Old Hull Haulage companys

Glenn R:
This has probably been mentioned and if so apologies…Anyone named SEG or LC&S transport? If I remember correctly, LC&S were based somewhere off Beverley Road, maybe Temple Street? They only had a couple of trucks perhaps a Marathon or a Crusader and a rigid of some sort?

Stuart Esplen and Greenhough have had a mention, but LC&S, maybe not. I do remember a Marathon I think, did they do a night trunk out of Warburtons in Gilberdyke?

Temple Street only rings a bell with me for Temple Street Motors who broke & scrapped motorcycles and scooters :stuck_out_tongue:

I think LC&S had either grey or light blue trucks…maybe not Temple St (But you have brought good memories about the motorbike guy) I think they were somewhere downt he side of the school near Bev Rd baths

Dos anyone know what became of Ray Fenton? He used to be with us at Chapman Shields, then he went on his own with a Leyland 6 wheeler. I think he lived somewhere around Alexandra Rd

Glenn R:
I think LC&S had either grey or light blue trucks…maybe not Temple St (But you have brought good memories about the motorbike guy) I think they were somewhere downt he side of the school near Bev Rd baths

Temple Street motors were quite close to Peters of Hull (Kawasaki) and Hein Gericke. iirc there is a cracking fish shop open all hours, and a new public convenience. When I say new. I mean in the last 25 years

It seems like the same LC&S company we are on about. I seem to think Eric Holland may have driven for them for a while, and there was a guy who lived in Howden as well. In fact I think the company may have moved to Howden according to the 192 phone book

Wheel Nut:

Lawrence Dunbar:
Pocklington ? I know this is off track at bit from Hull Hauliers, There was a cafe near there, would I be right in saying it was the Fourways ■■> I used to dine there sometimes in the 60/70s, Regards Larry.

Shiptonthorpe roundabout probably. Now a Little Chef and a BP Garage. If it was the one you were thinking of, it was a massive breakfast :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi Larry the cafe at Pocklinton main road was sky ways

see earlier mail BRY :laughing:

brylboy:
Hi Larry the cafe at Pocklinton main road was sky ways

see earlier mail BRY :laughing:

brylboy:
Skyways Cafe was owned and run by a lovely lady named Sally Who got the cafe off the ground and then bought a cafe in Brid Sky ways never did any good after she left I am pleased to have known her one terrific lady Must add i am not a Hull Driver but my hgv career srted in Hull 1961 and ended as a HUll driver2001 Ex Stan Jewitt A real boss one of the best

Canteen cowboy AKA the Grave digger 10 4

Here You are buddy. 10-4

Wow that was a blast from the past, some of it before my time but I remember a lot of them!

I’m from Hessle and loved trucks as a lad. I used to go truck spotting on Boothferry Rd Hessle, this was before the Clive Sullivan Way was built (A63) and all traffic for Hull had to use that route. Used to go to Wiltshire Road Ind Est to watch Tutty’s trucks working out of Metal Box back in the late 70’s. Ah yes good days.

I used to be a vinyl sign writer back in the early 90’s and have sign written a lot of the trucks in Hull, Nigel Rice (Beverley), Arion, Herbert Fletcher, DJ Broady to name a few. I also drove for quite a few too:

Albert Baxter (ran by his son Alan, but Albert used to help out until his wife died, that finished him off I think)
Herbert Fletcher (Colin Fletcher & his son Graham)
Cranswick Country Foods (next door to Herbert Fletchers)
Trans European Port Services (TEPS) (Cardboard Box Dave in traffic)
Blended Foods (Rawsons Pigs)
E Robson & Son (Crowley St, Hedon Rd)

Plenty of stories & some hairy experiences, think hanging meat & timber transport!

