Northwest Trucks

The Spar shops in N.Derbyshire were re-branded as Onestop which I believe is owned by Tesco . Spar were in financial trouble a couple of ears ago and downsized drastically . The Scottish Spar shops weren’t affected and nothing has changed up there .

Scammell Crusader Reg No XNE 437L operated by M & M Storage and Distribution Manchester.

Kempston:

I think that may be an ex Sidac motor ? Cheers Bewick.

Pictured here heading down Regent Road in Liverpool Aaron Henshall of Prescot operated this Atkinson Defender Reg No 788 WTE.

Blackburn Parcels ran about 20 vans, Austins like the one in the picture, and some ex military Bedford’s. They ran a parcel service to the likes of Manchester and Yorkshire but were nationalised in 1948 after which time they ran as part of BRS Parcels,

moomooland:
0Blackburn Parcels ran about 20 vans, Austins like the one in the picture, and some ex military Bedford’s. They ran a parcel service to the likes of Manchester and Yorkshire but were nationalised in 1948 after which time they ran as part of BRS Parcels,

Hiya,
Anyone remember another similar smalls outfit just up the road from these
and about a similar sized outfit was, it Darwen Dispatch ?.
thanks harry, long retired.

Beck Scammell Broken down-001.jpgEdward Beck & Son Ltd Scammell Highwayman Reg No WJA 131 is seen here hauling a brand new Caterpillar bulldozer.
Unfortunately it has broken down at a T junction at the top of a steep hill somewhere in Lancashire resulting in a bit of drama for the local residents.
The Ford Anglia police car is Lancashire registered so that narrows it down quite considerably.

If you recognise the location could you please let me know.
Click on image for full wide screen version.

My Edward Beck & Son Ltd website

moomooland:
Edward Beck & Son Ltd Scammell Highwayman Reg No WJA 131 is seen here hauling a brand new Caterpillar bulldozer.
Unfortunately it has broken down at a T junction at the top of a steep hill somewhere in Lancashire resulting in a bit of drama for the local residents.
The Ford Anglia police car is Lancashire registered so that narrows it down quite considerably.

Nice pic Paul, looks like a scene from heartbeat with the Anglia police car !! :laughing: :laughing:

J & R Higginbotham of Stalybridge,near Manchester.

foden nr manchester 1975.PNG

Finally found out who the firm was who did the Spar distribution out of Townkey Street in Middleton.

It was Wright and Green Ltd, anyone remember them?

moomooland:
0Finally found out who the firm was who did the Spar distribution out of Townkey Street in Middleton.

Yes I delivered to them many times. In no order some food companies I remember.
Can you remmember SPD (speedy prompt delivery) White Bedford TKs. They called to most corner shops before supermarkets. Were they Higher Broughton area
Vimto at Nicholls Ayres Road Old Trafford moved Wythenshawe
Duerrs Jam Ayres Road
Cheshire Sterilised Milk lorries. Lancashire Hill Stockport
LHD Lancashire Hygenic dairies. Think they were based Farnworth area
Kraft cheese vans Ford 4D Thames
Brooke Bond tea chain driven vans from Trafford Park.
Used call to Hanburys depot at Irlam of the Heights.
Redmonds at Burnley
Cox annd Radcliffe near Pomona dock merged with Antrobus and Blackshaw Croceries fats and edible oils
Seymore Meads
Simpsons tinned pies Urmston and Simpsons Sausage and Pork chops Hazel Grove
Bread companies
Mothers Pride Old Trafford.
Graigs Pantry retail door delivery changed name to Enterprise Blue vans
Rolands retail home delivery Bread Sharston
Almonds Sharston Wythenshawe
Champion Bread Stockport
Sharrocks TipTop Lincoln Longsight
Sharrocks Farnworth
Prices Bread Ardwick
Duncan and Fosters All Saints Manchester
Robinsons Bread cakes All saints
Warburtons Bolton
Harveys Wigan
Rathbones Wigan
Guests Model Bakery Leigh
Wonderloaf Fitswarren Street Salford
Royals Bread Salford
Ben Worsleys (Vegit) Darwen
Forget name but part of Sunblest at Littleborough
Cheers kev

moomooland:
0Finally found out who the firm was who did the Spar distribution out of Townkey Street in Middleton.

