Notice letter, what would you do?

If he’s unreliable why worry?
I wonder if he’ll be better off really?
Guess 50% better pay for 6 weeks? So ig he is without work for 3 weeks in January he’s made xero ptofit. Since he quit eill he get any benefits? If you take him back he won’t have any job security will he?
Doesn’t sound much of a plan to me.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Franglais:
Guess 50% better pay for 6 weeks? So ig he is without work for 3 weeks in January he’s made xero ptofit. Since he quit eill he get any benefits? If you take him back he won’t have any job security will he?

At a guess he is probably on £9 an hour currently if he worked for Downton so he could easily achieve that after Xmas even if he want on agency doing anything from van to artic. Loyalty does not pay bills.

adam277:

Franglais:

At a guess he is probably on £9 an hour currently if he worked for Downton so he could easily achieve that after Xmas even if he want on agency doing anything from van to artic. Loyalty does not pay bills.

If he has guaranteed work in January then, yes, he’ll be in front. What’s the chance of that though?

My guess is he has seen this great paying ‘job’ on a job site, phoned up to find it’s an agency. Wonder if it was the agency who have put this idea into his head?

They’ll be getting him to go ‘self employed’ next. :unamused:

And then won’t have anything for him in January…

There is always work in January as long as you are not picky.

adam277:
There is always work in January as long as you are not picky.

Maybe less well paid than the job he’s quitting??
Maybe he’ll win? Maybe not?
“Do ya feel lucky?”

A unreliable ok driver leaves, say thankyou and wave goodbye. Doesnt seem a bad deal, saves you sacking him and dealing with the aggro.

Is he causing you a hardship by leaving? If yes, maybe think twice about taking him back if he comes running in jan. If no, then take him back if you have no better offers when he rings. Just remember this will probably happen again.

Its a simple case of supply on demand on the run up to xmas, iirc stobrats were offering 250quid just to turn up last year a week before xmas.

The lads just trying to pay the bills.

Iv taken november and december of, to renew my licenses, finish a few courses and take a few exams.

Might ring round a few agencies just for the craic.

Speculating on this lads future plans or present needs is just that, pure speculation. Unless you know him personally it’s a pointless exercise. Perhaps he genuinely doesn’t consider that hassle v reward make it worthwhile staying, perhaps he’s got another trade under his belt that he’s going back to, perhaps he dropped 6 numbers on the lottery and doesn’t want to tell anyone.

The only certain thing is that he’ll do what he considers best for him and his family. Good luck to him I say.

the maoster:
Speculating on this lads future plans or present needs is just that, pure speculation. Unless you know him personally it’s a pointless exercise. Perhaps he genuinely doesn’t consider that hassle v reward make it worthwhile staying, perhaps he’s got another trade under his belt that he’s going back to, perhaps he dropped 6 numbers on the lottery and doesn’t want to tell anyone.

The only certain thing is that he’ll do what he considers best for him and his family. Good luck to him I say.

Exactly this, people get too involved in other peoples business, everyone’s circumstances are different, what is right for one is not always right for another, I say good luck to him and hope things work out well. A true saying is that your current job may not be your last one. Circumstances change for people and you just go with the flow.

Without speculation there won’t be any threads about automation or Brexit.
By examining the different possibilities for the future we can best make our own plans can’t we? By doing so in a public forum we get to see points of view and thoughts we wouldn’t necessarily work out ourselves.
Best of luck to him (whoever he is) and lets hope these speculations help others in a similar situation make the best choices for themselves.

No speculation Franglais. Here at TrucknetUK we pride ourselves on only dealing in cold hard facts! :wink:

UKtramp:

the maoster:

Exactly this, people get too involved in other peoples business, everyone’s circumstances are different, what is right for one is not always right for another, I say good luck to him and hope things work out well. A true saying is that your current job may not be your last one. Circumstances change for people and you just go with the flow.

