Northwest Trucks

largebloke1969:
Wow remember that motor , passed my test in one of them but a v reg , that one was driven by a lad called Steve who did a lot of ■■■■■■■ at the time I started in 86 , thanks for the pic , real blast from the past :smiley:

Span Express operated out of the old Sivewright building on Richard Street which backed onto the old canal basin, became part of Wilkinson Transport.

In the early 80’s I worked for R. Murphy and Sons based in the old workshops for the Wilkinson Transport group, on Chester Street, before Wilkinsons moved into a purpose built complex on Chichester Street which is now a depot for Dascher.

Friday nights some of us used to try a pint or two in the Navigation on Drake Street and a few of the Span lads also used this pub but I cannot remember any names.

matamoros:

largebloke1969:
Wow remember that motor , passed my test in one of them but a v reg , that one was driven by a lad called Steve who did a lot of ■■■■■■■ at the time I started in 86 , thanks for the pic , real blast from the past :smiley:

Span Express operated out of the old Sivewright building on Richard Street which backed onto the old canal basin, became part of Wilkinson Transport.

In the early 80’s I worked for R. Murphy and Sons based in the old workshops for the Wilkinson Transport group, on Chester Street, before Wilkinsons moved into a purpose built complex on Chichester Street which is now a depot for Dascher.

Friday nights some of us used to try a pint or two in the Navigation on Drake Street and a few of the Span lads also used this pub but I cannot remember any names.

I worked for an Irish haulage company Williames Transport Group and we used to move SPANS Freight North and Southern Ireland by road and any air cargo via Williames Airfreight. Correct all ex Wilkinson’s parcels staff. Name and faces I remember was Charlie originally from the West Indies would have been in his middle 50s approx 1975. I am sure he ran the admin side at Span with an older chap with back problems and liked to be called MR?. He had told us he came back from Australia to start up the company but we were told he had an extended holiday with his redundancy money from Wilkinson’s Parcels. Warehouse staff and drivers were all young and would now be in their mid 60s remember they were all slim build. I recall they had a contract with Gillette shaving products. Regards Kev

Remember them trailers of Gillette , mostly to the back doors and all hand balled off onto pallets :open_mouth: , I started in March 86 and they hadn’t been at Haslingden for long .
Some of the names I remember are Alan Jackson who was a ringer for bobby ball , bob Marshall , Keith Howarth , Andy and Pete butterworth , Glynn Wright , steve andrews , that’s just off the top of my head, all good lads , money wasn’t great but the crack was good , some great times were had , I’d love to go back to them times

Australian based company Wastedrive ran a fleet of 10 of these Gardner powered Foden Haulmaster eight wheelers from 1981 to 1987 transporting household waste on behalf of Oldham Council .

They ran between Arkwright Street Oldham to the landfill site at Stanworth Brow near Chorley, where this picture was taken.

Each Foden did four trips a day between Oldham and Chorley dropping their loaded containers on stands which were then picked up by a six wheeler Foden Haulmaster shunter fitted with tipping equipment which then emptied each container in to the landfill site at Stanworth Brow.

Northstore ERF

northstorea.PNG

DAF-001.jpgGeorge Hamer of Clitheroe

170 NT26  Harrisons Transport  Brickmakers layby 5 78-001.jpgHarrisons Transport of Holmes
Photograph courtesy of Mike Tebbutt.

ERF dealer Perris & Kearon from Liverpool.

DEANB:

Hi Dean, Your ERF advert brought back childhood memories to me. In the mid 1950s, me and Mam and Dad and 3 brothers
lived in a prefab in the Belle Vale area of Liverpool, which was on the outskirts of Liverpool on the way to Widnes.
Very often around tea time on a Friday, 2 Scammell artic tankers of Thomas Allen of Stanford-Le-Hope would arrive, and
park up near our house for the weekend. The drivers were 2 brothers who we didn’t see very often because they worked
away all week. At a time when few people had cars, we thought that they were very rich, because both of them had big
American cars, one of them was a “Lincoln Zephyr”. Kind Regards, Ray.

Ray Smyth:

DEANB:

Hi Dean, Your ERF advert brought back childhood memories to me. In the mid 1950s, me and Mam and Dad and 3 brothers
lived in a prefab in the Belle Vale area of Liverpool, which was on the outskirts of Liverpool on the way to Widnes.
Very often around tea time on a Friday, 2 Scammell artic tankers of Thomas Allen of Stanford-Le-Hope would arrive, and
park up near our house for the weekend. The drivers were 2 brothers who we didn’t see very often because they worked
away all week. At a time when few people had cars, we thought that they were very rich, because both of them had big
American cars, one of them was a “Lincoln Zephyr”. Kind Regards, Ray.

Happy days Ray ! :wink:

Heres another one you may remember Ray.

1974 wilson duke liverpool posted northwest trucks ppg.PNG

Hi Dean, I remember Wilson-Duke lorries from probably the 1970s onward. It brings to mind an old transport company
from Bootle called Thomas Wilson Transport. In a couple of ways, they were similar to Jarvis Robinson Transport from
Canal Street, Bootle. Thomas Wilson lorries were Leyland Beaver flat rigids with drawbar trailers, and carried coldstore
beef, probably from Ireland in 20ft insulated containers. Their lorries were deep maroon in colour, similar to Kirkdale
Haulage of Liverpool. With regard to the “Duke” name, Dukes of Portadown and elsewhere carried a lot of “Hanging Beef”
for many years, so it makes me think that perhaps Thomas Wilson became part of Dukes. Someone will know. Regards, Ray.

moomooland:
1George Hamer of Clitheroe

0Harrisons Transport of Holmes
Photograph courtesy of Mike Tebbutt.

That Daf 8 legger looks a nice motor.

David

That DAF met with a untimely end, In the 80s Hamers had a garage fire, which gutted the garage, office and I think 2 wagons which where both loaded with Lard or Fat blocks, remember watching the fire and the melted fat running down Eshton Terrace.

Richard Nuttall & Sons Ltd of Edenfield

Sudlows Carriers from Denton,Manchester. (1974)

Click on page once to read.

1974 sudlows manchester foden pnw ppg.PNG

moomooland:
0Richard Nuttall & Sons Ltd of Edenfield

I remember little Dave i think his name was with a B Series 8 wheeler day cab he loaded reels out and brought bales in to Trinity Paper Mills at Holcombe Nuttalls had a Leyland Retriever a 6 wheeler A series and i think a coiple of 8 wheeler B aeries with the 180 Gardner in .They loaded reels of paper 2 high and went up the big hill out of Holcombe at a very sedate pace

ramone:
Nuttall’s had a Leyland Retriever a 6 wheeler A series and i think a couple of 8 wheeler B Series with the 180 Gardner in .They loaded reels of paper 2 high and went up the big hill out of Holcombe at a very sedate pace

This ‘C’ Series ERF eight wheeler Reg No A655 JHD, registered new on the 1st of November 1983, was owned by Richard Nuttall & Sons Ltd of Edenfield who operated it on contract to Trinity Paper Mill of Ramsbottom.