More advice from the wise please!

good evening ladies and gentlemen!

I need your help once again, today i was offered a job which is WAAAAY better than the one i`m currently in…more money, less hours and work!

My predicament is that i need to hand in (statutory) a months notice with my present company and the company that have offered me the other job, want me to start THIS COMING MONDAY!
I really want this job and my current job is totally [ZB], What would you do??

I know what i wanna do but need some guidance :open_mouth: :cry: sad, i know! PLEASE HELP!!!

It sounds like a no brained, surely you know what to do without asking :wink:

You could always do something that would merit instant dismissal, like thumping the TM :slight_smile: :wink:

Have you any hols left to offset against the notice otherwise they could sting you for wages owed if go early!!

tootman318:
Have you any hols left to offset against the notice otherwise they could sting you for wages owed if go early!!

Ive got something like 8 days left and i get paid this friday. I think i worked the first week of my month, in hand so would the 8 days cover that?

bald bloke:
It sounds like a no brained, surely you know what to do without asking :wink:

very true but i dont wanna lose any money. I dont give a toss about nowt else. :stuck_out_tongue:

most reputable companies are quite happy for you to work your notice with your present employer,ive always been asked what notice i need to give with present company and theyve always been quite happy to honour it.
i wonder how this firm would feel if there drivers started to leave with a minutes notice :unamused: ,id stop where you are and look for a decent company ,these dont sound decent to me

Stonehouse69:

tootman318:

Ive got something like 8 days left and i get paid this friday. I think i worked the first week of my month, in hand so would the 8 days cover that?

Wouldn’t like to say mate. Sticky area really. You need to ask them, trouble is the ■■■■ will hit fan then!!

another question… How would you go about giving notice? would you give a months notice and just leave friday, never to return? or…just not say anything and not go back after the weekend? or…say to the TM that its a really good opportunity for me and that i need to be starting on monday, with friday being my last day?? bearing in mind that hes a typical TM :stuck_out_tongue:

Stonehouse69:
another question… How would you go about giving notice? would you give a months notice and just leave friday, never to return? or…just not say anything and not go back after the weekend? or…say to the TM that its a really good opportunity for me and that i need to be starting on monday, with friday being my last day?? bearing in mind that hes a typical TM :stuck_out_tongue:

ive changed my mind ,you and this new company sound like a MATCH MADE IN HEAVEN

ady1:
most reputable companies are quite happy for you to work your notice with your present employer,ive always been asked what notice i need to give with present company and theyve always been quite happy to honour it.
i wonder how this firm would feel if there drivers started to leave with a minutes notice :unamused: ,id stop where you are and look for a decent company ,these dont sound decent to me

the company i will be joining is a big international company and has just gained another massive contract with another firm… i worked for them last year and it was best job yet and to get this opportunity…well lets just say that i would be dense in the head not to take it, plus its just 5 minutes walk from my house.

As for the firm i work for now, there are alot of stories going round and drivers have started jumping ship… i know what i`m doing just need to know how to go about it in the 4 days i have left :confused: :open_mouth: :smiley:

You could always ring in sick, go and work for the new company and pray that no-one sees you :smiley:

Or you could just man up, tell your boss you’re off, give him the opportunity to match the offer, then leave as planned?

toowise:
You could always ring in sick, go and work for the new company and pray that no-one sees you :smiley:

like it, but you couldnt bloody miss me! :stuck_out_tongue:

i would ask your new employer if they minded you honouring your notice,i would then ask your present employer if you could just work 2 weeks notice,by doing this it makes you look a loyal employee to the new employer and also doesnt drop you in the ■■■■ with your present employer,if they both say yes your laughing,if they both say no then start at your new job on monday,but its always good to leave a job on a high as you may never know when you might need them or a good reference,

good luck

andy

Stonehouse69:

toowise:

like it, but you couldnt bloody miss me! :stuck_out_tongue:

You are not being held prisoner, if you don’t mind burning bridges just tell them you are leaving and go. What can they do? Nothing.

Any decent company who wanted to employ you would understand the need for a notice period remember the grass is not always greener

clarkyboy:
i would ask your new employer if they minded you honouring your notice,i would then ask your present employer if you could just work 2 weeks notice,by doing this it makes you look a loyal employee to the new employer and also doesnt drop you in the [zb] with your present employer,if they both say yes your laughing,if they both say no then start at your new job on monday,but its always good to leave a job on a high as you may never know when you might need them or a good reference,

good luck

andy

Cheers for that m8. i know that new employer couldnt honour because the job needs to be filled and ive had first refusal. i`m unhappy where i am and i know that it would be a better move and job.
I think my best option is to try and get to speak to TM tomorrow, it feels wrong just going like that and not saying nowt. I dont think ADY1 thinks much of me either, now! :slight_smile:

Thanx andy

How long have you been with your current employer? If u just jack in and this new job doesn’t work out u will be up ■■■■ creek without a paddle as how are you going to explain the last however many years of work without a reference?? The grass isn’t always greener, and in my opinion if a company wants you as a driver they will honour your notice period with your other work. Sounds to me they just want a driver to start Monday no matter who it is. Sorry mate but I think you’ll make a big mistake if you jack not to mention loose your weeks pay that your owed plus 8 days holiday pay.

just speak to your boss tell him you been offered a job they want you to start x and just see if they will let you go early if you have been there a while and been a decent employee im sure he will understand and wish you well on your way who is the new job with by the way