Night out payments

nightline:
It’s hard to believe in this day and age that people still do this for little reward with all the new equipment that hauliers pay a kings ransom for and the rest sure they are laughing all the way to the bank
I know it might suit some people and that’s OK but it’s still not right

Actually the margins on haulage are some of the lowest in business. Gregorys and Stobarts etc operate on around 2-3%. It would require a concerted effort by unions or a government agency to get it put into law that you must pay x amount, then when everyone has to collectively pay more for nights out, everyone is equally affected. Until then, we are at the mercy of market forces.

albion:

nightline:
It’s hard to believe in this day and age that people still do this for little reward with all the new equipment that hauliers pay a kings ransom for and the rest sure they are laughing all the way to the bank

Actually the margins on haulage are some of the lowest in business. Gregorys and Stobarts etc operate on around 2-3%. It would require a concerted effort by unions or a government agency to get it put into law that you must pay x amount, then when everyone has to collectively pay more for nights out, everyone is equally affected. Until then, we are at the mercy of market forces.

Market forces don’t digtate this why it’s because you accept it, and do you have the same thought when your boss is going home to his posh pad driving his posh car if you can’t make margins to run a business and pay the dues to people who bring the rewards then you should not be in any business

Jack-knife:

robroy:

Dipper_Dave:
But none of that is important I’m more interested in what chloelovesfur charges.

I think that he pays you Dave. :smiley:

Is this you on a night out Robroy?
No wonder you don’t park in laybys you’ll scare the buggers off.

:laughing:
Some people have no taste, it takes me ages to look as good as that ! :laughing:

As long as your parked securely and not driving.
I don’t have a problem with it.
Know who to look out for now
Thanks for posting.

I get £28 plus parking paid. No rule on having to use an MSA or not. So far this year I’ve managed almost 3 a month and to be fair that’s out of choice.
It was easier to park up and carry on to get an early collection and then an early finish than go back to the yard, go home, get up early to drive back to work in order to just carry on. Plus I got to have a an occasional dirty KFC/ McDonald’s/ Burger King on the sly.

Norfolkinclue1:
I get £28 plus parking paid. No rule on having to use an MSA or not. So far this year I’ve managed almost 3 a month and to be fair that’s out of choice.
It was easier to park up and carry on to get an early collection and then an early finish than go back to the yard, go home, get up early to drive back to work in order to just carry on. Plus I got to have a an occasional dirty KFC/ McDonald’s/ Burger King on the sly.

8 of us parked up at a hotel, on a paid day off . Plus £25 Night out and meals.
Shame about the trucks though, but I go to work for the money and conditions.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

My place pays £26.50 for a night out, not that we get many but they will pay for parking as well if needed.

nightline:

albion:

nightline:

Market forces don’t digtate this why it’s because you accept it, and do you have the same thought when your boss is going home to his posh pad driving his posh car if you can’t make margins to run a business and pay the dues to people who bring the rewards then you should not be in any business

No offence Nightline but that’s a ■■■■ poor attitude.
If you have an issue with a “boss” who is doing ok for him/herself then pull your finger out and do better yourself, quit your exploitation if it’s so bad and don’t try to link the fact you even have a job as being down to that very bosses success, particularly in a market with the likes of Stobarts, DHL and all from abroad.
I think you should be punished by being forced to listen to a long lecture by Carryfast on capitalism in the modern age.

Norfolkinclue1:
If you have an issue with a “boss” who is doing ok for him/herself then pull your finger out and do better yourself, quit your exploitation if it’s so bad and don’t try to link the fact you even have a job as being down to that very bosses success, particularly in a market with the likes of Stobarts, DHL and all from abroad.
I think you should be punished by being forced to listen to a long lecture by Carryfast on capitalism in the modern age.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

im now thinking…this :smiley:

Norfolkinclue1:

With some exceptions, most small firms are just undercutting the big boys, not outdoing them on any measure.

Their so-called efficiency derives from poorer vehicles, maintained more poorly, in less safe yards, and the fragmentation of the market is really what keeps all the workers in the market poor.

The days when anyone seriously believed you could just quit and do better, by any means other than just attacking the pay and conditions of the workforce, are long gone.

