Old Firms in Oxford Area

JAKEY:
I have seen your truck M G B , how long have you been there ? , do recall Dave Harris ? , like chris says in the early days there lorrys were allways taken home , One Cruiser was parked up by the Brs oxford depot , and one at Abingdon . Who drove they Roadtrain that Oil reader has posted .

Hi Steve,
Dave Harris, I worked with him on Air Products, always walked lop-sided did Dave, the weight of his wallet always pulled him to 1 side :laughing: . He had a bad accident on Timbmet didnā€™t he, un-doing the straps & a couple of them broke & the load fell on him, Ā£Ā£Ā£Ā£Ā£Ā£Ā£Ā£s, good luck to him though cos I certainly wouldnā€™t havre liked it!
Regards Chris

M G B:
Yeah they do still run a fleet of there own I think there is 23 at Standford in the Vale,6 based in Andover and some in Glasgow. Hereā€™s a pic of the Truck I drove for them

Hi MJB . Unfortunately i still remember when timbmet had a small yard at Chawley works-they never had any of their own transport those days-- and often had to load to Glasgow (a 2 day trip) more so in the winter- and when loaded always had to go via their office in a private house on the Banbury road Oxford to pick up the delivery notes.the old chap there (Ben) would always give a tip (sixpence) ! i hope they were more generous when you were there !!!

toshboy:

M G B:
Yeah they do still run a fleet of there own I think there is 23 at Standford in the Vale,6 based in Andover and some in Glasgow. Hereā€™s a pic of the Truck I drove for them

Hi MJB . Unfortunately i still remember when timbmet had a small yard at Chawley works-they never had any of their own transport those days-- and often had to load to Glasgow (a 2 day trip) more so in the winter- and when loaded always had to go via their office in a private house on the Banbury road Oxford to pick up the delivery notes.the old chap there (Ben) would always give a tip (sixpence) ! i hope they were more generous when you were there !!!

Hi toshboy, Bit off topic I know, but your post just brought back a childhood memory. I think, probably just after the war, my big brother would take a few of us from Donnington estate, over the river footbridge, (no road bridge then) on our ā€˜bitsaā€™ bikes, across the Abingdon road and then what seemed like a hundred miles, to go ā€˜hill slidingā€™ on what he called Chiswell hills! This involved setting the bike at about 45 degrees, as it was too steep to go straight down, then charging off down the hill at breakneck speeds (no breaks fitted as not deemed necessary!) and hoping to hang on 'til you reached the bottom! :laughing: The downside of this was having to push your bike all the way back up to the top to have another go, often being buzzed by someone flying down totally out of control! Anyway, at some point on the trip we would pass an old disused brickworks which we would have a look around in search of adventure! There was a large shed / barn like building that we could squeeze into somehow and inside was an old steam lorry parked which always fascinated me. I always remembered this as being Chorley Brickworks but never having seen it written down, Iā€™m wondering if this maybe was the same place you mentioned in your post. We only did this for a couple of summers as things were forever changing when you were young, or maybe we thought it just too far to go! :astonished: but I often wondered over the years what happened to that old wagon and even, exactly where it was! :confused:

Hi BigG-Unit.
How some things get remembered from childhood as large as life ,so clear as if yesterday ! Yes i would say that you visited chawley works -a long way from donnington when your young . The best i can do is to suggest a search --google Oxford CC history search ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  bricks and theres a few shots of the place of days gone by .regarding the steam engine --now that would be interesting , toshboy

Hi BigG-Unit and Toshboy,
Ok George and Ivor, a couple of pics for you.
oiltreader
Apologies for being off lorry topic.

ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  Hurst.jpg

Chilswell Hill Iron and Sand Quarry South Hinksey.jpg

A connection between Chawley Brickworks and Timbmet. Click on the link
oiltreader

oxforddailyphoto.blogspot.com/20 ā€¦ -site.html

JAKEY:
I have seen your truck M G B , how long have you been there ? , do recall Dave Harris ? , like chris says in the early days there lorrys were allways taken home , One Cruiser was parked up by the Brs oxford depot , and one at Abingdon . Who drove they Roadtrain that Oil reader has posted .

Hi Jakey,
I no longer work there they got a new TM in and he is changing everything cos his job is to cut costs, the main thing being the way they pay. I only went there last year so I only know present drivers.Was a good job but as everything some one comes in and makes a name for themselfs of the back of other people. The reason they stopped drivers taking lorries home was because 2 got pinched from Witney over a weekend.

