What do others think?

I’ve been in my current job for 8mths - I know, me!! - and I went on holiday a couple of weeks back.

I landed on Thursday and got a phone call to go and see the boss on Friday.

Whilst I’ve been away, the company has been restructured, so we’ve lost a truck at our depot - Trafford Park.

Now, he was very good, we also have another depot in Golborne near Warrington, so he’s made the lad there redundant (poor lad only been there 6 weeks) and given me his job.

But, instead of 11 miles each way, it’s now 33 miles each way. Instead of finishing at 9.30pm I’ll be finishing between 2 and 3 am. All this for no extra money.

I’ve told him that I’m not interested, but he’s trying to get me to stay, but there’s no money in the kitty to sweeten the deal - our night lads are on 2 grand a year more, but this shift doesn’t come under nights■■? :open_mouth:
I think I should either get travel money to go to different depot, or at least be put on night rate - 2 grand a year is pretty much the difference in fuel anyway

So, my choices are - and have to be made today
1: be the 1 made redundant and job hunt like mad
2: take the job until I find something better - boss is 100% aware that I’d be looking

I’d not get any redundancy pay due to only being there 8mths, but I still think option 1 is the best.
Over to you guys?

That’s a tough one, ethically I can see your point with going with option 1, however I hate to say it, but things aren’t great right now and I would say go with option 2, as you know, jobs are always easier to get when you are working, I think its something to do with the fact employers think if you are out of work you are not as good a candidate as someone who is working, which is stupid but it seems to be the way it is.

Option 2, leave as soon as possible, but don’t burn your Bridges. Try to get another position near to where you live (saves on commuting costs)
I wouldn’t leave full time employment to work for an Agency, but it’s something to think about if it goes ■■■■ Up.

I am with the other guys, go option 2.
Its not nice for the other guy, but he isn’t going to pay your bills if you struggle to find work.
I do admire the fact you are thinking about the other lad, but at the end of the day you have to do whats best for you and yours

Take the job and start hunting. Hopefully when they laid off the other guy they gave him the option to return if he is available.

No 1,it’s not right and I wouldn’t feelright stepping into that other lads shoes,just doesn’t sit right with me at all

From what you say he has changed the terms of your contract. Therefore are you not entitled to 90 days notice of this? Think you may just have a case here. Could be wrong. See what some of the others on here think.

Paul

snowstorm:
From what you say he has changed the terms of your contract. Therefore are you not entitled to 90 days notice of this? Think you may just have a case here. Could be wrong. See what some of the others on here think.

Paul

I know what you’re saying, but basically the way I see it, it’s my truck that’s gone, so it’s me that’s been made redundant, the boss has then ‘created’ a position for me by putting the other lad on notice instead of me.

So, if I wanted to stay in work for this firm, it’s a case of ‘do not rock the boat’ because basically I’d be down the road anyway, and I’d rather leave on my terms for once - see my history on here to understand that better.

I agree and appreciate most of the posts on here, but I’ve decided not to take it and let the other lad keep his job.

I think I’ll be able to sort something else, got a few leads and with experience and a few tickets under my belt, I definitely stand a better chance than a newbie.

It’s not a job I’d have applied for or a job I want to do, so there’s no point in another lad losing his job and then me leaving a week later.

Admirable and hope you get sorted ASAP.

The only difference between 1 and 2 is that you will still earn money while you look else where. Got to be number 2.

waynedl:
I agree and appreciate most of the posts on here, but I’ve decided not to take it and let the other lad keep his job.

I think I’ll be able to sort something else, got a few leads and with experience and a few tickets under my belt, I definitely stand a better chance than a newbie.

It’s not a job I’d have applied for or a job I want to do, so there’s no point in another lad losing his job and then me leaving a week later.

young man, I salute you

green456:

waynedl:

young man, I salute you

Me too. Refreshing to see in this age of the selfish me first mentality. Well done.

waynedl:

I hope any employers who read this forum spot this, take note of your exceptional attitude and get in touch. All the best wishes for another job quickly.

Can you be sure that the lad won’t still get made redundant anyway? The boss just may have decided after 6 weeks he doesn’t like the cut of his jib.

th2013:

waynedl:

I hope any employers who read this forum spot this, take note of your exceptional attitude and get in touch. All the best wishes for another job quickly.

This ^^^^^^

Well done Wayne and good luck for the future sir.

Good on you Wayne
maybe not the wisest decision but the most decent.
Hope it doesn’t come back to bite you

Thanks guys, some really nice comments there, but remember, my decision wasn’t 100% selfless, I didn’t want the job offered, he did.

Own Account Driver:
Can you be sure that the lad won’t still get made redundant anyway? The boss just may have decided after 6 weeks he doesn’t like the cut of his jib.

Went in to see the boss today, nice face to face chat, the other lad is going to keep his job - he’s a hard worker, made the odd mistake, but he’s only had is licence a few months, no major mistakes so he’ll be fine.
It’s a good company to start off with, they are understanding and know that sometimes ■■■■ happens and mistakes can be made and tools can get damaged or broken. Don’t think he’ll go far wrong there, maybe get a year or 2 under his belt, maybe there till he retires.

Got an interview at 9am tomorrow, and some work lined up after the interview, so things looking very positive already :grimacing:

good luck wayne, i’d have done the same as you. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: