Old Firms in Oxford Area

Some Oxon oldies
oiltreader

Nesbitts Banbury.jpg

K-J-Millard-Ltd-1338338-1.jpg

Early Wallington truck.jpg

Deddington and an Austin Morris Leyland.
oiltreader

Deddington.jpg

oiltreader:
Hardings again, CKD crates heading for the Docks. I used to wonder how the hell do they stay on, a bit more roping/strapping would be required today.
oiltreader

They certainly would be straight off in an emergency stop, those 40’ single axle trailers were a ■■■■■■■ for cut in as well.

Posted these on the Car Transporter thread, so being an Oxfordshire firm they go on here as well.
oiltreader

Carfax2.jpg

Carfax at Hartwells.jpg

Carfax.jpg

Carfax car delivery.jpg

oiltreader:
I have posted this pic on the Car Transporter thread, bcause that is what it is. I can remember seeing this motor way back in the 60s , dunno if there was more than one. I guess the load was not for public view, latest models “hidden” on their way for press review?, any other ideas. Tractor unit looks like a BMC FJ, maybe BRS.
oiltreader

Hi Eddie,
Not sure what body-shells they would have been carrying back in the 60s? But in the early 80s we had about 10 of them on Leyland Transport, they were then carrying SD1/Rover body-shells made at Cowley, we used to run them up to Solihull every day/night. Clever system of racking inside that used to load/unload itself at the push of a button, could be adapted to carry. whichever body you wanted really! Ugly graet things but they did the job!
Regards Chris

I showed my Father in Law the picture of the bridge on the BRS Leyland; it was built by Freeland Engineering (he guessed late '70s?) and described the operation of placing it…On the subject of my F.I.L Jakey; he’s just finished restoring Mr Crocketts Foden that fell over :laughing:

Scammell negotiating the village of Godstow with beam or beams for the original Wolvercote Southern/Western ByPass bridge, which of course has recently been rebuilt.
oiltreader

Scammel Wolvercote.jpg

Another large load in Chipping Norton. Second photo shows pusher wagon
oiltreader

Chippy Wynns.jpg

Chippy large load.jpg

Clayton tanker, I remember them, not sure where they were based.
oiltreader

Thomas Clayton tanker.jpg

Who owns the tipper working in Evans Lane.
oiltreader

Wheatley removal van.
oiltreader

Wheatley Removal van.gif

oiltreader:
Who owns the tipper working in Evans Lane.
oiltreader

Isn’t that TUCKWELLS logo on the cab door?

Pete.

Hi windrush, could be.
oiltreader

Tuckwell.gif

adr:

oiltreader:
I have posted this pic on the Car Transporter thread, bcause that is what it is. I can remember seeing this motor way back in the 60s , dunno if there was more than one. I guess the load was not for public view, latest models “hidden” on their way for press review?, any other ideas. Tractor unit looks like a BMC FJ, maybe BRS.
oiltreader

Hi Eddie,
Not sure what body-shells they would have been carrying back in the 60s? But in the early 80s we had about 10 of them on Leyland Transport, they were then carrying SD1/Rover body-shells made at Cowley, we used to run them up to Solihull every day/night. Clever system of racking inside that used to load/unload itself at the push of a button, could be adapted to carry. whichever body you wanted really! Ugly graet things but they did the job!
Regards Chris

ADR… in the 60’s/70’ the use to carry Triumphs, 1300’s and the like. Harpers of Liverpool would run bodies in to speak they had yellow FJ’s I think

Hi OIL READER , the picture of Home to homes old leyland freighter , that vehicle was owned by Ken trinder Cowley Carriers of Wheatley who sold out a few years ago to a London firm CADOGEN AND TATE, they have now sold the Wheatley depot to AUSSI MAN AND A VAN .That truck was a 13 t ( bloody big body) so I bet it was over weight most of the time when loaded .

JAKEY:
Hi OIL READER , the picture of Home to homes old leyland freighter , that vehicle was owned by Ken trinder Cowley Carriers of Wheatley who sold out a few years ago to a London firm CADOGEN AND TATE, they have now sold the Wheatley depot to AUSSI MAN AND A VAN .That truck was a 13 t ( bloody big body) so I bet it was over weight most of the time when loaded .

I did wonder why the yard was empty everytime I go to AW Mobbs depot…

JAKEY:

Hi Jakey, Ken Trinder of Cowley Carriers that rings a bell, went on a beano to the Daf factory in Holland many moons ago with him, at the time he was living in Waddesdon and was related to the Trinder of Metal Salvage fame
Dont know if he is still around though?
Routeman

oiltreader:
Hi windrush, could be.
oiltreader

Tuckwell.gif

Hi, can I ■■■■ in with a query, only the wagon in this picture is the type that I drove on my stint for “Tuckies.” Usually a flat, but I did do a bit on these tippers as well and before that I was over the road, driving a similar flat for a building company. If I remember correctly, at that time, there was no HGV licence, but when you reached 21 you could drive a lorry. Now, was there anything on weights etc. that would make it possible to drive these vehicles under 21 years of age? Basically, my question is would it have been legal to drive these motors under the age of 21 :confused:

I think you had to be 21 or over to drive anything over three ton unladen, I may be wrong I often am.

BigG-Unit:

oiltreader:
Hi windrush, could be.
oiltreader

Hi, can I ■■■■ in with a query, only the wagon in this picture is the type that I drove on my stint for “Tuckies.” Usually a flat, but I did do a bit on these tippers as well and before that I was over the road, driving a similar flat for a building company. If I remember correctly, at that time, there was no HGV licence, but when you reached 21 you could drive a lorry. Now, was there anything on weights etc. that would make it possible to drive these vehicles under 21 years of age? Basically, my question is would it have been legal to drive these motors under the age of 21 :confused:

Hi big-G-Unit
Im with Altitude on this one - On Ameys i remember that you had to be 21 to drive a 20mph restricted vehicle ( over 3 ton u/l ) not a licence requirement only age --------toshboy