E hull transport of bedford

Hi Mike,
Thanks for those pic’s.
I am hoping to get some pictures back of the ex if she has not binned them.
yes they do bring back memories.
I am not sure if snowy or Malcolm was drivin the Daf at the time .
I do remember the Volvo thou lol.
That was the truck i used to go in the most when i worked on there with reg.
I think i was working on there when that picture was taken.

Cockney ( lan) asked me to put this on his thread and asked if anyone had more photos please.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Cheers Marc

arthur is still working pulling trailers out of purfleet &tilburyfor M B HAULAGE at the ripe age of 73 hope i,am as fit as him when i get to that age

i see this is a fairly old post and im not sure if you guys still come on here but my dad used to work for hulls but unfortunatley he has now passed away , ive been looking for years for any info or pictures of the lorries etc as i have no memories like pictures etc of him , so if you can help i would be so greatfull.

Barry.

Especially for barryg and cockney; I’ve found a few photos. Not entirely sure where I got them from, or who took them. I think Peter Davies did 1 or 2. Enjoy!

Can anyone work out who’s in the cabs?

At W H Allens yard

truckerash i could kiss you , (only joking) i cannot believe in all the years ive been looking for pictures of my dads old firm that you guys on here have done it in a day , i cannot thank you enough and you are realy filling in the gaps of my dads life , maybee ill be lucky one day to actually get a picture of his lorry , all i know is that it was a flatbed , so fingers crossed you guys may find me somemore, may thanks once again all.

Barry

Hi Ash… just having a quick look at the pictures you put on here .Thanks a lot mate i will get in touch with bob rich to see if i can get some more … will write some more on here when i get back from work… barry who was your dad mate ■■ Ian … once again mate thanks alot Ash

hi mate , my dads name ws norman gilbert , he used to drive the flatbeds . i believe one was a leyland and im not sure if he had a foden at one point too , he used to do trips to germany and also holland too i think.

Barry

Hello All,
As promised (a couple of years ago) a few E. Hull pics to keep you going, some are mine, some are from other sources, I’ve tried to put credits where poss…

From an Allens magazine, it’s taken in Bedford High Street and could be the festival of Britain in the 50s.

I think this might well be one of Arthur Ingrams, an S Type Bedford come to grief, unknown location…

This one is from Ivor Walton, taken in front of Jordans Mill in Bedford…

One from Peter Davies,

This is from a Bedfordshire Magazine, taken at Cople gravel pits near Bedford, early days of landfill!

Hulls yard in Ford End Rd. Bedford…

I remember taking this one…but can’t remember where it is, although it is after the move to Fredk. Rays yard in Leighton Buzzard…

I found this ex-E.Hull 100 tonner resting in a yard I was delivering to, I asked if I could return with a camera and went back that weekend, it fired up and moved okay, but had no brakes, it has since been sold and now lives somewhere near Leic.

This is something close to how it would have looked in service with Hulls…

This is a 1/50 scale 2800 I did a few years ago…still waiting to be finished, it possibly should be in the models thread…

All the best, Nick

Nick all i can say is many thanks for the pictures , not only have you posted some great pictures BUT you have also got a picture of what i am 99.9% sure is the lorry my dad used to drive , as soon as i saw that flatbed leyland and the registration i just knew it was his , you are a star , thankyou very much.

Barry

Hi… I would just like to say thank you to all that has posted pictures on this thread… brings back some very found memories… I have a picture of me standing in front of the Mercedes with what looks like coils under the sheets… when i was about thirteen lol …the picture of the Foden that is part in front of the cometo trl used to be driven by a bloke called pete… who used top take his dog with him… story goes he crashed into a wall at woburn and was knocked out… but his dog brought him round by licking his face !!!.There are some great pictures of the past posted…Once again thanks to every one who has posted on here …

Hi Barry did your Dad come from out Sandy way and have a beard if so i worked with him often . The 4 Wheel Leyland he drove he fitted out with a bunk and he always looked after it . I recall he used to do Scotland regularly from W H Allens with about 15 drops a job i did till i was given an artic. I last saw him in 1987 at Petes cafe at Hatfield [now a hotel] and i believe he had his own lorry on for Marshalls of Sandy. He was a lovely bloke to work with and i am very sorry to hear he has passed away

H eric the judge , yes he did have a beard and i now recall the bed he made now you mention it , yes we used to live in sandy when he worked for marshalls , unfortunatly that was the last company he worked for before we lost him , but alot of good memories , hopefully i may speak to others who knew him and maybe even meet up for a beer and a natter , but at the moment this forum is being a great tonic in filling in the gaps.

Just an update guys but i have tracked down the hull family and i am going to see them on the 28th of this month to have a chat , i will be taking the pictures i have already to show them and hopefully have some from them to share with you guys , so fingers crossed we may have some more great storys and pics to share.

barrryg:
Just an update guys but i have tracked down the hull family and i am going to see them on the 28th of this month to have a chat , i will be taking the pictures i have already to show them and hopefully have some from them to share with you guys , so fingers crossed we may have some more great storys and pics to share.

A friend of mine had a chat with Jacks brother who still lives in Queens Park, he reckons he’s got no photos at all, it’s hard to believe when there are so many turning up all the time. It’s often the way though when you are involved in something, the last thing on your mind is taking pictures…unless of course you’re an anorak like what we are :unamused:

Good luck, hope you have a fruitfull trip!

That family member you tracked down would not have been Jim Hull would it … because if it was i am not surprise he said he said he has no pictures…He was a funny bloke to work for… one min he would talk to you then go off into one lol . How many times did he lock himself in his office so some driver could not get to him… or get the girl in the office to calm a driver down …What was her name . there was a lot of good blokes on there… i remember listen to two of the skip drivers trying to do a deal… or swap… stuff they had found in the skips in the week… in the end they ended up swapping a wheel barrow some garden bits for a blow up doll and some mags … or the day Steve the young fitter started Bob Rich’s f88 up after fitting a recon engine only to find he had not filled the oil up !!! jim was not happy that day … lucky for them billows said it was the oil pump that had failed and swapped the engine lol … the stunts they pulled and the things we learnt… like stopping out side the mot place and rapping tape around the fifth wheel pin to take up the slack lol

Hi Just come across this site, and have a few Hull pics that may be of interest to you Ian. My brother Bill Wilson worked for them a long time back so they are from old negs of mine.
Hope they are ok, I do have a couple more of the smaller Fodens if you would like to see?

Regards Gordon W

Gordon wil:
Hi Just come across this site, and have a few Hull pics that may be of interest to you Ian. My brother Bill Wilson worked for them a long time back so they are from old negs of mine.
Hope they are ok, I do have a couple more of the smaller Fodens if you would like to see?
Regards Gordon W

Hello Gordon,

Great photos, any old photos of Hulls or any other firms are always worth posting, keep 'em coming, especially if you’ve got more from the Beds. area.

Cheers,
Nick

Hi Nick these are the rest of my Hull pics. Most other pics are much more modern trucks.
G W.

Gordon wil:
Hi Nick these are the rest of my Hull pics. Most other pics are much more modern trucks.
G W.

Great stuff Gordon… old photos still keep turning up, there must be hundreds still out there, thanks for posting these.

Nick