Any of you Hulls Drivers remember this firm They a depot in Oxford Street opposite Drapers Shell Filling Station,

i recall on or about 1962/3 loading hard board out of the Shorts Newcastle depot for trans to Phoenix Timber co at Pocklington with a new S type Bedford 330 a scammel coupling trailor load as i was told 10 tons they lied i struggled my Goolies off or i shold say the little bedford did and there i must have taken5 yearsoff the life of thatlittle Bedford …But not to be outdone my first Ne truck as an owner driver you gyessed it a TK Bedford With a difference

The origional Grehound with a Leyland 400 power plus 5 wheel coupling the lot and whoever named it wasnt kidding
PS the s type i loaded out of Ncastle 10 ton i should cocoa 16 tons
BARSTEWARDS on 24foot single axle 825by twenty tyres it taught me a big lesson in trucking trust only yr self BBYE BYE

Would this be the depot where you loaded at St Peters, ?, Regards Larry.

Archie Paice:

Stanfield:
Another of Readers

Hullo “Stanfield”,
What a really great picture. Do you know who the owner was ?, because that looks like an old friend of mine lazing in a deck chair at the back, his name was Eric Wheelright, from Ripponden, Halifax .
Cheers, Archie.

The guy who owns the trucks is Tony Wilson from Woodmansey nr Beverley!!!
He use to have his own garage down sidebof Myton bridge in Hull

Is this Leyland classic one of Readers original motors,? as its not a Hull reg, Its a London one, Regards Larry.

Hi Larry no my friend the buildings you show are modern shrds compared with what i loadefrom in the very early 60s but ta for the reply BRY Happy new year to you

Hi all . I have just joined, I have worked in the haulage industry since 1966 as a HGV fitter in the Hull area. first at Ron Flectcher Transport 1966 - 68 Dawn Haulage 1968 - 70 Debline Transport 1970 -71 MAT Transport 1971 -79 John Tutty transport 1980 - 90 and from1990 - 2000 Herbert Fletcher Transport, I left the industry in 2000 but I still remember most of the haulage company’s.how about Ivor Peterson and Albert Acy,both ex Tutty drivers.

Hi MIke look out for Les Hunter was top truck fitter probably stuck outside the pearly gates waiting for permition to enter OK You OLD WRINKLIES WHO OF YOU NEW LES HUNTER

What company’s did Les Hunter work for.

Just had a quick word with my dad, John :grimacing: Green and he said the reg of his F88 was BWF 871K. I mentioned about Dusty Miller and he remembered that Dusty took the 88 and avoided going back to the yard for about 5 weeks as the 86 he drove didn’t have a bed and the 88 did. I remember going out in that and having to sit on the engine cover with my brother and getting a bit warm. There were little black knobbly bits on it and I used to try to pick them off lol. I also remember someone getting into dad’s cab in the yard to move it and I was terrified. Never trusted anyone but my dad. For those who may remember him he also worked for United Carriers, Hewson’s, MAT and Brian Yeardley before going for an easy life doing nights at Suttons/Mckelvie/Beck & Politzer/TDG and any other interested at the time parties at ICI. He retired nearly 2 years ago. Brian I don’t know if you remember me but we met a few times. The first time was in Mayphil car park. Sounds wrong doesn’t it!!! You were working for Rix and had reversed up to the trees behind the houses. I was with my ex-husband who you knew, Robin Booth. Think he worked for Lewis Chantry at the time. He’s had quite a few jobs so can’t remember, may have been Harbro, Isotank, ITS, Rob Hatfield. Is there enough space here to mention em all? He’s a fat gobby bloke from Hull and still aint gone back there! Anyway we came to Asselby one day for some reason and we stopped to talk to you cos you were loitering in your garden. Many years ago lol. And in town. You drivers/ex drivers just love your retail therapy on a weekend don’t you? I asked dad if he remembers you and he’s not sure. Also I remember Rex Krebs working at Hewson’s. I know his son and daughter. Also Taffy Pennington’s son Dean is a shunter for -dare I mention them :bulb: -Stobart. Well the pay isn’t bad even if the attitude there is. My husband is one of the trampers recently made redundant. Best thing that could happen. He got a better job!

