Night out money on parking in services

Is it normal for the company to pay or reimburse you for parking in services or secure parking, or is expecting you to pay for it with night out money out of order? Our accounts department are arguing that the company shouldn’t have to pay for it, that’s what night out money is for and it’s our choice if we want to park where we have to pay or not.

All of our parking is paid for by the company, if your company tells you, “that’s what night out money for” don’t do the night’s out parked in a layby, they get all the vat back on parking charges, and some tax to, Decent companies will reimburse you parking cost’s.

Night out money is your money. The company should have a policy on parking, either you park where you can for free or they pay parking. If it’s the former, then it’s your choice to work or not for them.

Used to get parking paid back plus £27 for night out,not that I did that many but should get extra money for not being home.

Night out money is for you to get yourself food etc. If the company won’t pay parking then park up in laybys or industrial estates, if you get done over then its the companies problem.

Don’t be paying parking out of your night out money ffs :unamused:
If they won’t pay to park THEIR truck, look to park beside a down market caravan park with lots of Transit pick ups and lurcher dogs. :bulb:

They are taking the ■■■■ if they expect you to pay for parking out of your night out money, don’t fall for that one. You will be spending your wages on food and parking to get the job done for them, Christ what next, pay for your own fuel or servicing maybe if you have anything left? Your not an owner driver are you?

Depending on how much night out money you get, it probably won’t cover most MSA parking fee anyway.

Average night out allowance about £20 or so pounds.
Average MSA parking fee about £27 or so pounds.

As said above, if the company don’t pay, don’t park there. Park on an industrial estate. And if you sense somebody cutting your curtain, or nicking your diesel. Keep the cab closed and ignore. You’re not a security guard.

As Nodding Donkey said, if they dont pay parking, they will soon learn the hard way .
With cut curtains, no load until its repaired.
Expensive call out for fuel after its stolen.
New fuel tank if its spiked with a bottle jack to drain it out .
Loss of revenue sorting above .
If hear curtain cutters of fuel fairies, don’t get out .

Suggest you get your a/c dept to look at the Government website regarding n/o money, it does not include using it to pay for parking.

lolipop:
Suggest you get your a/c dept to look at the Government website regarding n/o money, it does not include using it to pay for parking.

can you provide a link, having a problem finding it myself.

So what have you decided?
Do you intend to pay for parking their truck or not.
What have you said to them now you have got opinions on this.

nurglets:

lolipop:

gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manual … l/nim05684

sleeper cab section on this page says what night out money is to be used for, anything else is a business expence

nurglets:

lolipop:

transportoperator.co.uk/2016/03/ … llowances/
saint.co.uk/2017/04/25/lorry … allowance/

robroy:
So what have you decided?
Do you intend to pay for parking their truck or not.
What have you said to them now you have got opinions on this.

firmly intend to not pay for parking ever, if they want someone to babysit 100 grand worth of equipment and then however much the load is worth then 25 quid isnt unfair. luckily our transport manager is of the same opinion and actually has some clout in the company to keep it that way. I just wondered how other companies deal with it and if there was anything in black and white legislation wise that made either position unarguable.

What do other drivers in the company do? Do they do the above, park in places where the curtains get cut and fuel gets nicked? Or do they all just sit back and pay parking for the company?

Driver-Once-More:

nurglets:

lolipop:

transportoperator.co.uk/2016/03/ … llowances/
saint.co.uk/2017/04/25/lorry … allowance/

But neither of those links are to a Government website…

You need to start looking at gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manual … l/eim66105 and then read and fully understand all the linked pages. In essence, “night out money” is the reimbursement of a driver’s personal expenses incurred as a result of the night away from home (i.e. personal to him, nothing to do with the vehicle or the business). Charges to park the lorry are not “personal expenses” - they are legitimate business expenses incurred on behalf of the employer in just the same way as road tax, tolls, fuel, repairs, servicing etc. If any of the latter had to be paid by the driver he would naturally expect to be fully reimbursed and income tax would not come into the equation. Same applies to parking charges.

Night out money is only exempt from income tax if it is under HMRC’s published threshold (currently 27 quid and a few pence) and the rules regarding evidence have been followed.

quote … ‘‘if they want someone to babysit 100 grand worth of equipment and then however much the load is worth then 25 quid isnt unfair.’’

So you are prepared to be a security guard for just a smidgin over £2 per hour ■■ No wonder the job is screwed !!! :unamused:

Rowley010:
What do other drivers in the company do? Do they do the above, park in places where the curtains get cut and fuel gets nicked? Or do they all just sit back and pay parking for the company?

You can park without paying and not get your curtains cut. I’ve only ever had my curtains cut in places I’ve paid.

A.

raymundo:
quote … ‘‘if they want someone to babysit 100 grand worth of equipment and then however much the load is worth then 25 quid isnt unfair.’’

So you are prepared to be a security guard for just a smidgin over £2 per hour ■■ No wonder the job is screwed !!! :unamused:

jog on with that bull