E hull transport of bedford

skandiahamn:

Gordon wil:
Hi Nick these are the rest of my Hull pics. Most other pics are much more modern trucks.
G W.

Great stuff Gordon… old photos still keep turning up, there must be hundreds still out there, thanks for posting these.

Nick

Here Here ! I can only reiterate Nick’s comments. Keep 'um coming Gordon. Always lovely to see photos of old company trucks from our local area.

Have these old Lovely Scamell in Letchworth back in the 80’s I think.

Have these from Biggleswade but are they to modern to be here? I have a good few of them?
I await your comments before posting the rest!

hi Gorden… thank you very much for adding those pictures…yes they do bring back so good memory’s…funny seeing the old commetto trl with only two axles …and the old f89…they where real work horses in there day…The one of the Foden loading the crawler …that looks like a young Snowy standing on the trl watching the loading …once again thank you for adding those pictures… i hope to get hold of some more very soon …

Hi Ian, thanks for comments, did you work for Hull your self?
Gordon

Yes Gorden… even before i left School … I used to go with Bob Rich when i was on school holidays… Then when the school made a mistake and let me leave six months early …i started going with Reg Williams and Aruther Inson …Not sure it is the right speelling lol… used to love getting away in those trucks… Bob rich taught me how to rope and sheet… and much more…First i think he had a foden… then went on to that merc …in the pictures with the Steel reels on… then onto the F88 they had then he had the Daf 2800… loads of fond memory’s

Yes I too went as second man a couple of times. Do you remember my brother William (Bill) he was the Transport Manager for a good while. He saw your post and wondered if you was there the same time?
Will it be better repling to Email. flashman43873263@aol.com
Regards Gordon

Hi Gorden… my emails are playing up at the min … if i send a message is sends them about ten times lol … No when i was there it was Jim Hull and Allen i think his name was … short bloke . have sent Bob rich a message to see if he has any more pictures…I had some great times on there …some really great blokes

Hi all i have just spoken to Bob Rich. and he has a few pictures of his old trucks on Hulls …so hopefully next weekend we will meet up and i will try and put them up on here

Gordon wil:
Have these old Lovely Scamell in Letchworth back in the 80’s I think.

behind that bedford breakdown is a P.Scott tk recall they had a yard in caledonian road islington and I had mate work there no hgv no questions asked in the early 70s anyone recall them? fred m

Right i am going to try and up load a picture …This was me at the age of about fourteen …when i used to go with Bob Rich in the school holidays … only one bunk so he used to put his case with some blanket across the seats to make a bed lol

[attachment=0]Back end of the Commetto trailor 001.jpg[/attachment Back end of the Commetto trl…funny it was plated at 100ton’s… over the back wheels… but was only meant to carry forty tonnes in the well lol… used to carry a little bit more

Sorry about the size … story of my life will see if i can get it blown up

if i remember right we did suffer with a bit of wheel spin on that job lol

Gordon wil:
Have these from Biggleswade but are they to modern to be here? I have a good few of them?
I await your comments before posting the rest!

Hi Gordon; These are great but too modern for this forum;
Go to the TRANSPORT PHOTO FORUM; They will be best on there mate; :wink:
index.php

Thank you, will do.Just working around the site. Have some good info here, finding somethying new all the time.
Gordon

The S39 Foden XEG449J was driven from new by a Polish chap named Alf and the driver guiding the crane onto the low loader is almost certainly Snowy Unsworth . He had another S39 when Alf got his, 4 of them came at the same time . He then had the S40 in the picture then the S80 he is loading the crane on. Being the blue eyed boy he seemed to have a new lorry every year. He was driving Arthurs C reg Foden in Croydon and ran out of diesel in one tank. His mate on this job was Pete Oliver who fell under the wheels while trying to turn on the other tank on the move . Pete sadly died as a result of his injuries.

I did hear that Snowy was involved in a few fatal accidents… I did hear he was heading up the motorway early one morning when a transit mini bus that was over tacking him released at the last min that is was passing it’s junction … when it suddenly cut across the front of snowy to get off the motorway … but the van cut in to soon and snowy clipped the back end…putting it on it’s side sliding it down the motorway in front of him… I was said that three people in the van lost there life in that accident…as i said this is only what i was told when working on Hull’s… I was told by reg that when snowy used to go into town . if the mother of Pete saw him she would shout and scream at him that he was a killer …Spent some time with snowy …was a great bloke took some getting used to lol… funny he would always make sure he had a couple of bars of chocolate for when he was parked up…

I used to knock about with Petes brother Mick and knew his Mum and Dad quite well. She really was understandably very upset about the accident and i can imagine her shouting at Snowy .He was a good driver though and i learned a hell of a lot from him. Cant remember hearing about the minibus accident but my memory is not what it was…Still driving for a living after all this time and remember fondly the good old days at Jack Hulls.

My dad used to work for Hullies from the late fifties to the early seventies on and off…He has been mentioned on here,Ted Tyszka.
Any photos for the four wheelers or the general haulage side from that era would be greatly appriciated.
He tended to avoid the heavy stuff if he could as he didnt want the nights out…things were alot different in those days as opposed to now.
And does anyone remember ‘Sailor’ from that era too? He hasnt had a mention yet.