Old companys from stoke -on trent

wild thing:
Hi John
I saw Ron at Mick Harrisons 60th a couple of yrs ago, he looked really well and yes we did partake a few and do a few loades out of croxden and a few bricks too!!!
Flying Foden
Jeff
got your message I have replied to it but just in case it didn’t go through thanks for the offer I will be in touch mate
Cheers
Duls.

Didnt get your pm mate . but offer still stand when your ready .cheers jeff

Flying Foden
Thats Brill Mate! Dont know what happened with the pm tried to send it 3 times .I will see Dave & get some to you once again thanks mate
Duls

Chrisv

Thanks mate ,Its a shame he couldn’t have seen how well our John is doing ,He has his own Garage doing truck repairs & also running one as well
soon to be 2 . But knowing him he has his eye on us!
Cheers Mate
Duls

Gardner 120:

Numbum:

copied from scrapbook memories

Hiya…bad news today…Franky Lewis… ex Mears… malcom harrison driver and salesman and Lewis light commercials
owner passed away 31 1 2012 sad news. he was a good mate. at only 65 he’s been taken to soon RIP Frank.
John

3300John:

Gardner 120:

Numbum:

copied from scrapbook memories

Hiya…bad news today…Franky Lewis… ex Mears… malcom harrison driver and salesman and Lewis light commercials
owner passed away 31 1 2012 sad news. he was a good mate. at only 65 he’s been taken to soon RIP Frank.
John

Sad news about Frank, used to deal with him when at Iveco, had a few part ex’s off me over the years, very nice guy, sad loss, thoughts and wishes go to his family.

RIP Frank

regards
Ant

wild thing:
Hi John
I also worked for Harrisons from 84 till 92, had some great fun with some cracking lads and also great gaffers. I drove a sedac in the colours of J & R hill of meir which was Blue & not the regular green , got done on the A1 for doing 78 mph in her !!!.Believe it or not I am a driver trainer now . How times have changed. I have loades of photo’s of local companies I have worked for including Mountfords,Daveys,& of course harrisons I also have a model truck collection of lots more local companies like Shirleys. Croxden Gravel , Kettle’s & lots more.When I get time I have to get some pics posted up when I sus how to do it
Cheers
Wild Thing aka Duls

Hi Wild Thing
My uncle Albert Edwards was Mountfords mechanic for years . Be great to see some photos i remember them very well .
Mel

melandmel:

wild thing:
Hi John
I also worked for Harrisons from 84 till 92, had some great fun with some cracking lads and also great gaffers. I drove a sedac in the colours of J & R hill of meir which was Blue & not the regular green , got done on the A1 for doing 78 mph in her !!!.Believe it or not I am a driver trainer now . How times have changed. I have loades of photo’s of local companies I have worked for including Mountfords,Daveys,& of course harrisons I also have a model truck collection of lots more local companies like Shirleys. Croxden Gravel , Kettle’s & lots more.When I get time I have to get some pics posted up when I sus how to do it
Cheers
Wild Thing aka Duls

Hi Wild Thing
My uncle Albert Edwards was Mountfords mechanic for years . Be great to see some photos i remember them very well .

Hiya …if you go onto google, type in… Bill clowes truck photo’s…you need the picasa album one at the top of the page.
then clik on the volvo page theres about 10 photo’s of mountfords lorries lined up when they had the sale i think the seddon is on
their as well
John

:slight_smile: Hi
I found this forum by accident and after going through all 26 pages on this topic it brought back some memories seeing photos of Beresfords trucks I used to see as a child,the photos of the old Bassett trucks that my dad used to drive and the trucks I repaired/drove during my apprenticeship at Bassetts. I can remember driving that old yellow wrecker of bassetts playing many an old tune on that gearbox, using an early version of cruise control which was a stick between the throttle and indicator stork. Oh what memories!!!

Welcome calamity, its a great place for sharing old lorries and memories, happy days, enjoy.

Joined this site yesterday, having seen a few bits about Turners from Bucknall.
Turner Brothers as it was initially called was started by my Grandad, Albert Turner and his brother and was based at Foundry Garage, Bucknall. My Dad, “Big” Geoff Maunders owned/ran Turners in the 70’s and 80’s with my Uncle “Little” Geoff Hodgkiss. The firm was then called Turner Roadways Limited. Dad and Geoff Hodgkiss married the Turner twins; Rosemary, my Mum and Yvonne my Aunty.
My Dad grew up in Bucknall and Phil Bunch was a good childhood friend. I can vaguely remember Phil visiting in between driving to, what seemed at the time, the other side of the world. He always had this huge smile on his face, a proper ‘cheeky chap’, and quick witted to boot.
My Uncle, Len Dale, who drove for them ( as did most of the Dales) used to take me to Fort Dunlop as a kid, to collect scrap tyres in a rack sider. We would then go to a big tip out towards Tissington, where they were dropped into a disused quarry. These were some of the happiest times i ever had. I believe this quarry caught fire some years later and burned for weeks.
I remember some of the blokes who worked there; a big bloke from Wales worked in the office. He was named Howell i think. Micker Matthews was a general handyman and always used to knock screws in with an hammer when no one was looking whilst repairing flatbeds!!. Kenny Platt was a mechanic there, as was Don Allman,Gary Parsons and Paul Oliver who has supplied some pictures earlier in the thread. There were two Pauls who were mechanics if i remember rightly; one was an apprentice so to speak. One day a lorry made its own way down the yard onto Dividy Road where it ended up on its side; Paul ‘the apprentice’ jumped into the cab and trapped his hand on something; i remember thinking how much it must have hurt.
The site consisted of an office, next to the garage. Opposite was the body shop and uphill on the left was the top shed. There was a big crane in the yard, that i dont ever think i saw move once.
The business moved to a site in Fenton, the land being sold for housing, before moving to Chemical Lane in Longport. In the early 1990’s it was bought by Ellis Fellows from West Bromwich who was part of the Keltruck empire. Dad when to work with Ellis as his transport manager until he retired five or six years ago.
I do hope this rings some bells for someone on here. If anyone is still in touch with Phil Bunch remind my Dad to him; if he wants any contact details please get back to me.

Any of you lads knew Turnocks Transport from Brick Kiln Lane Etruria in Stoke.

Aye, a remember them there depot just off the A 500. I think Fergy would load them back from time to time allthough they didnt seem to get up the north east a great lot I used to see them down London in the 60s, & Glasgow also, I wonder if they are still operating ? , Regards Larry.

John Maunders:
Joined this site yesterday, having seen a few bits about Turners from Bucknall.
Turner Brothers as it was initially called was started by my Grandad, Albert Turner and his brother and was based at Foundry Garage, Bucknall. My Dad, “Big” Geoff Maunders owned/ran Turners in the 70’s and 80’s with my Uncle “Little” Geoff Hodgkiss. The firm was then called Turner Roadways Limited. Dad and Geoff Hodgkiss married the Turner twins; Rosemary, my Mum and Yvonne my Aunty.
My Dad grew up in Bucknall and Phil Bunch was a good childhood friend. I can vaguely remember Phil visiting in between driving to, what seemed at the time, the other side of the world. He always had this huge smile on his face, a proper ‘cheeky chap’, and quick witted to boot.
My Uncle, Len Dale, who drove for them ( as did most of the Dales) used to take me to Fort Dunlop as a kid, to collect scrap tyres in a rack sider. We would then go to a big tip out towards Tissington, where they were dropped into a disused quarry. These were some of the happiest times i ever had. I believe this quarry caught fire some years later and burned for weeks.
I remember some of the blokes who worked there; a big bloke from Wales worked in the office. He was named Howell i think. Micker Matthews was a general handyman and always used to knock screws in with an hammer when no one was looking whilst repairing flatbeds!!. Kenny Platt was a mechanic there, as was Don Allman,Gary Parsons and Paul Oliver who has supplied some pictures earlier in the thread. There were two Pauls who were mechanics if i remember rightly; one was an apprentice so to speak. One day a lorry made its own way down the yard onto Dividy Road where it ended up on its side; Paul ‘the apprentice’ jumped into the cab and trapped his hand on something; i remember thinking how much it must have hurt.
The site consisted of an office, next to the garage. Opposite was the body shop and uphill on the left was the top shed. There was a big crane in the yard, that i dont ever think i saw move once.
The business moved to a site in Fenton, the land being sold for housing, before moving to Chemical Lane in Longport. In the early 1990’s it was bought by Ellis Fellows from West Bromwich who was part of the Keltruck empire. Dad when to work with Ellis as his transport manager until he retired five or six years ago.
I do hope this rings some bells for someone on here. If anyone is still in touch with Phil Bunch remind my Dad to him; if he wants any contact details please get back to me.

Hi John,
Welcome to the forum,
2 names you mentioned in your post - Gary Parsons, I worked with Gary at West pennine trucks Scania, not sure if he is still there, he was based at Telford for a while and Paul Oliver is driving for IAE, not seen him for a while
Regards
Ant

Thanks for the PM Ant; much appreciated.
I will try and post some photos in due course of various lorries. I remember the Scammels that were mentioned earlier. There was a pair of them i think; beast of a truck at the time.

f troop:

Hiya …wow a few pages back we posted a list of stoke hauliers and i think we all had forgoten turnocks
and turner roadways…i’ve just thought of another ERF haulier but the name has gone into the grey matter…
was it Lovatts transport from Mow cop or biddulph area they ran some well used light green erf units.
John

3300John:

f troop:

Hiya …wow a few pages back we posted a list of stoke hauliers and i think we all had forgoten turnocks
and turner roadways…i’ve just thought of another ERF haulier but the name has gone into the grey matter…
was it Lovatts transport from Mow cop or biddulph area they ran some well used light green erf units.
John

Is that the same Lovatts that runs out of the Fenton Industrial estate on Dewsbury Road in the black and white livery same as E & E Transport?

bestbooties:

3300John:

f troop:

Is that the same Lovatts that runs out of the Fenton Industrial estate on Dewsbury Road in the black and white livery same as E & E Transport
Hiya ian…no i don’t think so. this firm had very pale green erf’s with red chassis and i think a white roof…i’am going back to the mid70’s
i think they did some bagged salt…i remember they always had a trailer flap missing or a tractor mudguard fastened up with rope
and very often a hudseal on the drive axel spinning black oil in the drive wheel…how silly to remember little things.
i think they worked hard but never had new lorries…i think they return loaded steel plate from london area.
John

ERF advert from 1969 grinding through Burslem - nice Triumph Herald and Mr Whippy ice cream van.

Burslam B-light & Fading b.jpg

Thanks for the pm john welcome to trucknet,my dad drove for turners for a short time, he worked with a fella called john , cant remember his surname lived in bentilee, my dad went to work for moorlock and john had a short spell with culls were their trucks bright orange or what, and then he joined moorlocks too. Looking back the trucks wernt as comfortable as they are today but the job was better, too much red tape today.Happy days.

bestbooties:
[

Is that the same Lovatts that runs out of the Fenton Industrial estate on Dewsbury Road in the black and white livery same as E & E Transport?

hey ian

lovatts run out of estruscan street now mate just at the side of SCA wood place, & also park some motors in beeches on the d road. :slight_smile:

cheers
gaz