The night out money today in most cases is crap…fact!
Pre sleeper cab days it was given to drivers to pay for digs, but many saved it by cabbing it across the seats to make their wage better, …and fair do.s.
I started in 79, the n/o money was around 8 quid, I only got digs a handful of times for above reason and because many were ■■■■ holes.
My first artic job in 1980 was about 100 quid a week (maybe way off here, but I think that’s right) the night out money was a tenner, in other words 10% of my wage, so going by that ratio the night out money should be around £60 per night…and we all know it aint. :imp:
Also given that the original idea was for it to get digs …Where can you get a room today for 25 quid or whatever??
It should be based on the price of a cheapest room, so if the driver prefers to go for that option he can, but again…it aint.

All you guys who come out with the classic Dayman ‘‘Sleeping in a tin box’’ crap, : :unamused: then fair enough, that’s your take on it, but my ‘‘tin box’’ is kitted out with most home comforts and clean and tidy to live in.

I’ve slept across engine covers on boards and foam before, so I’m fine with my present living arrangements.

However I do agree the night out money should be twice what it is, but all you guys who think strong Trade Unions are The Anti Christ, should ask yourselves why it is not. :bulb:

Our company pay £26.50 night out money, all parking expenses reimbursed on production of receipt. AFAIK that’s the maximum non-taxable allowance, happy to be corrected.

I’m comfortable with that; of course it would be nice if I got more money but for one thing there ain’t many round my way that pay anything near the salary, and for another it’s a decent firm to work for (nobody leaves, always a good sign) the pension’s decent, few fringe benefits like a decent Xmas meal and best of all I don’t have to do cities.

Hopefully it’ll see me through to retirement.

Sidevalve:
it’s a decent firm to work for (nobody leaves, always a good sign)

No one leaves? :open_mouth: Good god, they sound ripe for an assault on pay and conditions :laughing:

Rob is correct in what he say, and with the current climate of regulations it should more than double. My take on this has two angles, firstly many drivers include their nights out as a part of their weekly take home pay, ive yet to see a table of what drivers actually spend on a weekly basis for sleeping in their Tin Boxes `

Secondly, this is for drivers who are on international work, £25 a night out wont buy a hotel for the weekend or Fri - Monday as would be the case with the advent of big fines for drivers and company who takes a weekly rest in their trucks…this would now have to be written into the rates for the job…the other issue is food, if we are not allowed access to our trucks…then we cant save money by cooking in the cab ( foreign authorities would possibly fine a driver for working on his weekly rest days lol) …of course the other issue attached is the amount of money a driver would receive…If for example its £25 a night, thats not enough for a breakfast and an evening meal in most euro countries, and therefore would companies make the night out money part of that expense, or pay for a hotel with all food included, drinks however would be from our own pockets, or would the night out money then become a thing of the past, as companies would then pay for all the home comforts a driver gets paid for now…so to speak. Your thoughts please !!

truckyboy:
Rob is correct in what he say, and with the current climate of regulations it should more than double. My take on this has two angles, firstly many drivers include their nights out as a part of their weekly take home pay, ive yet to see a table of what drivers actually spend on a weekly basis for sleeping in their Tin Boxes `

Secondly, this is for drivers who are on international work, £25 a night out wont buy a hotel for the weekend or Fri - Monday as would be the case with the advent of big fines for drivers and company who takes a weekly rest in their trucks…this would now have to be written into the rates for the job…the other issue is food, if we are not allowed access to our trucks…then we cant save money by cooking in the cab ( foreign authorities would possibly fine a driver for working on his weekly rest days lol) …of course the other issue attached is the amount of money a driver would receive…If for example its £25 a night, thats not enough for a breakfast and an evening meal in most euro countries, and therefore would companies make the night out money part of that expense, or pay for a hotel with all food included, drinks however would be from our own pockets, or would the night out money then become a thing of the past, as companies would then pay for all the home comforts a driver gets paid for now…so to speak. Your thoughts please !!

It seems to me the requirement is not that the driver avoids accessing the truck, but that he does not take his weekly rest in it.

No one would say going into the truck briefly for your cigarette lighter, or to get a tin of beans out the cupboard, amounts to taking your weekly rest in the vehicle.

But clearly, there is going to need to be a kind of personal living space available somewhere away from the cab (with a bed, and food, washing, and laundry service), and the driver is going to have to spend the majority of the time away from the cab.

