Off to Tobermory Isle Of Mull Wednesday

Quinny:

raymundo:

Quinny:
Don’t forget to change your currency…(Or so my missus thought last year on a trip to Edinburgh.)

Ken.

She isnt 100% incorrect as the Scottish banks issue their own banknotes and they are treated with suspicion sometimes when you try to change them ‘darn sarf’ …

Your right Ray, but when I asked her if she had the passports on approaching the border on the A1, she said she had left them at home. I kid you not.

Ken.

The pure white beach would most likely be Calgary Sands The Canadian Calgary is named after it.

raymundo:

Quinny:
Don’t forget to change your currency…(Or so my missus thought last year on a trip to Edinburgh.)

Ken.

She isnt 100% incorrect as the Scottish banks issue their own banknotes and they are treated with suspicion sometimes when you try to change them ‘darn sarf’ …

Don’t I know it.

Quinny:

raymundo:

Quinny:

Ken.

Your right Ray, but when I asked her if she had the passports on approaching the border on the A1, she said sh had left them at home. I kid you not.

Ken.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
she may be related to this prime example of whats went wrong with the uk educational system in todays world.

all their links are either fake or real…mind boggling,but so irritating you tend to keep watching

youtube.com/watch?v=YcKlERcPFDY

What’s the road like from Crianlarich to Oban like for low bridges? I’ll be running at about 13 foot 6-13 foot 9 I’ve noticed about 3 bridges around that height around Oban in my Phillips atlas.

In answer to your query about bridge heights on the road between Crianlarich and Oban.
There is only one bridge where you will need to be careful. It’s on the A85, around a mile and a half east of Connel, seven miles from Oban. It’s fourteen feet marked, but you can slip through it at a little more. It’s arched, and you need to take the middle of the road to use the height. At 13.9 you’ll be fine as long as you go canny.
The A82 is closed at the moment between Tarbet and Crianlarich daily from 08.00 to 18.00 for barrier repairs and other work. It’s the worst section of the road to drive, so it’s your lucky day!!
As you are coming from the south, I would recommend that you go M74/M73/M80, then M9 to J10 at Stirling, going west then on A84. That will take you to Crianlarich without going into Glasgow at all and is only around ten miles, if that, extra.
Tobermory is my home village. Unfortunately, there’s not a lot going on there at this time of year, and the weather has been dire of late, so take a good book!! There are some nice walks to do, both of which are really just extensions of each side of the harbour, worth doing g though. There are no boat trips running now, but Calmac runs a small car ferry from Tobermory across to Ardnamurchan which is a remote part of the Scottish mainland. You can go as a passenger for only a few pounds. Quite enjoyable on a decent day, and you never know what you might see in the way of wildlife. The journey takes about half an hour each way.

I’m assuming you’re delivering to the local Co-op. I’m also sure that they will ask you to go along Main Street to get to the job. That’s fine, but you will need to either drive along and then, when tipped, reverse back to the harbour car park. Do Not go on past the shop , as there is nowhere to turn a large vehicle. There have been instances of coaches going right along and becoming completely stuck. There was a lot of head scratching going on until one of the ferry men came along and suggested driving the coach onto the ferry, ferry then pulls off the slip, turns round, comes back in, coach then facing the right way drives back off again. It could only happen in the hebrides!
I think you said you are getting a room in the Mishnish for a couple of nights. You’ll be fine in there. There are four pubs along the front, all ok for beer and grub, there are a Chinese and Indian also so you’ll be more likely to die of boredom than hunger.

I’ll be away from tomorrow and not back till Saturday, but might catch you for a pint on sat night, and could maybe take you for a run round the island on Sunday.
One day at a time eh? Enjoy it whatever.

Old John:
In answer to your query about bridge heights on the road between Crianlarich and Oban.
There is only one bridge where you will need to be careful. It’s on the A85, around a mile and a half east of Connel, seven miles from Oban. It’s fourteen feet marked, but you can slip through it at a little more. It’s arched, and you need to take the middle of the road to use the height. At 13.9 you’ll be fine as long as you go canny.
The A82 is closed at the moment between Tarbet and Crianlarich daily from 08.00 to 18.00 for barrier repairs and other work. It’s the worst section of the road to drive, so it’s your lucky day!!
As you are coming from the south, I would recommend that you go M74/M73/M80, then M9 to J10 at Stirling, going west then on A84. That will take you to Crianlarich without going into Glasgow at all and is only around ten miles, if that, extra.
Tobermory is my home village. Unfortunately, there’s not a lot going on there at this time of year, and the weather has been dire of late, so take a good book!! There are some nice walks to do, both of which are really just extensions of each side of the harbour, worth doing g though. There are no boat trips running now, but Calmac runs a small car ferry from Tobermory across to Ardnamurchan which is a remote part of the Scottish mainland. You can go as a passenger for only a few pounds. Quite enjoyable on a decent day, and you never know what you might see in the way of wildlife. The journey takes about half an hour each way.

I’m assuming you’re delivering to the local Co-op. I’m also sure that they will ask you to go along Main Street to get to the job. That’s fine, but you will need to either drive along and then, when tipped, reverse back to the harbour car park. Do Not go on past the shop , as there is nowhere to turn a large vehicle. There have been instances of coaches going right along and becoming completely stuck. There was a lot of head scratching going on until one of the ferry men came along and suggested driving the coach onto the ferry, ferry then pulls off the slip, turns round, comes back in, coach then facing the right way drives back off again. It could only happen in the hebrides!
I think you said you are getting a room in the Mishnish for a couple of nights. You’ll be fine in there. There are four pubs along the front, all ok for beer and grub, there are a Chinese and Indian also so you’ll be more likely to die of boredom than hunger.

I’ll be away from tomorrow and not back till Saturday, but might catch you for a pint on sat night, and could maybe take you for a run round the island on Sunday.
One day at a time eh? Enjoy it whatever.

Thanks for the info it’s much appreciated. Yeah I’m fetching shop fittings up for a refurb, tipping Thursday morning then staying up there until Monday where I’ll pick the returns up so I’ve about 3 and half days of lesuire to do what I want. I’m pulling an urban trailer so won’t be a normal artic length but I’ll heed your advice on reversing back :slight_smile:
They’re allowing me to park up in the harbour all weekend and have use of the facilities which is kind of them. Ive decided to go back over to Oban and travel the Oban to Glasgow train and then back as it’s one of the most stunning rail routes to travel and while I’m up that way I thought why not? I’m going to go on a couple of walks as well and I’ll gladly meet up with you for a wee dram and a pint on Saturday if you wish.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
Thanks for the info it’s much appreciated. Yeah I’m fetching shop fittings up for a refurb, tipping Thursday morning then staying up there until Monday where I’ll pick the returns up so I’ve about 3 and half days of lesuire to do what I want. I’m pulling an urban trailer so won’t be a normal artic length but I’ll heed your advice on reversing back :slight_smile:
They’re allowing me to park up in the harbour all weekend and have use of the facilities which is kind of them. Ive decided to go back over to Oban and travel the Oban to Glasgow train and then back as it’s one of the most stunning rail routes to travel and while I’m up that way I thought why not? I’m going to go on a couple of walks as well and I’ll gladly meet up with you for a wee dram and a pint on Saturday if you wish.

Any Jobs going at your place? :smiley:

Blooming heck, with all that time off, I would get a train or bus to Glasgow or Edinburgh, good night life at both places.
Lorry parked in the harbour, no worries, if you left it unlocked, nobody would touch it.
Or even hire a car to tour the Highlands with a guest house or B&B.
Did the ferry firm charge for the turn around?