Wheel Nut:

brylboy:
I first met Alan Malc on my way backfrom the Smoke running empty i think about 1962 whils i was employed by Len Dunlin
Alan was broken down on the A 1 near or just north of Huntingdon… He was half loaded cant recall what with and i cant recall his truck but it belonged to John KAY from Hull… so being the kind hearted fellow that i am we found a ramp and loaded Alans Motor on to the back of mine chained it on and delivered it to Kays Yard the following morning
i thought i had doe my good deed and was expecting a thank you in the shape of at least a couple o quid
all i got was thank you :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:
One lives and learns doesent one

Both Bill and Alan worked for JB Kay and then started up with one motor from his mums house at Newland near Eastrington. I used to spend all my spare time up at the new yard when they had got quite succesful. Alan went in the office on KG Dock. Bill ran the yard and Barry drove for them. There is another brother called Brian but he didn’t get involved. Bill married one of the Bayrams from North Newbald and the transport mafia was born :laughing:

We were supposed to be talking all about this at your house with Rose bringing me cups of tea. I just haven’t got my arse into gear yet. Sorry. :blush:

It is quite sad but I can still remember some of the registration numbers and drivers.

OBT 58G - F86
TWF 987H - F86 Terry Kitching
YWF 847K - 240 F88 Barry Malc
FWF 606L - 290 F88 Stuart Appleton
HBT 424L - DAF 2600 Mick Pinder
BWF ***K - F88
Alf Stein F88
Bud Young F86
Ernie ex Aden F86
John Green F88
Frank Harper F86
Keith Watson - Watto
Alan Carter
Graham Mann Leyland Super Comet

Another Firm F,Short & sons, Ltd, Hull depot Oxford St, Off Wincomblee, opposite Drapers Shell Filling Station & Scrap Yard.Franky Orr was the yard forman, the manager was a John Conboy, Franky Orr was a great lad , I dont know if he is still about ? but if he is I would certainley like to meet up with him, for old times sake, he used to smoke Park Drive Ciggies, Regards Larry.

Wheel Nut:

brylboy:
I first met Alan Malc on my way backfrom the Smoke running empty i think about 1962 whils i was employed by Len Dunlin
Alan was broken down on the A 1 near or just north of Huntingdon… He was half loaded cant recall what with and i cant recall his truck but it belonged to John KAY from Hull… so being the kind hearted fellow that i am we found a ramp and loaded Alans Motor on to the back of mine chained it on and delivered it to Kays Yard the following morning
i thought i had doe my good deed and was expecting a thank you in the shape of at least a couple o quid
all i got was thank you :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:
One lives and learns doesent one

Both Bill and Alan worked for JB Kay and then started up with one motor from his mums house at Newland near Eastrington. I used to spend all my spare time up at the new yard when they had got quite succesful. Alan went in the office on KG Dock. Bill ran the yard and Barry drove for them. There is another brother called Brian but he didn’t get involved. Bill married one of the Bayrams from North Newbald and the transport mafia was born :laughing:

We were supposed to be talking all about this at your house with Rose bringing me cups of tea. I just haven’t got my arse into gear yet. Sorry. :blush:

It is quite sad but I can still remember most of the registration numbers and drivers.

OBT 58G - F86 Alan ****
TWF 987H - F86 Terry Kitching
YWF 847K - 240 F88 Barry Malcolmson
FWF 606L - 290 F88 Stuart Appleton
HBT 424L - DAF 2600 Mick Pinder
BWF 871K - F88 John Green
Alf Stein F88
Bud Young F86
Ernie Hodgson ex forces, Aden F86
Frank Harper F86
Keith Watson - Watto
Alan Carter - Went on to work for himself with several lorries
Graham Mann Leyland Super Comet
Dodge K Series
Leyland Mastiff that was a yard shunter, it was newer than the Volvos that were on the road
There was also a 4 wheeler DAF rigid with container pins

I have edited the list as I remembered a couple more details. Funnily enough I have just been talking to Barrys daughter on facebook about the photo of her dads lorry :wink: I may get him on here yet.