Northwest Trucks

Looks like it’s an Undertakers shop.

Sandy Lane Reddish, before Lancashire Hill roundabout in '73.

Sandy Lane Reddish, Sept '73, before Lancashire Hill roundabout..png

Sandy Lane,  Trumix Foden, July '74.png

Belmont Way, Heaton Norris, 1972..png

Macclesfield Rd behind the Rising Sun pub, 1971.png

TIPIT:
Some of Allinson’s fleet in their yard on Whitehill Ind Est, Reddish, taken in Feb '76.1

Back end of one of their D750’s passing through Northenden in '67.0

Allinson Stone Whitehill Ind Est had a tidy fleet of Fodens. Tried searching for Allinsons but cannot find their web site, or are they still trading?
I used to deliver bread early to mid 1960s from Mothers Pride Old Trafford 6 days a week to the Peak District and cannot remember how many times I was stuck behind overloaded tippers going up hills and tried to dodge them going down as many had hot break syndrome. Sam Longson Chapel en le Frith (wonder any relative of the shop in photo accident) had a large fleet of tippers and powder tanks and used to see lots of their drivers including Arden quarries tippers drivers having their liquid lunch in the Rising Sun Pub. I remember the Rising Sun did fantastic meals.
There was a pub on the left heading towards Disley before High Lane had many tipper drivers stopped there. Late 1960s Barbara Castle had an impact on drinking and driving and noticed a big decline in lorry drivers stopping to drink.
The photos of Mersey Square would have been taken prior to the 1967 tragic Plane Crash.
Regards Kev

Scott’s 4x2 tractor unit Reg No XBU 66 was an AEC Mercury 7.7 with a five speed gear box which had a top speed of 43 mph.

It is here seen parked on Sherwood Street Oldham in the late 1960s loaded with Martini glass bottles from the United Glass factory at St Helens.

The single axle 28 foot trailer was manufactured locally by Boden Trailers of Higginshaw who in later years would become ‘Crane Fruehauf’.

Werneth Ring Mill in the background has changed very little since this photograph was taken and is still there today.

One of many images on the my new ‘Scotts of Oldham’ Facebook page… facebook.com/groups/2171102742947014/

Don’t wish to seem pedantic or over critical because I’m a great admirer of the material you post. But…the AEC Mercury range never used the 7.7 litre engine. They had AEC’s AV470 engine, which was a very different design in many features to the pre-WW2 designed AEC 7.7 engine. It has been a common error for many years to use 7.7 as the term for the 470, which was in fact closer to 7.7 litres swept volume at 7.68 litres than the pre-War “7.7” which was 7.58 litres.

AEC 7.7 litre engine range, introduced in 1934, dry liner, 105mm bore x 146mm stroke, bhp 95 - 115 @ 1800 rpm

AEC AV470 engine range, introduced in 1953, wet liner, 112mm bore x 130mm stroke, bhp 105 - 140, 1800 to 2400 rpm

Quite right glad to see someone knows his AECs and not what someone has told them :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Lance Biscomb:
Quite right glad to see someone knows his AECs and not what someone has told them :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Okay I am pedantic :blush: :blush: :blush:

gingerfold:

Lance Biscomb:

Okay I am pedantic :blush: :blush: :blush:

So “GF” which AEC engine did Guy Motors in their Warrior and warrior Light 8 Chassis ? IIRC they were always referred to as 7:7’s Cheers Dennis.

I have to admit that we always called the Mercury engine “a 7.7” simply because they were around 7.7 litres in volume. I was just a habit that drivers and fitters couldn’t seem to get out of! And the AV series was, indeed the engine that went in to the “Light” vehicles produced by Guy Motors. Not to be confused with the engine commonly referred to as a “240” which was fitted to 40-ish of Guy’s later offerings!!!

Couldn’t resist, Dennis!

Retired Old ■■■■:
I have to admit that we always called the Mercury engine “a 7.7” simply because they were around 7.7 litres in volume. I was just a habit that drivers and fitters couldn’t seem to get out of! And the AV series was, indeed the engine that went in to the “Light” vehicles produced by Guy Motors. Not to be confused with the engine commonly referred to as a “240” which was fitted to 40-ish of Guy’s later offerings!!!

Couldn’t resist, Dennis!

+10 :smiley:

(the “7.7” was phased out when the AV470 7.7 was introduced. There was also a smaller bore AV410 available and 4-cylinder versions of both. And just to confuse everyone even more, including myself, the AV470 was a development of a pre-WW2 AEC “6.6” litre engine)

Lance Biscomb:

That ‘someone’ who told me was actually one of the owners of Scott’s back in the day. :unamused:

Well if he is anything like Tom Ridings recollection of his fleet he should know

Retired Old ■■■■:

Couldn’t resist, Dennis!

And you can ■■■■ right off Casey ! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Dennis.

^^ :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

BRS Foden from Manchester.

Click on page twice.

DEANB:

What a fantastic shot Dean taken on the A62 heading up the hill out of Waterhead towards Austerlands.

Lived 100 yards away behind the photographer as a child wish i had £1 for every-time i have walked up and down that hill to catch the bus at the terminus at the bottom.

Briliant. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Retired Old ■■■■:

Couldn’t resist, Dennis!

Well said ROF,enjoy every chance to “get one in”!

David

Just to let him know we’re still here!!! :wink:

Retired Old ■■■■:
Just to let him know we’re still here!!! :wink:

Indeed ROF,and hopefully we’ll be here routing for the truth :open_mouth: for a lot longer :laughing: :laughing:

David

moomooland:

DEANB:

What a fantastic shot Dean taken on the A62 heading up the hill out of Waterhead towards Austerlands.

Lived 100 yards away behind the photographer as a child wish i had £1 for every-time i have walked up and down that hill to catch the bus at the terminus at the bottom.

Briliant. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I have travelled your road many times before the M62 and remember how busy it was with David Browns wagons day and night never mind the Mill wagons and general hauliers and all seemed to congregate at Motorman’s Cafe. Many a time I have gone hungry because the lay by was full and wagons parked on the road on the steep hill.
Going off subject but nearly same part of the hemisphere late 1960s or early 1970s I picked up a return load of metal cages from ■■■■■■■■ diesels Darlington. I had to deliver to Impregnation services that I remember was in an old mill think it was Stalybridge. I have looked them up and address is Impregnation Services Ltd Unit 1, Cowhill Industrial Estate, Cowhill Lane, Ashton under Lyne, Lancashire, OL6 6HH
About the same time of year I did similar job for Gardeners Monton Eccles and remember their dispatch telling me Impregnation services were responsible for their engines not ceasing up so easily and you can virtually run the engine without oil.
Kev

Impregnation Services were at one time based in Staylbridge until it moved to Ashton U Lyne in 1999 into what was at one time the old tram depot and then it became the depot for the council refuge wagons during the 50s/60s.The business is now owned by Justin & Rachael Benson who took it over in 2008 I do regular small van delivery work for them myself these days and have done for the past 5 years.

ISL Cowhill Lane.jpg