Northwest Trucks

B.Wadsworth:
Hi, Folks , Satinax ring a bell the taken over by Modo ,most of the drivers in our area worked for them some many times , just a bit useless info Cheers Barry

Thanks for that where was they based?

gingerfold:
!960s view of Trinity Street, Bolton, at its junction with Newport Street, where the bus is coming from. The photo was taken from the offices of Hick Hargreaves in Crook Street. A J&A Smith of Maddiston Leyland Comet (I think, but the wheelbase might make it a Beaver) artic is prominent. Since the photo was taken the only constant is the redundant Trinity Church. The road and junctions have been completely re-planned and re-aligned. The large Railway Hotel (behind the bus) next to the station has been demolished, the station frontage has been rebuilt. The scene today is totally different.

What an evocative picture “gingerfold”,and with a classic SoM outfit centre stage.

Well found and thank you.

David

gingerfold:
Yes Robert, the bus does look odd, and it will look even odder in a second when the car crashes into the side of it. :open_mouth: I’ll look in my Bolton Corporation Transport books as I don’t recall any policy of re-bodies at Bolton. It was a highly individual municipal fleet, for example it was the first to specify Leyland PD2 variants with air brakes (1948 batch IIRC) and also synchromesh gearboxes.

Synchromesh in 2nd, 3rd and 4th to be precise! Yes, thanks, it’ll be interesting to see if that was a re-bodied bus! Robert
[/quote]
Hello again Robert. As I thought Bolton Transport didn’t pursue a bus re-body policy, so the bus in the photo was built with a long rear overhang. It is a Leyland PD3/4 with East Lancashire Coachbuilders front entrance / front staircase body. The first buses with this design that Bolton bought and the first ones entered service in 1959. I remember them well, they were frequently used on the Number 52 Bolton to Bury route, which served the district where I grew up. Incidentally Bury had some as well but with a bellows type folding door. Bury Corporation often followed Bolton’s policy, the air braked PD2/4 was also used by Bury, and it’s claimed that Bolton and Bury were the only two municipal fleets to purchase that variant of a PD2.
[/quote]
Cheers Graham, I knew you’d come up trumps! :smiley: Robert

Hi, Folks , The Satanix and Modo had a factory on the old air field at Hawarden nr Chester they had a few units on the site ,hope that helps folks , Cheers Barry

A busy scene in the center of Manchester in 1964 during road alterations near Victoria Station, the CIS building is on the right.

In the queue is a Dodge four wheeler operated by T Rowley (Transport} Ltd followed by a Thames Trader with a Scammell Scarab
bringing up the rear.

moomooland:
0A busy scene in the center of Manchester in 1964 during road alterations near Victoria Station, the CIS building is on the right.

In the queue is a Dodge four wheeler operated by T Rowley (Transport} Ltd followed by a Thames Trader with a Scammell Scarab
bringing up the rear.

Another good photo of bygone years.
Rowleys had a large fleet and seem to be round every corner like Beatties. Noticed the Thames Traders and driven a couple of that era and found road handling was iffy and brakes a bit sharp, but some drivers thought they were great. I preferred the Thames 4D. Baxendales supplied most of the building materials for Manchester and believe lead for water pipes from stop tap to drinking water taps. Like photo of Handcart.Cheers Kev

Great photo, love the early FB Victor they must have been quite a popular car back in the day as they do appear quite often in various 60s pictures.

Dave…

dave docwra:
Great photo, love the early FB Victor they must have been quite a popular car back in the day as they do appear quite often in various 60s pictures. Dave…

Great selection of old British cars in this shot taken on Alexandra Road Hulme Manchester in 1965 including, you’ve guessed it, a FB Victor :smiley:

Click on picture twice for close up view.

moomooland:

dave docwra:
Great photo, love the early FB Victor they must have been quite a popular car back in the day as they do appear quite often in various 60s pictures. Dave…

Great selection of old British cars in this shot taken on Alexandra Road Hulme Manchester in 1965 including, you’ve guessed it, a FB Victor :smiley:

Click on picture twice for close up view.