Hi Chris , you mentioned the green roadroundabout for truck spotting when I was about 16 we hung about there on our fizzys (fs1e) and I could tell you by the engine note and looking the other way what truck was parked in the traffic , also or the Brs night trunkers would pass there as they were heading north and would tap there horn as they saw me there .
When I lived at my dads house in Headington, I could here the back axle of a roadtrain, as they went along the bypass in the early hours of the mornings . :open_mouth:

This is the Atlet truck after it had just been washed at Brs Northampton , this is the Truck I found in Rush green about seven years ago and found a recent picture on a site of how it looks now .It was a blue colour with a yellow sheet when new and was sprayed up in these colours at about 5 years old .The driver when new was Tony Smith and then Tony Botto and me as holiday relief ,I ended up full time after waiting 7 years and took on the new truck which was white with yellow and grey stripes. This was a 1730 roadtrain with a 265 rolls royce , You can see Tony had a hadley air horns and a cb .

Witney skip outfit.
oiltreader

B&E Witney.jpg

bodley.ox.ac.uk/external/ā– ā– ā–  ā€¦ -works.htm
I had a look whilst driving along A420 yesterday; between Hartwells and ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  turnoff in a lorry you can see the old overgrown quarry faces. The cottages on the other side; could they have been quarrymens houses as opposed to farmers ones? Whilst on the subject, the new Hills sandpit in Tubney Wood beside the A338 is called Upwood Quarry (new sign gone up recently)

oxfordmail.co.uk/news/headli ā€¦ ing_crash/
Oxford Mail doesnā€™t say much but it involved a Cemex mixer. I canā€™t say too much other than I know the driver involved as he used to run a couple of trucks for RMC/Cemex until fairly recently and had come back to help out an owner driver. I will say heā€™s a steady driver who knows the job inside outā€¦this hasnā€™t stopped some pathetic comments on this forum;
singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ā€¦ -out-there
Sad way for said driver to finish his career :frowning:

Pictured in Abingdon ?90s.

Muckaway:
UPDATE: Woodstock Road reopened following crash | Oxford Mail
Oxford Mail doesnā€™t say much but it involved a Cemex mixer. I canā€™t say too much other than I know the driver involved as he used to run a couple of trucks for RMC/Cemex until fairly recently and had come back to help out an owner driver. I will say heā€™s a steady driver who knows the job inside outā€¦this hasnā€™t stopped some pathetic comments on this forum;

Hi Nathan .
Sorry news indeed -especially when you know the driver involved but you can see where the anti lorry brigade come from-cyclists and heavies dont mix any where --Woodstock rd one lane empty mostly (bus lane) squeezing the rest into one -Oxford does not have the best of traffic managment !
I live in Wantage and not to be compared with Oxford in respect of traffic but theres one tipper operator here who could easily hit the headlines before long --and you know who i mean!!!
toshboy

Muckaway:
UPDATE: Woodstock Road reopened following crash | Oxford Mail

This post triggered the grey cells to something I came across recently.
oiltreader.

Edit.Here is the link
agg-net.com/news/mpa-cycle-s ā€¦ -in-oxford

I asked my Dad if heā€™d got any pictures of the General Foods fleet he drove when I was a kid and he came up with theseā€¦

Not bad,but these were taken in 1970 and I wasnt born until 1971 :open_mouth: oh well at least he has got his pics on TruckNet :laughing:

Hi Toshboy, yes I know exactly who you mean: Iā€™m amazed that a weight limit hasnā€™t been put in Wantage. I know someone who was made redundant from there; Was there a link to the fact heā€™d started to voice concerns about driving styles shall we say?
It wont be long before they kill someoneā€¦

Muckaway:
Hi Toshboy, yes I know exactly who you mean: Iā€™m amazed that a weight limit hasnā€™t been put in Wantage. I know someone who was made redundant from there; Was there a link to the fact heā€™d started to voice concerns about driving styles shall we say?

Thought youā€™d be out "on the beer " somewhere to-night Nathan,you know the craic,spreading tarmac and tipping aggregate and needing a shovel to dig yourself out of the bar at closing time ( oh! forgot there is no closing time now is there!!) so youā€™ll need a Face Shovel in that case!! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

Muckaway:

Thought youā€™d be out "on the beer " somewhere to-night Nathan,you know the craic,spreading tarmac and tipping aggregate and needing a shovel to dig yourself out of the bar at closing time ( oh! forgot there is no closing time now is there!!) so youā€™ll need a Face Shovel in that case!! Cheers Dennis.

Went out to the Evenlode pub at Eynsham for a meal with Sarah earlier, Callum paying grandma and grandad a visitā€¦witresses there in halloween garb, a generously boobed young lady dressed in rocky horror styleā€¦needless to say I was tilting the table without using my handsā€¦ :laughing:

Muckaway:

Bewick:

Muckaway:
Went out to the Evenlode pub at Eynsham for a meal with Sarah earlier, Callum paying grandma and grandad a visitā€¦witresses there in halloween garb, a generously boobed young lady dressed in rocky horror styleā€¦needless to say I was tilting the table without using my handsā€¦ :laughing:

I wont go to that place then Nathan, the tables must lightā€¦and VERY low! :wink:

Pete.