the north wales paper co, later taken over by j and j makin then bibbys. that and the miners strike finished us off. I then went coach driving which i enjoyed very much .alas my legs have gone front and back ones . now trying to keep my self occupied by learning computer as you can see not very good yet barrry waddy

Welcome to the forum Barry,have you got any photos of those wagons,would be nice to see them.

Chris. :sunglasses:

Get practicing putting some pictures on Mr Waddy…

Ya beat Me to it :frowning:

Hiya …welcome on site barry…you must have more to tell us…where did you operate from…
I’am in Buckley nr the A55
John

Welcome to the site Barry,good to have another member coming from Wales.Sounds as if you are the same generation as most of us on here. Will look forward to seeing some pics of your wagons.
Cheers Dave.

Hello and welcome friend :smiley:

Welcome to the site b.waddy, fairly new to the site as well. I remember your firm,was your yard on the coast road just past greenfield maybe where rj jones are now Seem to remember you had an early tri;axle trailer running on single 10.00x20 tyres some pictures would be great :slight_smile:
Regards F2000 boy

F2000 boy:
Welcome to the site b.waddy, fairly new to the site as well. I remember your firm,was your yard on the coast road just past greenfield maybe where rj jones are now Seem to remember you had an early tri;axle trailer running on single 10.00x20 tyres some pictures would be great :slight_smile:
Regards F2000 boy

our yard was between the old trasport cafe and the boot and ship pub my nephew put some of our old motors on a waddys haulage ltd on google hope that is some to you b,waddy

This is a shot of a tractor Ralph Jones used for shunting out of Oakenholt Mill in the 80’s It had previously run out of the Mill at Disley.

A shot of the new trading title which Bibby’s created after the J & J Makin takeover, we had quite a number of these liveried tractors and Tautliners in service with the 3 Paper mills and the Converters at Rochdale. Initially in '85 we adopted the Blue and White for the the Makin division but Bibby’s preferred the Red and White ! They had excellent taste you see !!! Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:
A shot of the new trading title which Bibby’s created after the J & J Makin takeover, we had quite a number of these liveried tractors and Tautliners in service with the 3 Paper mills and the Converters at Rochdale. Initially in '85 we adopted the Blue and White for the the Makin division but Bibby’s preferred the Red and White ! They had excellent taste you see !!! Cheers Bewick.

By 'eck Dennis,any excuse to poach another’s thread with your pictures,there is a link I know,but it’s very tenuous!!!

David

A parasite is the correct term Dave ! Here.s ashot of one of the liveried T/liners we ran for Disley mill,after Bibby’s had sold it to Kruger a French canadian firm.

Later '80’s shot here of a Rochdale based C38 8 LXC engine ERF coupled to new single wheeled Task tandem.

And another,of a pair of Rochdale based ERF’s in the depot at Milnthorpe,the Rochdale motors mainly ran out of Flint and Disley Mills and ,of course the Converters at Rochdale.This is a rare shot to catch them at Milnthorpe,they probably had got up this end with pulp for the Mill at Beetham.

There is a proper link here Dennis, so post as many shots of your fleet as you like. I for one, enjoy the real down to earth shots of a proper hard working operation, which Bewick Transport surely was.

Regards Paul

Thanks for that kind comment Paul,don’t get annoyed with the wisecracks from some of the “stars” on the site they are only trying to be “politically correct” in their old age !!! Something none of them ever could be as long as they have a rear oriface !! plus they are tempting me to take the “bait”!!! Salt of the earth they are really ! Cheers Dennis.

Welcome Barry its took me 4 years to learn how to put pictures on dont worry about the pc brigade

This shot,I believe,definitely is a solid conection between ■■■■■■■ and N. Wales if Barry Waddy is correct with his Reg. Nos. YEC 314S Sed Atk 180LXB,DB 6spd.,Eaton 2 spd. We ran it from new in late '77 on the paper mill contract alongside a sister Sed Atk and some LXB & ■■■■■■■ Seddon 32/4’s plus a Guy Big J 180LXB.We eventually replaced these motors with Scanias so I guess thats why this Sed/Atk ended up in “bad hands” in N. Wales !!! The shot shows the SA stood in the depot coupled to a 36ft trailer loaded with Paper from Henry Cookes mill at Beetham. It looks like it already has a reload organised for back to the mill by the m/t pallets atop of the load.

mr bewick that photo of YEC 314 S was great we bought it from J W RATCLIFFE ASHTON IN MAKERFIELD ,WHOM MY FARTHER became very pally with and bought 70 percent of our lorrys from including two A licenses on an old thornycrofty 4 cylender petrol and a austin petrol ,i think he paid 2000 pounds each A LOT of money them days for what they were ex BRS,GREAT photo thanks thanks BARRY WADDY

Bewick:
This is a shot of a tractor Ralph Jones used for shunting out of Oakenholt Mill in the 80’s It had previously run out of the Mill at Disley.

Dennis I used to deliver reels of paper to Makins at Rochdale Halfpenny Street on the run in to the mill I think ? Also I used to load at a place at Disley, it was up a narrow road, the under a low bridge, Its was fiber drums for the pill factory at Morpeth would this be the same place you are refering to, Im talking late 90s.Regards Larry