E hull transport of bedford

Hi guys does anyone remember my dad who worked for Hulls in the 1960s? His name is Jerzy Hajduk he is polish and worked as a mechanic. I saw some posts that mentioned a Jerry, is this my dad? I remember going to work with my dad and handing him tools and getting under the lorries whilst he was fixing them when they were in the bays. Does anyone remember me Michelle? I was very young about five I think. I have the fondest memories of this place and the people. I remember helping the attendant fill up vehicles with fuel, the people in the office and the drivers. I remember going in the lorries with my dad when he was test driving them. I would love to hear any stories about my dad what ever they are good or bad. I would like to thank everyone who gave me a smile or a sweet at that time thank you for so many happy memories. I have loved looking at the pictures of the trucks they are so much part of my childhood. My dad died in 1987.

eric the judge:
The Bill who was a transport manager a few years ago did he live at Hitchin?..If so he quite often used to give me a lift home when i lived at Haynes. He had a Vauxhall car reg no NTM999H if my memory is still working. As for Jim Hull he really was a waste of a skin at least Jack was honest and didnt hold a grudge. I left in 1975 but still have fond memories of the job.

Hi sorry for the delay, only just seen the question, Yes Bill did live in Hitchin and had the Vauxhall. He dose remember the journy’s also.
Gordon Wil

just to let all of you old hully drivers know arthur hinson is still working for me MB HAULAGE and just had his 76th birthday hope you all remember him

Trying again to up load a picture

Any of you technology minded people know how to put the photo bucket photos of Hulls lorries into normal format and post them on here I would greatly appreciate it.

This is going back a few years… but doe’s anybody remember this company as i cut my teeth on there. First going for the odd trip in my school holidays then as a second mate on the low loaders.First you had reg the driver of the f12 with the cometto trailor.Dam he may have been a small bloke but could he handle that outfit.Then you had Auther. lol you would not forget that man once you had met him lol. not one for the soap and water more the pub and a pint. he was the driver of the very hard worked f89 tug with the draw bar trailor. now he was the only bloke who would drive that outfit.and could he. If you put a five pence peice on the floor he would park that truck bang smack on top of it. would be good to hear if any of the older drivers remember the other drivers on there.The likes of burnie the two micks on the four wheelers. Arnie on the seddon who always stuttered when excited.Then there was jim hull himself. how that man never had an heart attack was anybodys guess. would be good to hear if any of you remember the days and better if you have any pictures
best regards Ian

I worked for Jack Hull from 1970 to 1975 starting on a Dodge 4 wheeler and working my way up to a Foden artic. I remember Reg well i think he lived at Northampton and everybody knew Arthur as you say one hell of a driver. I last saw him a few years ago at the isle of Grain on containers, he still had the moustache.I think I learned more about awkward and abnormal loads there than anywhere .Depending on when you worked there we might know each other

I certainly remember ‘Hullys’ Cockney :wink: Mike T has one or two pictures of a 2800 Daf and I think an F12, I’m sure he’ll post them on here when he see’s the thread :unamused: Mike also used to work for Allen’s of Bedford where Hull’s used to do all oftheir heavy stuff - also now sadly gone :cry:

This is the only picture I have, taken at the east of England show in the late 70’s

I have remembered a few more drivers from the 70s there as Les Gifford who drove an old Foden then had a Volvo his second man was an Irishman called Bernie a really good bloke how he worked with moaning Les i dont know. Another good driver was Snowy Unsworth who i seemed to work with often,remember we went to Germany together and lost each other ,I stayed in a hotel and found him cold and fed up after a night in a day cab Foden at Bremerhaven. Mick Wheeley is another name i remember he had a 6x4 Foden on heavy haulage. Sorry no photos but lots of memorys , ill have a think then post some more

I have remembered a few more drivers from the 70s there as Les Gifford who drove an old Foden then had a Volvo his second man was an Irishman called Bernie a really good bloke how he worked with moaning Les i dont know. Another good driver was Snowy Unsworth who i seemed to work with often,remember we went to Germany together and lost each other ,I stayed in a hotel and found him cold and fed up after a night in a day cab Foden at Bremerhaven. Mick Wheeley is another name i remember he had a 6x4 Foden on heavy haulage. Sorry no photos but lots of memorys , ill have a think then post some more.