As dozy 2 did you not remember what you posted already on this post, it was far from what your saying here.
There you go again Walter trying to fit in by changing your thoughts to just agree, and hope it makes you look good.
You need to have an opinion fantasy man and stick to it, your posts are riddled with lies and fantasy and your not even good enough to be able to keep up or remember what you say yourself, sad
Have a look at what you said first and then tell me I’m wrong

the maoster:
No speculation Franglais. Here at TrucknetUK we pride ourselves on only dealing in cold hard facts! :wink:

I apologise unreservedly.
To think that I could have possibly equated the cool logical analysis of any situation, as displayed by the dispassionate experts of TNUK, with mere speculation is beyond me.
Sorry.

You have to love the guy, he’s unreliable whores himself to an agency for Christmas then wants his job back !!

Then again if you’re paying low wages all you will get is the dregs, it sounds as though you have recruitment issues and you can’t afford to lose even unreliable staff.

Pay a little more, its worth it in the long run you get to retain the best men, the answer would have been “don’t call us we’ll call you”

Quantify “unreliable”
Let you down once while his kid was in hospital?
Missed an eight am booking at Lidl?
Didn’t turn up for three days and turned his phone off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Franglais:
Guess 50% better pay for 6 weeks? So ig he is without work for 3 weeks in January he’s made xero ptofit.

But he’s had to only work 6 weeks for that money, not 9 weeks so he’s sat at home doing what he wants for 3 weeks and he’s got 3 weeks less travel to work costs.

I don’t earn any more on agency over a year than I would in a permanent job but the difference is I get to sit at home more enjoying time with family and friends and having a life.

Darkside:
thanks for the replies I was only wondering…

I posted this because after 17 years this side of the counter it is the first time that I someone has done this and been so up front about it. I am sure I will see it again.

He has said he enjoys the job here. Remember the pay and conditions are good enough for him 10 months a year.

I don’t think any operator can match the figures that are offered in the run up until Christmas by agencies, and offer these for 12 months.

I know nationally we are at a position, where to be honest drivers are now interviewing the operators before they take on new positions.

So two questions…

Is the driver shortage going to spur operators to pay their drivers more in the run up to Christmas to stop this?

Does anyone on here get more on their basic wage in the run up to Christmas already?

What I am getting at is the two last points above…

By unreliable, I mean 1 out of 3 Friday’s he rings in sick because of what he does on Thursday night.

The lad, like most of us, is just trying to earn as much money as possible for him and his family.

Darkside:
By unreliable, I mean 1 out of 3 Friday’s he rings in sick because of what he does on Thursday night.

In that case its “bye bye and grow the hell up as you got responsibilities to your family which dont include swapping jobs on a whim chasing fantasy paycheques and skipping days because you got ■■■■■■■■

Might sound harsh but people with kids who dont realise they cant treat this as skipping school really get my back up and this will hopefully be a wakeup call albeit with a bump.

Don’t underestimate the power of his otherhalf when the money runs short and he has to work in a crap job for a living.

Remember you’re running a business not a charity and have a responsibility to you, your other employers and clients.

Oh when he comes back after a week of not getting the money i still would give someone else a chance.

Will go get the flameproof suit now. :smiley:

So a driver shows no loyalty to his firm, so what?
It makes a nice change from vice versa, and if it is Downtons they are hardly renowned for mollycoddling their drivers are they. :unamused:
It’s a mercenary world now is transport, you are just an arse on a seat.
So if the lad has found a few months work at premium rate he either goes for it or shows some misguided loyalty to a firm that basically doesn’t give a ■■■■ about him, and pays a third less money.
Good on him.

robroy:
So a driver shows no loyalty to his firm, so what?
It makes a nice change from vice versa, and if it is Downtons they are hardly renowned for mollycoddling their drivers are they. :unamused:
It’s a mercenary world now is transport, you are just an arse on a seat.
So if the lad has found a few months work at premium rate he either goes for it or shows some misguided loyalty to a firm that basically doesn’t give a [zb] about him, and pays a third less money.
Good on him.

I am none to disagree with this.