Old livestock hauliers shropshire

Thanks Topline , i can remember only too well back in the early 70s .walking up towards Eagle lane past Devis’s animal storage sheds . After a warm nights storage the smell was something to behold!
From North Wales again i can remember J H Jones from Llanwrst and thier Foden 8 legger a regular visiter regards kk

Another quality photo from your superb album Top line!

That must have been a beast to wash! I remember as a 12 year old dragging the hose and brush into the back of our own 6 legs, slipping on the wooden gate, starting at the cab end and working my way down until floor, walls, gate and trellis sides were all done. Hard graft that cleared the sinuses!

143topline:
yates used to do some slaughtering for me . they had a commer early 60s, and more recently a volvo f7 on livestock

curnock:
my dad drove for w g yates of newtown bloxwich about 74-75 they had a six wheeler aec marshall,he done the markets at hereford gloucester market drayton and newport shrops just to name a few,would be very grateful of any pictures.shaun

I’m having trouble with this brilliant thread, for some reason if I click to go to the 12th page of the thread, the site logs me out & therefore I’m unable to view the photos after(this page) page 11 of 12. Can someone tell me what’s going on or am I the only one having this problem.

I’ve had to post this reply to gain access to page 12 which is very odd. I’d come close to throwing the laptop out of the window lol. Please keep the superb photos & memories coming through.

Happy new year everyone.

BB

143topline:
thomas bros llanerchymedd, anglesey . erf eight legger with williams wrexham body at devis great bridge. in background is rear of rawsons atkinson eight legger from hull0

top photo that please share some more any more north wales such as je jones elfed bartley gl williams etc ? :wink:

143topline:
thomas bros llanerchymedd, anglesey . erf eight legger with williams wrexham body at devis great bridge. in background is rear of rawsons atkinson eight legger from hull0

top photo that one loving these old photos i remember more of the north wales hauliers je jones elfed bartley gl williams dennis thomas as a kid any of hese in the collection yours hopefully :wink:

143topline:

would that be porkys atki-alan

I scanned this from a book on the 70s - it’s from Birkenhead, November 1974 and shows Welsh farmers protesting against the import of Irish cattle - top right is the Woodside Hotel. The driver of the H reg Ford looks nervous enough - Does anyone know the firm?

Woodside.jpg

Here’s a rare one A Sentinel from Shrewsbury, horizontal engine mounted under the chassis. Looks like publicity pictures taken at the works

bob-lad:
quality pic that gardner 120 used to know a lad 30 years ago charlie, he was involved with the haydon chaps but he drove a bedford flat for coopers north rode at the time great lad helped me out as a lad never forgot him

Hiya. now there,s a lad Charlie Robo…he was on for Coopers at north rode/ bollington on a DAF 2100 van but went back to Haydon,s on
a new ERF 4 wheeler on the Biddulph plastics job, work went slack and he came back to Coopers. i left coopers in 88 but charlie go fixed up on the Gradus Carpet cotract (still coopers trucks but blue and silver colour 6 legger) and he,s been there since.I spoke to him about 6 months back.
John

This is one of AC Shropshire’s… Does that count… :smiley: :smiley:

Gardner 120:
I scanned this from a book on the 70s - it’s from Birkenhead, November 1974 and shows Welsh farmers protesting against the import of Irish cattle - top right is the Woodside Hotel. The driver of the H reg Ford looks nervous enough - Does anyone know the firm?

yes friend i remember the bowling ford they were from FISH FOLD FARM WESTHOUGHTON and were regulars at the old manchester meat market on water street anybody else out there remember water st abatoir?

Thanks for the info mate. In 1977 I went to abbatoirs in Oldham and Rochdale but I don’t think I ever went to Water St.

Here’s a couple from Haydon’s garage in the 60s before the days of H & S and plugging into diagnostic machines. Albion I think or maybe an S type Bedford.

The bloke in the pit is my Great Uncle Tom Haydon - a lovely man, much loved and missed by all who knew him. Passed away 1993.

I changed the oil on my Cavalier over that pit - very dodgy as it fitted on by about 1/4 inch each side …

Garage a.jpg

Garage Tom b.jpg

As Ethan123 says the Ford at Birkenhead was operated by Jimmy Bowling they had a KM around the same time and usually Commers before that,they took a lot of pigs into Gills at Bolton.There was a well specced Foden 8 legger back in the 80’s from that side of Lancashire with Bowling on the front with a 2/3 deck pig type body,I was told it was owned by the the same family. I saw a double deck artic with that name on the side just recently so I’m presuming that was theirs as well. I worked with an ex Bowlings driver Tommy Arrowsmith on and off from 75-82.

Gardner 120:

My late Brother John used to drive for Troughtons Transport based at Falfield in Gloucestershire back in the late 1960s. They used to run several lorries up to Birkenhead to load Irish cattle. I’d love to see photos of their lorries. They ran several Thames Traders, a Ford D series & a Seddon Artic. I believe they also ran an Ergomatic cabbed AEC towards the end. Lovely memories.

BB

jonto:
Here’s a rare one A Sentinel from Shrewsbury, horizontal engine mounted under the chassis. Looks like publicity pictures taken at the works

Some lovely photos of a rare vehicle there Jonto, thank you very much for posting them.

BB

i know its not a shropshire haulier but can anyone give me some info on this company.

Been up to Biddulph today - just got back - M6 a nightmare. Found a photo album chock full of beautiful colour photos of Haydon’s wagons - alas, my Great Uncle didn’t want to part with it even temporarily :frowning: :confused: :cry: but I’ve managed to borrow 4 or 5 other snaps starting with this lovely Bedford taken outside Albion House, Wharf Rd, Biddulph in 1960 and featuring my Great Uncle Tom and my Great Grandma not to mention faithful hounds looking very clean (they were usually grubbing around the garage and very oily)

I will have to work on a way to get a scanner to the album!

Gardner 120:
Been up to Biddulph today - just got back - M6 a nightmare. Found a photo album chock full of beautiful colour photos of Haydon’s wagons - alas, my Great Uncle didn’t want to part with it even temporarily :frowning: :confused: :cry: but I’ve managed to borrow 4 or 5 other snaps starting with this lovely Bedford taken outside Albion House, Wharf Rd, Biddulph in 1960 and featuring my Great Uncle Tom and my Great Grandma not to mention faithful hounds looking very clean (they were usually grubbing around the garage and very oily)

I will have to work on a way to get a scanner to the album!

is that leyland parked up behind that van body next to the house a haydons motor ?also do you know a malcom shaw he used to knock around haydons yard when he was younger

If you mean Leyland VVT 813S then yes it was, a Chieftain. Malcolm Shaw doesn’t ring a bell - when was he at Haydons? I lost touch with which drivers they had from about 1980 to 1989 when they finished.