Got a run to the Isle Of Uist.... Info please

Hope fully if all goes to plan I have got a run from Barnsley to Dalabrog on South Uist for the 9th May. Our place says I’m getting the ferry from Mallaig and will be leaving our yard in Barnsley on the Sunday 7th May.
I’m pulling a 14 foot 11 trailer so it looks like I’ve got to go up the A82 past Fort William then across the A87 to Kyle Of Lochalsh and down to Ardvasar and get a 30 min ferry crossing over to Mallaig due to all the low bridges on the A830. Only ever been up to Achfary on the North West side of Scotland and went up to Inverness and Ullapool way. I’ve never been over the Erskine Bridge and up Fort William and through Glen Coe or up to the Isle Of Sky so wouldn’t mind some info on what the roads are like up there if possible.
I’ll be tipping out on the 9th then have a full day to do what I want as I wait for the returns so if anyone can give me some ideas on things to do on South Uist I’d appreciate it very much. I’m thinking of talking some good walking hear and go for a hike or is their anywhere where I can just chill with a nice pint bite to eat and watch the world go by?
Then it’s the journey in reverse to bring the stuff back down to Barnsley. Really can’t wait if all goes to plan.

Can’t give you much advice, we run into Benebecula on the Uig - Lochmaddy crossing, but it’s nice to go somewhere peaceful for a change. I ened up stuck there for nearly two days and spent a happy couple of days mooching about with my dog, bit like being on a camping holiday really. :laughing:

I’m a bit jealous(as long as the weather is decent)! :laughing:

The only thing to do on South Uist is the sheep, ask any Welshman for tips … :wink:

Check your ferry, I’m almost certain the boat into South Uist is from Oban and the North from Skye.

A.

Edit: they sail from both it seems.

Adonis.:
Check your ferry, I’m almost certain the boat into South Uist is from Oban and the North from Skye.

A.

there is one out of Mallaig, we’ve used it once when there was a problem with one of the other boats.

Mallaig to Lochboisdale on Sth. Uist. Uig on Skye for Nth Uist.

Adonis.:

A.

Been on website for South Uist and it says you can sail from either Mallaig or Oban. The Mallaig crossing takes 3 hour 30 mins and the Oban one 5 hour 10 mins.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

Adonis.:

A.

Been on website for South Uist and it says you can sail from either Mallaig or Oban. The Mallaig crossing takes 3 hour 30 mins and the Oban one 5 hour 10 mins.

Think you will find the Oban one goes to Barra

If you’re sailing out of Mallaig why are you going onto the Skye and getting a ferry back to Mallaig? Why not use the A830 from Fort William to Mallaig? Fairly sure there are no issues with low bridges.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Actually thinking about it there are a couple at Glenfinnan that are fairly low so A830 is a no go.

mick.mh2racing:
Actually thinking about it there are a couple at Glenfinnan that are fairly low so A830 is a no go.

Yeah I checked my Phillips truckers atlas and I’m sure there may be 3 could even be 4 that’s under the 14 foot mark.

Very jealous to be honest.

It is nice up there but i get as far as Fort William and im ready for turning back and heading for home, theres only so many hills and blind bends you can enjoy driving a fully loaded artic around , doesnt matter how nice the scenery is it gets tiresome after a while

Do you know about the midges?? I suggest that you start to eat garlic as that helps to keep them away but there really is no known cure.If going to Mallaig check out the Gen Finnan viaduct, from Harry Potter.

alamcculloch:
Do you know about the midges?? I suggest that you start to eat garlic as that helps to keep them away but there really is no known cure.If going to Mallaig check out the Gen Finnan viaduct, from Harry Potter.

Avon skin so soft is a common favourite, or 100% DEET.

Failing that, douse yourself in petrol and set yourself aflame, provides moderate protection.

A.

Wow, lucky you! I’m jealous. Cant help tho :wink:

chaversdad:
It is nice up there but i get as far as Fort William and im ready for turning back and heading for home, theres only so many hills and blind bends you can enjoy driving a fully loaded artic around , doesnt matter how nice the scenery is it gets tiresome after a while

So does the M1

14 ft 11 trailer.
its a caravan ffs.

You won’t get under the bridges on the Fort William to Mallaig road with 14’ 11" trailer, they are 13’ 6" (and there’s 3 of them). Skye to Mallaig ferry used to be notorious for cancellations, check ahead. Also enquire about your height for that ferry, maybe it’s changed but used to be quite a small ferry and not one lorries tended to use but it does sound like your only option.

Avoid A82 Loch Lomond if you can, full of tourists and coaches with a few narrow miles where trucks/buses meeting often bring traffic to a standstill. Easier going up the M73/M9 towards Stirling then turning off M9 onto A84. Couple of blind bends you’ll need to crawl round on that road but it’s nowhere near as bad as Loch Lomond road. Watch your mirrors going up through Glencoe, soft verges with just enough room for 2 lorries to pass on certain stretches. (Reading that back it sounds hellish but it’s not that bad!)

Other than that it’s a beautiful journey though so enjoy!

If you are in Skye anyway would you not get ferry from uig to lochmaddy and drive down to south Uist ? Seems along way round your doing it via mallaig.
If your coming from south and heading for Skye it’s quicker heading up a9 to dalwhinnie and then across to speanbridge,nicer run up a82 but getting busy with tourists now