Old livestock hauliers shropshire

Hi Charlie
A couple of pics i was telling you about are on Marks, Scrapbook Memories pages 162 & 214.
Cheers Pete

charliemjp:
regarding stuarts AEC and trailer reg.GNT163N this was bought new by m j parrys. I drove this for them from new and delivered it to stewarts when they bought it. When at m j parrys i used to do 6 or 7 drops round west midlands also used fetch sheep from isle of islay in scotland also once a year used to fetch show cattle fron Dublin to smithfield show.

charliemjp

just reading desert drivers message about davenports , i new brian and jack from the markets .both tidy and always have wind up
there dad albert was a character , rember 1 night he smashed thames trader up. the kettle was always on in there yard. as you might gath i am new on here. i have seen a picture of there lorry and drag on here. charlie

Hi boys
Charlie welcome to TN Your right always a brew on. You never knew if Jack RIP was joking or not and he had a nick name for everyone have you any photos of their trucks?

Regards Keith.

dessert driver:
Hi boys
Charlie welcome to TN Your right always a brew on. You never knew if Jack RIP was joking or not and he had a nick name for everyone have you any photos of their trucks?

Regards Keith.

hi keith still picking thigs up. i rember eddie morgan well he used to help parrys out when busy. did youcarry on livestock after davenports. the only iivestock i do now movingchickens. had 22 years at m jparrys but thedrivers you meet i e in markets make the job regards charlie

HI boys
Charlie, the accident that Albert had was that on a back road from Beeston lights to Bunbury. Jack told me that was where he lost his license (over the limit).After that Mrs Davenport used to do the driving. She still lives in Aston just past the mill towards Wrenbury. Jack trained as a chef in the RAF and as such used to be very fussy about his food.He used to come across as miserable but wasn’t, a great bloke RIP.
After they packed up I did a bit of relief driving for Dave Straw then started to work for Geoff Mayer plant hire fitting and driving his lowloader That was 19 years ago and I’m still there How things have changed in the livestock game since then.

Regards Keith.

hi aii hi kieth just trying to think of davenports trucks. i can rember 6 wheeler but commer comes to mind , could be wrong. groccotts did livestock mainly ridged but had 1 artic trailer .we used to use there wash in prees . handy when del pigs to west midlands and got to go to birkenhead for irish cattle . there was 4 wheeler light green allways in shrewsbury. i think he was from aston way . when you said where you work i see the artic , they del plant to shawbury for minshalls did building. used have a chat to driver regards charlie

hi charlie
davenports had red aec marshalls & a lad cabbed leyland or dodge (I only remember lad cabbed lorry being spare in early 70s) then went on to volvos. The light green wheeler u remember in shrewsbury from the aston area would belong to eddie doe he run a tk then after that commers, he lived across the road from davenports, im pretty sure before he went on his own he drove for albert davenport driving a lad cabbed leyland or dodge. Do u remember warren watson (my dad) we ran mainly d series fords & an aec marshall, we used to go in shrewsbury every week. mark

HI ALL HI MARK YOU ARE RIGHT ON 6 WHEELER DAVENPORTS. WHERE I GOT COMMER FROM , MUST BE MY AGE. IT WAS EDDIE ON 4 WHEELER . GOT D SERIES WORKING ON MARSHALL . I HAD D SERIES AT PARRYS AND BEFORE THAT 2 THAMES TRADERS WE COULD ONLY DRIVE THEM BECAUSE ONLY 18 OLD. WE USED TO TAKE CHASSIS TO BE WEIGHED . THINK WEIGHT HAD TO BE UNDER 3 . 5 . I BET YOU WOULDNOT GET AWAY WITHTHAT NOW. WHAT WAS FARMER CALLED BY GROCCOTS ON A 41 . WAS IT CALLED TREMELLOS DOWN LANE THANKS CHARLIE

Hi boys
Charlie the farmer would have been Matsons The farm belong to an estate and he was a tenant although by the way he acted you would have thought he owned all of North Shropshire. The estate has just sold the farm house and we have had a machine there cleening up. I think Matsons still rent the ground.
I remember talking to a lad driving a Volvo for the chicken feed co at Shawbury was that you? If you see our lowloader it is usally me driving it so give me a wave.
The weight limit for Hgv used to be under 3 ton unladen. I used to have a TK 12.75t gross that we took the body off and fitted it with twist locks. The mudgaurds were fitted to the body so when we weighed the chassis only with single wheels on the rear it came out at 2,17 .It turned out that we did all that for nothing as when we got to Wardles Fenns bank to weight it the chap in the bridge asked us what we wanted on the ticket :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Regards Keith

hi all hi dave the rengade been looking through a lot off your photoes. really good , makes me wish i took more when in cattle markets. i was vintage ploughing with finnley last week good fun , i was the apprentice . got pic off a vulcan with 1 st 3decker sheep box thornes made for parrys. all the ones i i dave are off parrys . trying to get one of there lowloader trailors i used them bringing cattle from ireland with them. people say that they have seen them on sale. dont no where keith it was me at shawbury regards to all charlie

charliemjp:
hi all hi dave the rengade been looking through a lot off your photoes. really good , makes me wish i took more when in cattle markets. i was vintage ploughing with finnley last week good fun , i was the apprentice . got pic off a vulcan with 1 st 3decker sheep box thornes made for parrys. all the ones i i dave are off parrys . trying to get one of there lowloader trailors i used them bringing cattle from ireland with them. people say that they have seen them on sale. dont no where keith it was me at shawbury regards to all charlie

