Old Hull Haulage companys

moomooland:
0This old Foden S36 shunter, operated by Slater’s of Hull, looks like it’s seen better days.

Its a S 39 The S36 Had a single windscreen, One of the best motors I ever drove as a owner driver, With the 12 speed Foden gear box with a gear for every hill, :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: , Regards Larry.

moomooland:
0Bit of TIR work for this L.A.D. cabbed Leyland Beaver operated by Hunters of Hull.

That looks like a longer wheel base unit, I wonder if it was standard or had been stretched ? Cheers Bewick.

moomooland:
0This old Foden S36 shunter, operated by Slater’s of Hull, looks like it’s seen better days.

And the sheets look like a bag of ■■■■■ as well, unless it was only on internal movements ? Cheers Bewick.

H. Falkingham Ltd Bright Street Hull.

moomooland:
0H. Falkingham Ltd Bright Street Hull.

Also known as Hull and Glasgow Road Services I think?

Chris Webb:

moomooland:
0H. Falkingham Ltd Bright Street Hull.

Also known as Hull and Glasgow Road Services I think?

Hi Chris,IIRC, The Hull & Glasgow Transport had a connection with East Yorkshire Transport Or Richardsons of Hull, Regards Larry.

Hi i am mick mangan just retired after 50yrs driving trucks around the east riding and further .i drove for Brian Rooke at Barmby marsh his 1st driverThen i went to G, Hunter & sons at Beverley for two years until they packed up . so i bought a Albion Clydesdale off them and had a go on my own, for 17yrs until the miners strike in 1984.after that i went to B,M, Cassidy at Bursea,for a couple of years you had to run the tyres on his lorrys un til they went bang. then i went to John Thompson at Bishop Burton on a wagon and drag ,till that firm went bang , then to H,B,Holt.&sons at Howden I had a 3 year break from holts and went to drive for the best firm i ever drove for MAT.until their demise , then i went back to Holts Whilst at mat at hull i met a lad who was looking for a job and i got him a job at mat he had been driving for Eclipse transport for 23yrs anybody know him? his name is Peter Clifford same age as me 71.vary good mate of mine now

.i believe G, Hunter &Sons was a old Hull haulage company until it was bought by J.LAWSON of hull bridge beverley, a local builder in them days, i think they lasted about 3 years until they were wound up and i bought the Albion Clydesdale i had been driving there, also another driver bought the wagon he had been driving , it was a Commer ts3 and T,B, Lunn was the driver.

Another one from the archives :smiley:

Jackson Mills Ltd Hull.

moomooland:

0Jackson Mills Ltd Hull.

No doubt the forerunner of Jacmill Transport

Spud1960:

moomooland:

0Jackson Mills Ltd Hull.

No doubt the forerunner of Jacmill Transport

Were Jacmill Transport and J. Marr one and the same company? When I worked in Reading back in the late 60’s we used to service/repair Marr’s fleet of BMC FGK’s that were based at Hook in Hampshire (lovely having those in the garage overnight! :open_mouth: ) but we also had a Jacmill Foden S36 unit come in once with a broken front spring and I’m guessing this brought the fish down from Hull overnight.

Away from Hull (but still ‘fishy’ related :laughing: ) we fitted a replacement engine to a green FFK dropsider owned by a Wally Hebb who was a fish merchant from Grimsby and it stood in our yard for months as presumably he couldn’t pay the bill! Eventually it went for scrap without ever going back on the road. :unamused:

Pete.

moomooland:

0Jackson Mills Ltd Hull.

Do you mind if I copy the Jackson Mills for a local history group in Hull? Thank you

Spud1960:

moomooland:
0John Kitchen of Hull.

Looks like old Hedon Road at the corner of Wyke Street, although I don’t remember John Kitchen

Ex J D Riby Foden

moomooland:

0Jackson Mills Ltd Hull.

Jackson Mills was a Hull Fish merchant

Wheel Nut:
Do you mind if I copy the Jackson Mills for a local history group in Hull? Thank you

Feel free cant remember were the picture came from have had it quite a while.

Here’s an incident from way way back!

A Fordson four wheeler operated by A.E. Jenkinson of Hull has had a coming together with a cyclist at the junction of
Anlaby Road and Park Street in Hull.

The Fordson forward-control 7V range made its debut in 1937 and was powered by a 30hp sidevalve V8 engine.
The distinctive cab for some reason featured a sunroof over the passenger seat,

GKH 725 1943 REG Ford Thames , Great stuff, It would have had the Ford V 8 side valve engine, With twin distributors fitted in the front of the engine block , This used to cause minor problems when they got wet, WD 40 Didnt exist in those long gone days, I did in fact own a Ford V8 Pilot car MTN 209 I948 reg, It was a dream to drive in those good old days, I still have the old log book , Regards Larry.

A 1966 4x2 Dodge tractor unit operated by H. Falkingham Ltd of Bright Street Hull makes its way along Jameson Street in the centre of Hull.

A couple more from the archives of Wakes of Hull.

AEC Wakes of Hull-001.JPG

Ant pictures of Edward Cowie’s old motors? Think they lived Hornsea way out??