The lorry most probably delivering fruit and veg looks like a prototype curtain sidder! The Bedford van with sliding doors shows how safety conscious vehicle designers were in them days. I think the best van for delivery drivers were the threepenny bit cab BMC FG series. We used to go shopping on Alec Road early 1950s and on a Saturday the pavements were full with goods for sale. Photo attached is 1960 but this snap could have been taken mid week and less traffic.
Check Google streets and St Marys Church in the foreground is the only original building left and no shops in sight.
Cheers KEV

Alec rd 1960.jpg

kevmorrow:
. I think the best van for delivery drivers were the threepenny bit cab BMC FG series. Cheers KEV

Here’s one pictured in 1965 about to pull out of Manley Road onto Whithington Road in Whalley Range Manchester.

Thanks for photo of Austin FG on Manley Road.
I had been in Manchester Liners many times delivering machinery but never moved their containers. Was it Preistners Carrington and Stevens Macclesfield who were contracted to move Manchester liners containers. One time waiting to deliver I was invited on to one of Manchester Liners Ships and given a meal fit for a King and a glass of expensive wine.
Cheers KEV

2017-06-07%2017.56.01[1].jpg

Manchester Liners 2.jpg

Manchester%20Liners[1].jpg

kevmorrow:
Was it Preistners Carrington and Stevens Macclesfield who were contracted to move Manchester liners containers. Cheers KEV

They were just two amongst many firms that hauled for Manchester Liners, Austin Wilkinson being another.
You can see some of their half size containers in this picture taken in Austin Wilkinsons yard at Weaste.

Thanks for the Stevo’s photos, Kev. Good job they are b&w as the “Pink Paraffin” livery of the time was about the worst I’ve ever seen!

moomooland:

kevmorrow:
Was it Preistners Carrington and Stevens Macclesfield who were contracted to move Manchester liners containers. Cheers KEV

They were just two amongst many firms that hauled for Manchester Liners, Austin Wilkinson being another.
You can see some of their half size containers in this picture taken in Austin Wilkinsons yard at Weaste.

Austin Wilkinson , great to see a long established company still in business , probably speaks volumes about how the company is run and managed .

Here’s a few shots of British Rail Scammell Scarabs out and about around Manchester in the 1960’s

Ashton Road

Oldham Road goods depot.

Cross Street Manchester.

London Road Manchester.

London Road junction with Fairfield Street.

Chorlton on Medlock Upper Brook Street

moomooland:
Here’s a few shots of British Rail Scammell Scarabs out and about around Manchester in the 1960’s

5Ashton Road

4Oldham Road goods depot.

3Cross Street Manchester.

2London Road Manchester.

1 London Road junction with Fairfield Street.

0Chorlton on Medlock Upper Brook Street

Another fine selection of nostagia.
Not certain but were some Scarabs two strokes and nippy. A mate of mine went to work for BRS Whitecity Old Trafford about 1965 and drove a Deisel Scarab but remarked two strokes were better for town work. About late 1960s I was loading long lenths of steel from British Rail yard at Rotherhan or Sheffield and they had automatic coupling trombone trailers. They had a mixture of dinky low tonnage Ford Custom cabs and a few Scarabs. I am not sure if these vehicles went on the road but they were agile to reverse into confined spaces.
Cheers Kev

moomooland:
3Cross Street Manchester.

And another two FB Victors.

Dave…

Some of Allinson’s fleet in their yard on Whitehill Ind Est, Reddish, taken in Feb '76.
Allinson's yard Whitehill Ind Est, Feb '76.png

Back end of one of their D750’s passing through Northenden in '67.
Allinson's D750 in Northenden, July 1967..png

A6 passing Mersey Square in the early 60s.png
A6 passing Mersey Square in 1965, lorries heading towards Hazel Grove..png

May '74 Lancashire Hill roundabout Reddish being built,(it looks like one of Allinson’s Reivers tipping.)

Sandy Lane, Tipper,, May '74..png

Sandy Lane, May '74.png