Hello Cockney,
Another snippet about Hulls, I met Arthur a couple of months ago in Marshalls concrete at St.Ives while he was working for S & H transport also from Bedford, he was about to be laid off because S&H were packing up and I think Arthur was going to retire, I think he’s past retiring age anyway but he’s the kind of bloke who would go on forever.

The only names I can remember are Snowy and Arthur on the big ones and Alan Shaw (ex-Phillips of Maulden, S.John and Planthaul) and Alan Knight (ex-BRS and B.H.King)
A young fitter (Gerry) once serviced a 2800 DAF before lunch and filled it with oil AGAIN after lunch, it sat ticking over for a while until it had enough and was sick, Jack Hull wasn’t amused!!

The yard in Queens Park is now home to Keyline builders merchants who got it by default, E. Hull was taken over by Charringtons who moved operations to Fredk. Rays yard in Leighton Buzzard, Coalite builders merchants (part of Charringtons) moved into Hulls old yard, Coalite went on to become Keyline who are now owned by Travis Perkins.

There are are still traces of Hulls in the yard but most have been painted over or concreted. I have a few pics, if I can’t post them I know a man who can!
I’m also trying to muster the will to build a model of Hulls Foden S.20 ballast tractor, I already have a 1:50 scale Scheuerle trailer for it, a 2009 project maybe!

All the best for Xmas.

not much to contribute, but alan shaw does pilot car work these days - we use him quite a bit

Going off the E. Hull thread a bit I know but does Alan still have his Citroen ambulance for pilot work, if he hasn’t can you ask him when you see him if he has a pic of it, I have it on the (long) list of models to build.
I worked with him for a while in the 70s, he lent a spare once to get back from France when I sheared a few studs!
cheers,

skandiahamn:
Going off the E. Hull thread a bit I know but does Alan still have his Citroen ambulance for pilot work, if he hasn’t can you ask him when you see him if he has a pic of it, I have it on the (long) list of models to build.
I worked with him for a while in the 70s, he lent a spare once to get back from France when I sheared a few studs!
cheers,

he has a peugeot van now instead, i probably have a photo somewhere of the old ambulance - will try find one, failing that i’ll ask him, don’t hesitate to remind me though :wink:

The last time i saw reg Williams he was running his own tarpaulin business in Northampton.would be good to find out what he is doing these days.i remember Jerry in the garage lol.i can remember when reg was moving the f12 and cometto around in the yard there was a big bang come from the front axle.when the fitter came out and had a look but he could not see anything so said let’s see what happens…big mistake.we got as far as Northampton (as reg had to sneak home for something) about two miles before j16 the front nearside wheel got a bit hot well very hot it caught fire lol. and guess who had to come out and repair it. Yes Jerry he said i new it was a bearing but Jim insisted the truck went up the road. three hours he sat there sanding the old bearing off the stub axle in the freezing cold.we did stand there for a while giving some support before reg had a good idea of off loading Jerry tools off the van and going to the red lion at j16 for a pint and a steak sandwich…we did bring Jerry one back and made him a cup of tea.Can you inmangin a mechanic doing that these days.that was the start of a very long week. with high winds long delays and more breakdowns …lol.

Was Allan the bloke that used to go with reg or was he the bloke in the office. Reg always said the best thing about allan was he had a photographic memory . if he went somewhere he could remember the way without looking at the movement order.He did love the fruit machines as well.I can remember reg saying they got back one Saturday morning and went in the club for a quick pint before going home and before allan left he had bunged most of his wages in the fruit machine.i think it was burnie that went in the club one sat and played the machine i think the jackpot was a hundred quid in those days. well he drop a strawberry then three bars on the winning line so he kicked the machine and yes the bar that was above the strawberry dropped and he walked away one hundred pounds better of.There are so many stories to be told.Like the time we parked up and walked over to this pub for a beer only to find it was a gay pub. which i was not happy about . But reg being reg just laughed and told me to get the drinks in.we sat there me on edge when reg said look at that bloke stroking his puppy… well can you imagine me looking for a bloke with a dog.when i said what puppy oul load reg nearly spat his pint all over the table the place went very quite.after reg explained he was stroking his old man i really wanted to get the hell out of there.But reg said well here is the keys to the lorry if you think you will make it back to the lorry on your own!!! needless to say i stayed and had a few more pints. The one thing that i did learn working with hull’s was how to drink.

