What would you do?

Just been told no work after September, I can go in the warehouse till things pick up.

I have a list of around 10 firms within a 15 mile radius who are not advertizing for drivers, but do I call in or send a C.V. off with a covering letter of what I’ve done & what I’ve driven.

I live in east Lancashire! :slight_smile:

Strange that they say no work after September in the run up to Christmas, when most companies will be stocking up to sell.

Does their decision just affect you or other drivers?
What are they doing with the trucks, parking them up or selling them? They still have to be insured on continuous insurance now, so there is still a fixed cost to factor in.
Are they subbing the work out?

Many many factors here, and (Don’t take this personally.) I feel your not telling the full picture perhaps.

Ken.

I would go and visit the 10 firms in a 15 mile radius in his lorry and ask about job prospects, cuts out all the CV crap if they see you driving a rig.

I work for a furniture maker, 1 driver 1 truck. Old fashioned company not interested in diversifing into other markets, The truck is on lease contract so will sit in yard until work picks up if ever?

Armagedon:
I would go and visit the 10 firms in a 15 mile radius in his lorry and ask about job prospects, cuts out all the CV crap if they see you driving a rig.

Yea !

‘Pop’ into them in your wagon & ask to speak to the TM & tell him/her that you was just passing & a mate said that they were “Looking for drivers” you’ve got nothing to loose & everything to gain. :wink:

PS, don’t forget, the press would have us believe that the economy is starting to pick up, so if you like the job you are in at the moment it might pay to stay loyal & go in the warehouse for a few weeks.

daf1691:
I work for a furniture maker, 1 driver 1 truck. Old fashioned company not interested in diversifing into other markets, The truck is on lease contract so will sit in yard until work picks up if ever?

I would call in at the 10 yards I got a job at the first place I went to hth

Quinny:
What are they doing with the trucks, parking them up or selling them? They still have to be insured on continuous insurance now, so there is still a fixed cost to factor in.

Not if they declare them SORN.

GBPub:

Quinny:

Not if they declare them SORN.

Just checked. You are correct.

Should have realised, as my mate and I have just taken our road rally car off the road for a month, and SORN’d it.

But as the op has stated, the truck is on lease contract, so still a fixed cost there.

Ken.

daf1691:

So,no goods going out at all? Have they laid off factory staff? Old fashioned firms are a rare breed, one driver, I’d say you were an asset- l’d stick with it. That doesn’t mean you can’t window shop :wink:
Go in the factory - you might like it! :slight_smile:

It sounds like an old fashioned type of company and with 1 truck and 1 driver so you should be valued, and them offering you work in the warehouse for a while to avoid laying you off shows that, but if you don’t fancy it maybe speak to them about taking some time off or even doing some agency work elsewhere on the basis that you’re there for them when work picks up again. You can be loyal to them and flexible at the same time, it may even help them out.

doing some agency work to fill in sounds fine, BUT.
Make sure that you are not breaking your employment if you do this.
Otherwise you will have no protection when re-starting with them.
At least going into the warehouse temporarily gives you continuous employment for future redundancies etc.
Of course if you haven’t been there long enough to have protection it doesn’t matter anyway.

Go and TALK to the boss, if he is human enough to tell you in advance , go and have a real discussion with him! Simple.
You will find out the real truth about your future at the company.

The only reason 1 truck 1 driver is company not big enough for more.
We supply schools with furniture, only time I’m out is school holidays, rest of time in warehouse anyway!
been there eight years & getting ■■■■■■ off with been out & earning then in & not.
Been to see boss back in July, like talking to the wall. Won’t listen, won’t move into other markets!