Northwest Trucks

Manchester Liners.

1975 manchesterliners.PNG

DEANB:
Manchester Liners.

Preistners from Carrington also had a contract moving containers from Manchester Liners at Salford docks. When I ran out of hours I had many lifts off Preistner drivers back to their yard at Carrington as I lived a mile down the road at Flixton late 1960s early 70s
Regards Kev

moomooland:

ramone:
Nuttall’s had a Leyland Retriever a 6 wheeler A series and i think a couple of 8 wheeler B Series with the 180 Gardner in .They loaded reels of paper 2 high and went up the big hill out of Holcombe at a very sedate pace

0This ‘C’ Series ERF eight wheeler Reg No A655 JHD, registered new on the 1st of November 1983, was owned by Richard Nuttall & Sons Ltd of Edenfield who operated it on contract to Trinity Paper Mill of Ramsbottom.
Powered by a Gardner 6LXCT 230 turbo engine, and in Trinity Mill livery, it is pictured here while unloading bales of recycled cardboard at the now long gone Mondi Paper Mill in Ramsbottom.
It was later sold on to a fairground operator who in later years had an ‘E’ Series cab fitted.

I used to do the same work in the yrs 80s/2001 when i worked for sheldons tpt [now defunt] and harveys tpt.Everything loaded went up that hill at a sedate rate :smiley: :smiley:

Do you remember B.Holmes waste paper in there Dave they had a green F86 then a new Marathon?

ramone:
Do you remember B.Holmes waste paper in there Dave they had a green F86 then a new Marathon?

The name does ring a bell ramone but been ret 18yrs and the old memorys not good.

dafdave:

ramone:

The name does ring a bell ramone but been ret 18yrs and the old memorys not good.

They were in there everyday from the mid 70s they had an old Albion 4 wheeler then an ex H.Baker Mandator then the F86s then a brand new Marathon my dad left after that but they had a Roadtrain and lastly a double drive Seddon Atki bringing bales in on flat trailers

629BCBD7-056B-4BDA-A9AC-B7BAD8702449.gif

Frank Meacher Rossendale.

D’ya think that Golf was his first car? If I was the driver of the Scammell (it’s not really a Leyland - apart from the cab), I would’ve just dabbed the brakes to wake the little bugger up…

John McGill.

AF0607AB-20E6-47CE-A647-FC0B93E945F2.jpeg

Princess Parkway 1968.jpg A John Ancliff Leyland Octopus tanker heads down Princess Parkway towards Manchester in 1968.

Some photos sent to me by J-P aka Zetor Pilot when he worked for Wilsons plus a Colin Knapp,a NA3T photo and one taken on the M1 near Chesterfield,Coalite plant int distance…
I remember them when they were at both Stockport and Ardwick and used to pass them regular on Woodhead early in a morning when I were heading back to Sheffield on nights.They did a lot of East Anglia work.

Wilsons3small.jpg

Wilsons1small.jpg

wilson6.jpg

wilson5.jpg

wilson2.jpg

wilson1.jpg

moomooland:
Frank Meacher Rossendale.

Looks like ex Tarmac.Amberhill that ran out of Holme Hall Quarry Stainton,had ex Tarmac ones.B317 GRR

Does anyone remember the old Spar depot at Middleton.
As you can see they ran a fleet of mainly Seddon rigids and artics but cant for the life of me remember who the contractor was who ran them.

moomooland:
0Does anyone remember the old Spar depot at Middleton.
As you can see they ran a fleet of mainly Seddon rigids and artics but cant for the life of me remember who the contractor was who ran them.

Spar work on a regional franchise basis with regional distribution centres operated by the franchisee for that area. In the North West it’s James Hall of Preston, in the West Midlands it’s A. F. Blakemore of Walsall. Halls and Blakemores then re-franchise to the Spar branded local shop in their particular geographical area. Whether James Hall or Blakemore operate their own distribution fleet, or it is sub-contracted out, I wouldn’t know. I deliver frozen into James Hall at Preston almost daily, and I think that they also distribute for Booths Supermarkets, some of the PoDs can be for Booths.

Abrams advert from Manchester.(click on page twice)

gingerfold:
Spar work on a regional franchise basis with regional distribution centers operated by the franchisee for that area. In the North West it’s James Hall of Preston, in the West Midlands it’s A. F. Blakemore of Walsall. Halls and Blakemores

This depot was on Townkey Street in Middleton which is still there today and is now occupied by Geometric Furniture.
The company’s name is on the cab doors but cant make it out, sure it began with a W and ended in Ltd.

moomooland:

gingerfold:
Spar work on a regional franchise basis with regional distribution centers operated by the franchisee for that area. In the North West it’s James Hall of Preston, in the West Midlands it’s A. F. Blakemore of Walsall. Halls and Blakemores

0This depot was on Townkey Street in Middleton which is still there today and is now occupied by Geometric Furniture.
The company’s name is on the cab doors but cant make it out, sure it began with a W and ended in Ltd.

Spar a big concern in Europe as well,they use a lot of wagon and drags for deliveries,their trailers can be seen dropped all over the place. I don’t know who the dedicated hauliers are in the different countries though.

Chris Webb:

moomooland:

gingerfold:

This depot was on Townkey Street in Middleton which is still there today and is now occupied by Geometric Furniture.

Spar a big concern in Europe as well,they use a lot of wagon and drags for deliveries,their trailers can be seen dropped all over the place. I don’t know who the dedicated hauliers are in the different countries though.

My local convenience shop re-branded from Spar to another major brand about 12 months ago. I quite liked the product quality of Spar and the new branding was nowhere near as good, so I asked the manager why they had changed. He said his new supplier didn’t charge for deliveries whereas Spar did charge. Apparently I wasn’t the only customer to complain about the quality on sale. I don’t even go in there now for my daily newspaper.

The convenience brand that particular outlet now carries is owned by the cash and carry company that has just purchased the Bargain Booze outlets from the administrator.

And Spar is a Dutch organisation, started in 1932.

From James Hall website