I hope this tread can carry as these sort of company’s do not exist today.
Is that a good thing or not you decide…
Those days you learnt on the job and you did learn very quickly.
Like roping and sheeting.
An art which is dieing out.
Is that a good thing.
it tort me how to load a trailer and make the load secure.
Thanks to Bob Rich for showing me the ropes and sheets.
working on the heavy side i did learn a lot more about different loads.
Would be good if anybody out there has some pictures that they can post on here.
Or you can send them to me via email or royal mail so i can get them scanned and posted on here.
If you supply your name and address i will return them strait back to you if you send them via royal mail.

I remember them well Cockney from my days working at W H Allen, especially when they were trying to get around the tight corners in the middle of the works and I used to run outside to watch. I e-mailed Alan Knight a few days ago about the thread, someone said he had worked for BRS then B H King but after BRS he went to Rays of Bedford and not B H King, he knew Snowy and Arthur Inson but most of the others were probably there after he had left. He told me the three low loaders were driven by Eddie Edwards, Bill Smith ( Arthur Inson was his mate ) and Bert Cryer, Alan was a mate for three years on an AEC and the other two low loaders were Fodens. Jack Hull ran the transport and his brother Harry ran the tippers, another brother Walt drove a tipper. Jim Hull worked in the garage under someone called Bert and a sister named Nancy worked in the office. Other general haulage drivers he remembers were Curly Tyler, Ernie Catchpole, Des Hall, Ted Tyszka and Brian Cracknell. Alan worked there from 1960 to 1963. I’m sure we used to go into their yard when I helped my dad deliver milk in Queens Park and I wish I had taken more photos when I finally got a camera but here are a couple that will hopefully bring back some memories.

I remember them well Cockney from my days working at W H Allen, especially when they were trying to get around the tight corners in the middle of the works and I used to run outside to watch. I e-mailed Alan Knight a few days ago about the thread, someone said he had worked for BRS then B H King but after BRS he went to Rays of Bedford and not B H King, he knew Snowy and Arthur Inson but most of the others were probably there after he had left. He told me the three low loaders were driven by Eddie Edwards, Bill Smith ( Arthur Inson was his mate ) and Bert Cryer, Alan was a mate for three years on an AEC and the other two low loaders were Fodens. Jack Hull ran the transport and his brother Harry ran the tippers, another brother Walt drove a tipper. Jim Hull worked in the garage under someone called Bert and a sister named Nancy worked in the office. Other general haulage drivers he remembers were Curly Tyler, Ernie Catchpole, Des Hall, Ted Tyszka and Brian Cracknell. Alan worked there from 1960 to 1963. I’m sure we used to go into their yard when I helped my dad deliver milk in Queens Park and I wish I had taken more photos when I finally got a camera but here are a couple that will hopefully bring back some memories.

When I worked for them Jim was in the office along with Jack and a couple of helpers. Arthur was driving a C reg Foden I think this must have been the S20 jj72 mentions. I was given Snowys Jreg S39 when he was given a steel cabbed L reg S40 in 1972. One unusual job he did with it was pull a specially built trailer on tour round Britain with an Appollo space capsule on it.Jim Hull kept the moon dust that went round with it in the safe and we all had a look at it ,looked like sand to me .As has been said before you certainly learned how to cope with all aspects of haulage there from bulk tipping trailers on sugar and coaldust to wide high and heavy low loader work plus handballing 10000 bricks on and off a 40ft trailer ,imagine doing that now.Oh happy days