Notice letter, what would you do?

Very unreliable = no. He’s doing you a favour by leaving but it does rather point up the lack of wonga in your firm, something to address there?

Darkside:
Just a lad hand his notice in. Early 20’s, married with kids, very unreliable, but an ok driver when he is in…

If it’s a big general haulage outfit probably worrying how to get all the trailers down the road, how many agency people are needed, how many subbies are needed to full fill contracts im sure they will take him back.

Id give him his job back just for the cheek of it :laughing:

Are things that bad in England ref driver shortage??

To the point that an “unreliable driver” leaves for short term work and yet you’d consider taking him back in New Year!!![emoji50]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

“very unreliable”…bye bye, don’t hurry back!

Poor lad has no idea what he’s doing! He’s going to have a rough rough new year

Darkside:
I have said my bit to him, what would you say?

Is the money I’m paying so bad that someone is willing to leave a permanent job to take some short term agency work?

Conor:

Darkside:
I have said my bit to him, what would you say?

Is the money I’m paying so bad that someone is willing to leave a permanent job to take some short term agency work?

+1

Unreliable - well why would you take him back, in fact why would you continue to employ him?

Are your wages back or is someone offering silly money to get them up to Xmas and then it’ll be no work/poor rate after Xmas?

Big Truck:
Are things that bad in England ref driver shortage??

To the point that an “unreliable driver” leaves for short term work and yet you’d consider taking him back in New Year!!![emoji50]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

But if he’s working for peanuts 9 months of the year, then he’s still good business.

That’s probably why the Christmas shortage exists, because there are a huge number of drivers out there who would do 12 months of driving work for Xmas rates, but they aren’t willing to leave steady jobs outside the industry to do just 3 months driving for Xmas rates, so the haulage sector is left to meet the Xmas peak using only the same number of drivers as who are available all year round, and that means some employers have to go short over Xmas (or pay Xmas rates for the Xmas period to their permanent drivers, in order to prevent them being temporarily poached by employers who are willing to pay more for a short period).

Offer him more? but only if he improves his reliability issues .perhaps you are creating unreliable staff paying peanuts …

I’d accept his resignation and invite him into the Office on the last day to “debrief him”, albeit to tell him that you wish him well, he’s burned his bridges and you won’t be considering him for employment in the future. Walk him to the gate and wish him goodbye, I’d also check that he hasn’t perloined any of the companies property before he leaves the site

peirre:
I’d invite him into the Office on the last day to “debrief him”

IMG_1144.JPG

thanks for the replies I was only wondering…

I posted this because after 17 years this side of the counter it is the first time that I someone has done this and been so up front about it. I am sure I will see it again.

He has said he enjoys the job here. Remember the pay and conditions are good enough for him 10 months a year.

I don’t think any operator can match the figures that are offered in the run up until Christmas by agencies, and offer these for 12 months.

I know nationally we are at a position, where to be honest drivers are now interviewing the operators before they take on new positions.

So two questions…

Is the driver shortage going to spur operators to pay their drivers more in the run up to Christmas to stop this?

Does anyone on here get more on their basic wage in the run up to Christmas already?

he is doing you a favour.bye bye.
surely if he is " unreliable" then he wont last long with the agency as only the creme de la creme work for them and they can pick and choose. :slight_smile:

This is market forces at work. Something the bosses are fond of saying when the shoe is on the other foot. I still wouldn’t have anybody who was unreliable never mind VERY unreliable!

Beetlejuice:
Offer him more? but only if he improves his reliability issues .perhaps you are creating unreliable staff paying peanuts …

Offer him more :open_mouth: :laughing:

Darkside:
thanks for the replies I was only wondering…

I posted this because after 17 years this side of the counter it is the first time that I someone has done this and been so up front about it. I am sure I will see it again.

He has said he enjoys the job here. Remember the pay and conditions are good enough for him 10 months a year.

I don’t think any operator can match the figures that are offered in the run up until Christmas by agencies, and offer these for 12 months.

I know nationally we are at a position, where to be honest drivers are now interviewing the operators before they take on new positions.

So two questions…

Is the driver shortage going to spur operators to pay their drivers more in the run up to Christmas to stop this?

Does anyone on here get more on their basic wage in the run up to Christmas already?

I don’t think any of mine would try a trick like that, though if they did it would be a case of nice knowing you and if we have a vacancy we’d take you back (we have done before when they decided the grass was indeed greener). Though as we would have to replace strightaway and the current average of employee length of service, excluding those that started this year is around 11 years, suggest there might be a wait :wink: .

We don’t pay more though there’s usually a reasonable bonus ( money other than me not ringing them up I mean :wink: )

Can’t see what’s to say. Just the obvious “can’t promise as we’d need to replace you”. If you need a driver if/when he comes back and you like him take him on. If you didn’t like him and he was unreliable and him leaving has put your nose out don’t. Anything else said is just emotion. He’s told you the money isn’t enough for him. Do with that info what you want. Case closed.