Old Firms in Oxford Area

Muckaway:

Bewick:

Muckaway:
Hi Toshboy, yes I know exactly who you mean: I’m amazed that a weight limit hasn’t been put in Wantage. I know someone who was made redundant from there; Was there a link to the fact he’d started to voice concerns about driving styles shall we say?
It wont be long before they kill someone…

Thought you’d be out "on the beer " somewhere to-night Nathan,you know the craic,spreading tarmac and tipping aggregate and needing a shovel to dig yourself out of the bar at closing time ( oh! forgot there is no closing time now is there!!) so you’ll need a Face Shovel in that case!! Cheers Dennis.

Went out to the Evenlode pub at Eynsham for a meal with Sarah earlier, Callum paying grandma and grandad a visit…witresses there in halloween garb, a generously boobed young lady dressed in rocky horror style…needless to say I was tilting the table without using my hands… :laughing:

What did Harold Steptoe call his old Fella■■? Cheers Dennis.

I have a delivery in Newbury st Wantage on a Thursday and to park is a pain to say the least,I stop in the bus stop as i’m told they only have buses on Wednesdays. :slight_smile:

Down memory lane with service and delivery vans in and around Oxford.
oiltreader

Oxford Mail Vans.jpg

Morris Garages2.jpg

Morris Garages Breakdown.jpg

Some more.
oiltreader

Syresham1.jpg

Austin van.jpg

Austin Van Hoover.jpg

Austin van1.jpg

Castrol Van.jpg

Going back a bit.
oiltreader

Carved Pine  Dorchester on Thames.jpg

Shergolds Headington.jpg

Mallet van.jpg

Mays van.jpg

Going back even farther.
oiltreader

Bury Traction engine.jpg

Henry Weston Butchers van.jpg

Fred Skuse Baker Clanfield.jpg

Brooks Dairy.jpg

Just posted this on the Brs topic ,Cowley based Commer two stroke , and didnt she growl :laughing:

Driver was Fred Holiday from Dorchester on Thames , Driver to the side is Ivor parry from Littlemore , They moved this from the road from that building, what Kardoss use for storing there old trucks to across the road where it was shipped by canal barge to Abbey road oxford .

This truck was Ivors last truck on its maiden voyage to Fleetwood docks , It has the wrong number plate on , woops by me did not read the paperwork properly , and it took days to notice .Ivor was very keen for keeping his truck clean and hated any one getting in his truck , except me :blush: , the deal was if I used it to take trailers for mot at Newbury I must wash it .
I have another shot of it which I wll post on his last trip to Northern island on his last day , He use to trunk the trailers up to Fleetwood every day without a night out from Cowley 733 before the M40 which most of you knew they would be a hard job in your hours , wink wink , he retired with 10 points on his licence :open_mouth: ,Im glad I did not get the job , Ivor made sure of that and I still have my licence .It was a 1730 with a 300 Perkins engine , specked By Ivor as it was thought a 265 was to small for the hard slog up to fleetwood and back .

Re the pic of the bridge getting a ride, is that Kardos’ yard along the Freeland Road, Eynsham? If so it was Freeland Engineerings’ yard back then…they built bridges, fairground rides etc…

J. Harding and Son tridecks, Hardings transporter work was all exports, mainly London Docks.
oiltreader

Harding trideck2.jpg

Harding trideck.jpg

Harding Trideck with MGs.jpg

Hardings again, CKD crates heading for the Docks. I used to wonder how the hell do they stay on, a bit more roping/strapping would be required today.
oiltreader

Harding CKD.jpg

Going back a bit but a nice new trailer for Dines.
oiltreader

Dines2.jpg

Dines.jpg

JAKEY:
This truck was Ivors last truck on its maiden voyage to Fleetwood docks , It has the wrong number plate on , woops by me did not read the paperwork properly , and it took days to notice .Ivor was very keen for keeping his truck clean and hated any one getting in his truck , except me :blush: , the deal was if I used it to take trailers for mot at Newbury I must wash it .
I have another shot of it which I wll post on his last trip to Northern island on his last day , He use to trunk the trailers up to Fleetwood every day without a night out from Cowley 733 before the M40 which most of you knew they would be a hard job in your hours , wink wink , he retired with 10 points on his licence :open_mouth: ,Im glad I did not get the job , Ivor made sure of that and I still have my licence .It was a 1730 with a 300 Perkins engine , specked By Ivor as it was thought a 265 was to small for the hard slog up to fleetwood and back .

Easy life Jakey, wink wink, on Dines we were doing Cowley to Workington and back in a day, with those old Big J’s, ok, so we did wear six guns and a ten gallon hat.

oiltreader:
J. Harding and Son tridecks, Hardings transporter work was all exports, mainly London Docks.
oiltreader

Use to see these down at Harwich as well, although they had to go the long way round to avoid the trees. great pics got anymore.

Racing MGAs.
Oiltreader

MG Racing Transporter.jpg

here’s an newer race transporter

A40 near Witney.
oiltreader

A40 near Witney.png

I have posted this pic on the Car Transporter thread, bcause that is what it is. I can remember seeing this motor way back in the 60s , dunno if there was more than one. I guess the load was not for public view, latest models “hidden” on their way for press review?, any other ideas. Tractor unit looks like a BMC FJ, maybe BRS.
oiltreader

Car Transporter in Adderbury.jpg

I’ve answered on the car transport thread, used to carry car bodies, they would back on to a special dock, press a button and out they popped.