Operators are likely to need proof of compliance, either by making the hotel and food arrangements themselves, or by providing a credit card and checking VAT receipts and such.

It is very unlikely they will get away with providing a fixed amount of cash for the board element, although obviously they might limit any expenses overall (as long as it is reasonable and does not implicitly force a driver to sleep in the cab). It is also unlikely that operators will get away with providing undesirable accomodation that tempts the driver back into the cab.

Whether drivers are then willing to spend their weekends in a hotel unwaged, or whether the employers have to pay additional money, will be up to drivers themselves to decide whether their job is worth it.

We all know that night out money, although notionally for personal expenses, is actually treated as an element of wages for guys who do it regularly, and is the reason they do it regularly, so I’d expect that someone spending the weekend away is still going to want something to show for it - even if they were being put up in the Holiday Inn and had access to a swimming pool and spa.

On the plus side, for drivers it might restore the sort of conditions that almost anyone else in the working world would expect. You don’t get managers on a two-week business trip, being sent out in a company caravan and expected to spend the weekend inside it - although then again, maybe if it was a luxury Winnebago… :laughing:

It also puts the haulage equation back in favour of drivers who are local to particular freight movements.

Rjan:

Sidevalve:
it’s a decent firm to work for (nobody leaves, always a good sign)

No one leaves? :open_mouth: Good god, they sound ripe for an assault on pay and conditions :laughing:

There’s an old saying about killing the goose that lays the golden egg, mate. We do have one or two who moan, but funnily enough despite one having been there 40 years he hasn’t upped sticks and gone somewhere better. Mind you, my old gaffer used to say that when drivers STOP moaning it’s the time to worry.

Dork Lard:
Oh deary me sweet Jesus.

Where do the night out in a layby brigade store their dignity?

Which truck manufacturer creates a space for that then■■?

Are you saying that we should all sleep in truck stops, and if so, why?
To my mind the majority of them are ghastly places.
What’s next? That we all get tucked in and read a bedtime story? Good grief! When did lorry drivers start to get so precious!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Roverman:

Dork Lard:
Oh deary me sweet Jesus.

What’s next? That we all get tucked in and read a bedtime story? Good grief! When did lorry drivers start to get so precious!

On the other hand mate why should you put up with having to make do with a lay by which is totally unsuitable and not fit for purpose in terms of facilities, whichever way you look at it.
Why just let those who shut all the town parks down drive you into something as crap as that.
Tbf I aint keen on many truckstops myself, apart from the better class ones, but any ■■■■ where is better than a lay by.
It signifies that ‘You know your place’ in this country, admits defeat and shows a lack of imagination and initiative imo.

robroy:

Roverman:

Dork Lard:
Oh deary me sweet Jesus.

On the other hand mate why should you put up with having to make do with a lay by which is totally unsuitable and not fit for purpose in terms of facilities, whichever way you look at it.
Why just let those who shut all the town parks down drive you into something as crap as that.
Tbf I aint keen on many truckstops myself, apart from the better class ones, but any [zb] where is better than a lay by.
It signifies that ‘You know your place’ in this country, admits defeat and shows a lack of imagination and initiative imo.

Sometimes you’ve no choice through running out of time due to unforseen circumstances etc., or even worse if your company doesn’t (of which there are many!) pay parking.
Plus, there’s not enough room in the current truck stops so the laybys would be full anyway!

Roverman:
Sometimes you’ve no choice through running out of time due to unforseen circumstances etc., or even worse if your company doesn’t (of which there are many!) pay parking.
Plus, there’s not enough room in the current truck stops so the laybys would be full anyway!

I know what you mean I’ve had to resort to them myself, but I can count on one hand wnd still have some fingers left how many times in last couple or so years.
You don’t always have to pay for parking either if you get to know the right places near to facilities that are relatively safe.
It’s the guys that lay by it as a first option I’m on about.
Personally I couldn’t give a twopenny ■■■■ where these guys park, I just think it’s a bit pathetic taking a third class park facility as a first option.
Furthermore as long as many drivers just settle for it and say nothing, the dire parking situation will never change,… because apart from many drivers such as myself nobody else in any other walk of life gives a ■■■■ end of… :bulb: