Off to Tobermory Isle Of Mull Wednesday

Getting up there on a crossing on Wednesday from Oban for a 08:00 tip on Thursday and then staying up there until Monday to pick the returns up so would like some ideas on things to do if possible on the Friday/Saturday and Sunday? Is there a bus that runs down to where the ferry docks as I was thinking I may go over into Oban on the Saturday and come back over the same day on a later sailing.
I’ve got good walking gear so if there are any decent walks to go on I’m all ears. Being put up in a b&b for 2 nights and getting 8 hours at time and half for the Saturday and 8 hours at double bubble for the Sunday I’m not working plus my nights out and £20 each day I’m up there for using the tail lift so it’s like I’m being paid to spend 4 days in a lovely part of the UK :smiley:

Hang on I’ll come with ya… now where’s that bloody passport.

Grab your biggest fishing rods and spend the weekend hunting out a skate. Keep an eye out for the sea eagles and golden eagles. Just chill out and enjoy the island. Dont waste your time with Oban. Its just a fairly boring tourist town. Plenty pubs and hotels for a drink would be the only highlight.

Hi,
I have been here several times although never spent too long on the Island, its usually been drop and go.
There are some nice places, small roads with lots of passing places dotted about. There are some small steep tight turns also, so try and plan your route rather than blindly following a Pratnav.

I am sure I remember seeing a bus drop off and collect down at the docks, not a lot else there other than a cafe and a shop.
Tobermory is quite picturesque in itself with its brightly painted properties, can be difficult to get parked down by the shops on the main drag, although I can’t imagine it being full of tourists this time of year.

I don’t drink so usually just grab a bite to eat somewhere and get gone, last time I went I delivered to a hotel that was being refurbished and they kindly made me something to eat before I left.

Enjoy your trip, sorry I cannot be of any more use.

Lovely place!

As said I wouldn’t bother with Oban either. There will be a bus down to the ferry to Iona .Tobermory served as Balamory in the childrens tv shows some years ago.Check your route as there is a road closure at present near Crianlarich don’t know if it would affect you or not.

drink heavily for 4 days.
go fishing.
go fishing and drink heavily.
drink heavily and go fishing.
obans a ■■■■■■■■■
stay on the island.

One of my lads lived in Oban for a while, he worked at the puffin dive center but he said Oban itself was ok but not great. We visited him and I rather liked it personally but that was 20 years ago.

I’m jealous, what a fantastic run. I’d love to do more Scotland

Cracking job that mate.
You can park on the harbourside and there are showers available there too.
McGochans and The Mishnish serve good beer and grub.
Nice walk from the harbour along the coast to Aros park and back and the other way from nr tge Lufeboat and ferry slip to the lighthouse and back via the golf course.
There are buses but very limited tbh but if you get the chance have a go, especially on the bus to Dervaig and Calgary bay

make sure your truck has ferry lashing points they can be quite strict on this at cal-mac oban.

shamu1:
make sure your truck has ferry lashing points they can be quite strict on this at cal-mac oban.

Yeah it has mate went over to South Uist the other month.

FLIP:
Cracking job that mate.
You can park on the harbourside and there are showers available there too.
McGochans and The Mishnish serve good beer and grub.
Nice walk from the harbour along the coast to Aros park and back and the other way from nr tge Lufeboat and ferry slip to the lighthouse and back via the golf course.
There are buses but very limited tbh but if you get the chance have a go, especially on the bus to Dervaig and Calgary bay

Found out I’m staying in the Mishnish. Are any of the boat trips running in the winter months do you know?

Get yourself onto one of the whale watching trips out of Tobermory. Been twice all the way to Col and seen basking sharks and minke whales. Loads of harbour porpoise, seals.
As already said, Macgeecans near the main car park is worth a meal and a few pints.

sent using smoke signals

peterm:
Hang on I’ll come with ya… now where’s that bloody passport.

Don’t forget to change your currency…(Or so my missus thought last year on a trip to Edinburgh.)

Ken.

If you do decide to hang out in Oban, I did some great scuba diving there, depending on visibility, the water can be clear .
I am PADI advanced but if you are not a qualified diver, do the course this weekend.
Then this allows you to dive around the world.
It was a while ago but UK Tramp mentioned the Puffin dive shop and that must be the one I went to.
I’m sure there are some ship wrecks to dive to.
Failing that idea, deep sea mackerel fishing trip then drink lots of beer.
Then grab a granny night at the bingo club.

What an adventurous bunch we have on here. When I am in Oban its a walk up to McCaigs Folly and bar lunch at Weatherspoons.

Quinny:
Don’t forget to change your currency…(Or so my missus thought last year on a trip to Edinburgh.)

Ken.

She isnt 100% incorrect as the Scottish banks issue their own banknotes and they are treated with suspicion sometimes when you try to change them ‘darn sarf’ …

I.ve done it a couple of times in the truck and once for a long weekend with the wife, its a lovely place ,we stayed in the Mishnish hotel for the 3 nights and Saturday night was really lively, on the Sunday we took a drive around the island, stopped at a pure white sandy beach for an hour and in all that time we never saw a single other person, really is a lovely place

raymundo:

Quinny:

Ken.

She isnt 100% incorrect as the Scottish banks issue their own banknotes and they are treated with suspicion sometimes when you try to change them ‘darn sarf’ …

Your right Ray, but when I asked her if she had the passports on approaching the border on the A1, she said sh had left them at home. I kid you not.

Ken.