Oban to South uist info

Can anyone please help me with a bit of info,what is the best day to deliver to south uist with regard to not having to wait too long for a return ferry ,iam thinking of arriving there at 2050 hrs on a Thursday getting unloaded that night and getting the 0855 on a Friday back to Oban ,is this the best way for a quick turn round as I believe that on some days there’s no ferry at all ,thanks Dan .p.s also any hiab lorries about that area as I can get away with sending a 3.5 tonner rather than a 26 tonner if so .

I cannot help with ferries but what a rare treat, I’ll do it free eh charge :smiley:

Oban is gorgeous and so is the drive up espcaully if you go rest and be thankful, and I’ve only ever been to south uist once as a child but it had amazing beaches!

Well jel :laughing:

I’ve done colonsay before ,I ended up being there a week as it was too foggy to fly the goods up the hill by chopper ! But no sorry you can’t go ,iam going and that’s final !!

You lucky mother f… trucker!!! :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

merc0447:
Oban is gorgeous

Agreed. Come rain or shine it seems to have an aura about it.

i took 2 loads of 60ft beams to Oban then across to Mull and down to Tobermorey, that was the easy bit, the other 2 loads where for Lochaline just over the water from Mull but they where too long for the ferry so i had to go up to Fort William and then back down the other side to Lochaline on some extremely narrow roads, it was stressful at the time but i fell in love with the area and we have been back several times on holiday since , had some great (if somewhat drunken nights) in the Mishnish Hotel at Tobermorey

That depends on what and where on south uist you are delivering to. With regards hiab you could try a company called hebco or laing motors (just up from pier at lochboisdale). You could maybe also try going in South uist and out north uist as they run everyday to skye.

Armbands and a rubber ring

:unamused: Could you not borrow a DUKW ? :laughing: :slight_smile:

chaversdad:
i took 2 loads of 60ft beams to Oban then across to Mull and down to Tobermorey, that was the easy bit, the other 2 loads where for Lochaline just over the water from Mull but they where too long for the ferry so i had to go up to Fort William and then back down the other side to Lochaline on some extremely narrow roads, it was stressful at the time but i fell in love with the area and we have been back several times on holiday since , had some great (if somewhat drunken nights) in the Mishnish Hotel at Tobermorey

Lovely run to Lochaline though but at 60’ it must have been interesting.
Love The Mishnish too. Great getting a few scoops down with the locals and in Craignure too.
Enjoy Uist Dan. You’ll love it!

Thanks for the info and pm all ,if I get the job it’s in December and I’ve arranged a crane to lift the machine off a flatbed ,it’s down to the customer now .

Plenty of time to sort a back load out Dan :smiley: :smiley:

I can count the back loads I’ve had from Scotland on my hands ! Ooh one went to France as it was too big to fit in a euro liner ,so that’s 11 !

The above mentioned job didn’t materialise ,however iam very pleased iam now going tomorrow to Ullapool and over to Stornaway with a different load .does anyone know much about the 11 pm freight boat from Stornaway with regard to shower ,bed ,meals ect ,I know it’s only about 3 hrs ish ?

If you are leaving after this coming monday you will be on Loch Seaforth which enters service on monday.

Cheers but iam en route now .

First time today I’ve ever knowingly been measured prior to getting on a ferry !

Dan Punchard:
First time today I’ve ever knowingly been measured prior to getting on a ferry !

they like to sqeeze as much on as they can lol