Hi Charlie,
All the photo’s that I have of markets with lorries loading or unloading have been taken in the last two years.I never got around the markets years ago,as I was mainly on tippers.My cousin Dennis Lewis from Canon Pyon used to drive for Patrick’s on livestock,then later had his own lorry.He ran a Scania four wheeler,then moved up to six wheelers until he packed up aged 72.
Sadly he passed away soon after he finished.I will ask his wife if she has pictures of his lorries.I was his CPC holder while he operated.
Cheers Dave.

charliemjp:
HI ALL HI MARK YOU ARE RIGHT ON 6 WHEELER DAVENPORTS. WHERE I GOT COMMER FROM , MUST BE MY AGE. IT WAS EDDIE ON 4 WHEELER . GOT D SERIES WORKING ON MARSHALL . I HAD D SERIES AT PARRYS AND BEFORE THAT 2 THAMES TRADERS WE COULD ONLY DRIVE THEM BECAUSE ONLY 18 OLD. WE USED TO TAKE CHASSIS TO BE WEIGHED . THINK WEIGHT HAD TO BE UNDER 3 . 5 . I BET YOU WOULDNOT GET AWAY WITHTHAT NOW. WHAT WAS FARMER CALLED BY GROCCOTS ON A 41 . WAS IT CALLED TREMELLOS DOWN LANE THANKS CHARLIE

Hi charlie welcome to trucknet that D series you had at parrys was that the one paul started on can remember going with him in that with a trailer on the back as well cheers ian

Charlie, I have some pictures form the brochure that Geoff had made for the CATTLELINK service, with YAW 217 T on the the front. I went to Wexford a few weeks ago for a dinner for Toddy O’Brien who has now retired from County Wexford Farmers Marts, wishes to be remembered to you… I am looking for that picture taken in the Fox at Bayston Hill with you and most of all the drivers at Christmas 1970, John Tomlins was amongst them! I will post the collection of pictures onto this website, when i launch the the book in January 2012 about " The Parry Family Haulage "etc,etc.this will be a best seller!
Regards and many thanks to you all for this wonderful website.
David P

charliemjp:

Can remember Parrys at Hereford market in the 70s with a AEC 8 legger stock box as well as delivering to Barrets and Baird at Great Bridge . Did they do any Irish work ? regards kk

hi all hi kingswinsford kit .reading previos about brierly hill and barrets and baird . on parrys we would brierly evey week and barrets every day.tomlinsons kingswinsford was another regular. what would happen we would have a number of drops. we called it bread round. we were told at parrys had 32 different clients in west midlands alone. fields at gornall being oldest.great bridge never handy with draw bar plus one top side dudley on fork in road . parrys did a lot cattle from ireland and general regards to all charlie

Gardner 120:
Banbury 1992 or 1993 again

the light green ERF was one of wm rowe&sons from elford nr tamworth EDH ***T i think the reg letters were

Gardner 120:

the light green ERF was one of wm rowe&sons from elford nr tamworth EDH ***T i think the reg letters were

CRAIG-D:

Gardner 120:

the light green ERF was one of wm rowe&sons from elford nr tamworth EDH ***T i think the reg letters were[/quote
Great memory Craig it was EDH 865T 180 Gardener

Wharf Rd Biddulph late 80s - the Leyland was a 1926 but never worked for Haydons (was bought in 1961 and restored). From left - Fred Haydon, John Haydon (founder) Tom Haydon and Simon (plus an ERF 4 wheeler)

The other photo is Chelford market December 1977 and some rather clean looking wood! Fred and Tom Haydon but I don’t know who the other chap is I’m afraid.

Not a photo I know but a memory for anyone who drove a Gardner back in the day. Provided by David Machin (sadly passed away March 2010 far too young) who was a driver at J Haydons in his teens (small Commer) and then HGV. Dave was an all round good egg and nice bloke. He wrote this about Gardner cold start and called it, Pyro-technical Start Up;

“I used to lift off the interior bonnet, a pain if you had a lot of kit with you, and then take off the air intake hose. Get a piece of rag or rolled up paper, light it, press starter with one hand, let fire be drawn into engine and make sure window was down to discard fire once started. It (Gardner 120) usually always started up straight away. One could use ether, but it wasn’t recommended with a Gardner. That’s probably why they were near always wound up in a morning.The trick was to have a good battery and not let go of the key until she fired! I’m sure this brings back memories for a lot of truckers, also a sigh of relief once your Gardner was running and sounding like a sewing machine (once the smoke had cleared). Gardner, the bosses motor.”

I myself remember sitting in the cab on frosty mornings while the ERF would shake and rattle, engine turn getting higher and higher pitched until finally spluttering into life blotting the yard out with smoke. The whole thing took about 5 minutes and this was without any pyrotechnics!