Yes, I remember them. I think they had two or three depots in Manchester before they moved to Middleton. Remember as a kid I would ride in the lorry with 10 or 11 drops of Acdo soap powder around the Manchester and district wholesalers. One of them, cannot remember which, used to use a full round cheese in sackcloth as a doorstop for the office. Never forgotten that.

moomooland:
0Edward Beck & Son Ltd Scammell Highwayman Reg No WJA 131 is seen here hauling a brand new Caterpillar bulldozer.

Im just looking at it on my phone which isnt the best , obviously not Peel Brow as you would have known that

kevmorrow:

moomooland:

Yes I delivered to them many times. In no order some food companies I remember.
Can you remmember SPD (speedy prompt delivery) White Bedford TKs. They called to most corner shops before supermarkets. Were they Higher Broughton area
Vimto at Nicholls Ayres Road Old Trafford moved Wythenshawe
Duerrs Jam Ayres Road
Cheshire Sterilised Milk lorries. Lancashire Hill Stockport
LHD Lancashire Hygenic dairies. Think they were based Farnworth area
Kraft cheese vans Ford 4D Thames
Brooke Bond tea chain driven vans from Trafford Park.
Used call to Hanburys depot at Irlam of the Heights.
Redmonds at Burnley
Cox annd Radcliffe near Pomona dock merged with Antrobus and Blackshaw Croceries fats and edible oils
Seymore Meads
Simpsons tinned pies Urmston and Simpsons Sausage and Pork chops Hazel Grove
Bread companies
Mothers Pride Old Trafford.
Graigs Pantry retail door delivery changed name to Enterprise Blue vans
Rolands retail home delivery Bread Sharston
Almonds Sharston Wythenshawe
Champion Bread Stockport
Sharrocks TipTop Lincoln Longsight
Sharrocks Farnworth
Prices Bread Ardwick
Duncan and Fosters All Saints Manchester
Robinsons Bread cakes All saints
Warburtons Bolton
Harveys Wigan
Rathbones Wigan
Guests Model Bakery Leigh
Wonderloaf Fitswarren Street Salford
Royals Bread Salford
Ben Worsleys (Vegit) Darwen
Forget name but part of Sunblest at Littleborough
Cheers kev

The bakery at Littleborough was "Whittles Bakery " ran independently ,but was part of "Sunblest ".
regards
chrisb.

ramone:
Obviously not Peel Brow as you would have known that

Beck Scammell Broken down-001.jpgAt first glance i thought that, but it truns out it’s Upholland near Wigan at junction of School Lane and Parliament Street on the A577

moomooland:
0Pictured here heading down Regent Road in Liverpool Aaron Henshall of Prescot operated this Atkinson Defender Reg No 788 WTE.

It actually pre-dates the Defender by some years, Paul

This was unusual in having an export-type steel-framed cab

Here it is today, after a beautiful restoration by Gary Kershaw:
Atkinson Eight Wheel Holt Lane Transport 788WTE Frank Hilton IMG_3502_ by frank hilton, on Flickr

moomooland:
0Blackburn Parcels ran about 20 vans, Austins like the one in the picture, and some ex military Bedford’s. They ran a parcel service to the likes of Manchester and Yorkshire but were nationalised in 1948 after which time they ran as part of BRS Parcels,

Stakes Hall depot later became a trailer park for W. H. Bowker, and known as ‘The Duckpond’ - it’s just around the back of the main depot in Hollin Bridge Street - the pitched roof in the background is Bowker’s warehouse.

Mr. Bowker bought the Hollin Bridge Street depot to carry on in business in warehousing, following the acquisition of his haulage fleet by the RHE in 1949. Thus, W. H. Bowker Limited has had a continuous existence, and wasn’t a new business started up after denationalisation