Newbie - Any advice would be appreciated :)

Hey, hope you’re all keeping safe!

I am looking to become a HGV driver. Obviously with what’s going on at the moment I’m guessing all training has been stopped? I’m basically looking to see how much training costs collectively. I’d like to be to be Class 1 but from what I can see you need Class 2 as well?

Also what kind of work is there for new drivers. I mean… you need experience to get experience right? Any advice or help will be much appreciated :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Kev

I did mine 2 years ago. Cost me £1000 per licence (£220 per 4hrs and £120 for test). I budgeting an extra £500 for medical, glasses and theory. With a retest it cost me all in £2650

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

stuwozere1:
I did mine 2 years ago. Cost me £1000 per licence (£220 per 4hrs and £120 for test). I budgeting an extra £500 for medical, glasses and theory. With a retest it cost me all in £2650

I expected more than that to be honest. Is that inlcuding theory, cpc etc?

I’d say £1500 per test… not worth considering on the cheap. DO NOT overlook the test centre which has its own reversing area and always have an instructor who has at least 5+ years experience. Your investment is their tuition experience. First time I attempted C+E I had two instructors one of whom had no experience - it was £1100 wasted between instructors. I have heard of folk paying £800 but then they fail and it costs them another £500 for the re-test. Worth paying the £300 for pass protection which gives an extra 3 attempts.

theory and hazard tests are about £100 and CPC is about £70-80 per day for the 5 sessions - not sure about mod 4 as I didn’t do it.

KevinKevin:

stuwozere1:

I expected more than that to be honest. Is that inlcuding theory, cpc etc?

Yeah, all in [emoji106]

Happy to give our prices but they come with a health warning as they’re not the cheapest! But I’m sure you’ve heard the saying “buy cheap, buy twice”. You will also find huge variations in quality, not only of the actual training, but facilities eg many, many trainers have no correctly marked and surfaced reversing area.

It is a fact that LGV instructors do not have to be qualified. Strange. If I teach you to drive a car I have to be qualified. Not so for a 44 tonne artic!

So I offer:

Fully trained, qualified and registered instructors
Very modern fleet (fully auto)
Test centre on site (the first in the UK)
Accredited training centre
Total “hand holding” service from our dedicated customer support team
A brilliant reputation built up over 35 years

But this comes at a cost and it’s 100% up to the individual as to whether you consider it good value.

Starter Pack (medical at our centre, theory training on line + 1 day classroom, all 3 theory tests booked and paid for at your local centre) £250

CAT C 1:1 training, including test on site, vehicle hire, insurance, VAT etc etc £1400 (14hrs + test)
CAT C 1:1 training, " " " " " " " " " " " " £1700 (20hrs + test)
MOD 4 (driver cpc) £ 300 (training, test)

Note that CE training is conducted with larger units with 13.6m (industry standard) trailers.

Pass Protection is available. Covers the costs of 3 retests. £300 fully inclusive).

As a Trucknet user you automatically get 10% discount.

These are unique times, of course. So we are offering folks the opportunity to register with us at no charge. This secures your place in the queue for when we are able to restart training. You will not be hounded (we have no system for hounding) but you will be contacted when appropriate to offer dates for training. You can decline and deregister, take the dates, negotiate other dates. The choices are all yours. You also have the opportunity to have a medical, get your provisional and make a start on the theory side of things. That way, you’re ready to roll as soon as possible.

Many Trucknet users have used our services so feel free to ask about us.

I’m available on public forum or private message to help. To register or take the Starter Pack, simply call Tracey from our customer service team. She is working from home and will take your call on 01623 555661.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

KevinKevin:
Hey, hope you’re all keeping safe!

I am looking to become a HGV driver. Obviously with what’s going on at the moment I’m guessing all training has been stopped? I’m basically looking to see how much training costs collectively. I’d like to be to be Class 1 but from what I can see you need Class 2 as well?

Also what kind of work is there for new drivers. I mean… you need experience to get experience right? Any advice or help will be much appreciated :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Kev

I can recommend Peter Smythe Transport Training from my own personal experience.

I went there 3 years ago and was blown away by the quality of his setup, from the vehicles and experienced instructors to the manuovring yard and the way i was treated and dealt with, think about an old style of company where the customer is always right and they get everything they ask for combined with a new modern company with new buildings and equipment.

If you are the type of person who always buys the cheapest of everything in life then this review is not going to intrest you in the slightest, if however you believe like me, that quality costs money then i can personally reassure you that Peter Smythe is your man, am not sure if it was 34 years as an instructor or 43 years as an instructor, what i can tell you is what Pete doesn’t know about lorry driving and instructing, isn’t worth knowing.

Thanks for that recommendation; much appreciated. Just for the record (if anyone’s interested) it’s 49 years since I taught my first PSV driver and 46 years since the first artic driver. And had the school for 35 years. So it’s a fair record.

In fairness, I dont train on a regular basis now and I rely on my brilliant team - some of whom have been trained to instruct by me. But I’m on hand to fill in for sickness or any other time when required. And, to make sure I dont forget how to do it, the office schedules me a course every few weeks. I dont want to give the impression that I do all the training.

My passion remains unchanged: to provide the best possible pathways for folks to a) learn to drive a truck or bus and b) to pass the required tests.

Always happy to chat via forum or pm.

Please stay safe and look after yourselves and everybody else.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

You done away with the wag n drag now Peter?

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Personally having seen his comments on here I’d go with Peter Smythe.
His attitude is top notch and his advice objective.

He has a reputation to protect and looks after it.

I passed with Stobart driving school and cant fault it but I think it’s gone now.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

You done away with the wag n drag now Peter?

Yes, last one left us in January. The demand for w+d was very low, possibly because folks are drawn to a “proper” artic.

Personally having seen his comments on here I’d go with Peter Smythe.
His attitude is top notch and his advice objective.

He has a reputation to protect and looks after it.

I passed with Stobart driving school and cant fault it but I think it’s gone now.

Thank you. Interestingly, we trained instructors for Stobart - so that’s why they were good!! But they’ve long since closed the driving school for reasons best known to themselves.

Stay safe everyone, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I didn’t know you’d trained them Pete [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Thanks for all your advice, this is much appreciated. I am based in Cardiff. I’m in no major rush to make any decisions but it is something I’d like to do. I’m currently a van driver so I’ve got a lot of experience on the road. I’m hoping this goes in my favour once I am HGV trained when looking for Class 1 work.

KevinKevin:
Thanks for all your advice, this is much appreciated. I am based in Cardiff. I’m in no major rush to make any decisions but it is something I’d like to do. I’m currently a van driver so I’ve got a lot of experience on the road. I’m hoping this goes in my favour once I am HGV trained when looking for Class 1 work.

I travelled up to train with Peter coming up 3 years next month. I’m from the Rhondda it was a good 3 1/2 hour drive but well worth it. You won’t get better training I’m quite confident of that.