Hello all! New to this, need advice!

Hello all!

Firstly i want to apologise if any of my questions are answered elsewhere! I have a few questions i would like answering in one post from people that have gone down the same route as me.

For a while now i have wanted to get my HGV license, my cousin does it and loves it, primarily i need to work mon-fri due to family commitments, i know that obviously building sites etc work mon-fri so thats where them jobs are at…thats not an issue as i know them jobs are readily available.

I have shopped around for class 1, 2 and the CPC. I have been given quotes from £2500 with support for employment after. Then another quote for £4000 with 5 backup tests if i fail. Are these prices accurate?

Also, i have been given approximate time scales to get all of this done, including interim times for waiting on licenses to be sent by the DVLA of about 8-12 weeks. Is this accurate or are these companies telling me what i want to hear?

Money isnt a big motivator of mine right now, but salaries of between £28k-£30k?

Again, apologies if all of this has been answered already, please feel free to direct me in the right way if possible. But i would prefer all of the answers explained in this post so i have it all to hand. Also if anyone has any companies they would recommend, that would be great! I live in Doncaster so i know there is lots of potential!

Many thanks in advance!

Have you been to visit any of these companies :question: have you spoke to the instructor yourself :question: if no why not :question:

Depends where you are in the country as to wages sorry but my crystal ball is with my Fat controller :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You will need a medical cost anything from £40

Depends when you passed your cr test as to weather you need initial cpc or drivers cpc don’t worry to much spout them atm

A read of this might help

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44667

A couple of very good schools vaguely near you:
Elmet Training in Church Fenton
Tockworth Training, York.

By the way, please DO NOT pay 4 grand under any circumstances. Phone both these up as well as any others you find and ask for an assessment. During this you will check you are happy with the vehicle, the instructor, and the general feel of the place, as well as allowing them to work out how much training you need to pass. All the best.

No i havent been on any visits yet as i want to see what the offers are and make a short list depending on price/content of the course and what it has to offer.

I figured 4k was an outrageous cost, compared to most of the other prices!

Thank you for them suggestions, i will get in touch with them first thing in the morning.

Doncaster is only a short hop to Peter Smythe LGV school - see the forum sponsor link at the top of this forum :smiley:

Go visit them and get all your queries answered face to face :bulb:

Doncaster is only a short hop to Peter Smythe LGV school - see the forum sponsor link at the top of this forum :smiley:

That makes sense. There’s 4 people in the office all the time who are there to answer your questions, give you a site tour (including our own private driving test centre) and you get to sit in trucks and discuss the ins and outs of manual v.auto and generally put your mind at rest. As a Trucknet user you get 10% off our normal rates - these are well publicised on our website so there’s no kidology.

Once you have your provisional (happy to sort that for you) have an assessment drive if you wish. Go to at least one other as well and then compare. Not all training is the same. We are the only DVSA LGV Accredited School between Luton and Carlisle. The industry is unregulated so this is a quality assurance.

If I were you, I’d call in at the training centre (adj Mansfield Woodhouse Railway Station) and speak with Pete, Rosina, Tracey or Aaron. Any of them can help you. No need to ring first but, if you want to, 01623 620062.

BTW, we are due to move at the end of this month so, around that period, it’s worth checking to see exactly where we are!! The new postcode, from early Sept is NG17 3FW.

There’s also an open day at the new training centre from 9am Sat 12th Sept where you can meet the team, have a tour of the centre, sit in trucks and have a go at reversing a full size artic. Bacon butties are FREE as is the whole day.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

That sound great, i will give you a call shortly to get a few details.

ROG:

:blush: Sorry Peter for some reason my mental geography was worringly way out - I of course would have mentioned you too!

I’m near Nottingham and most seem to be a approx 1100 plus test and cpc. For 4k I would want guaranteed pass of C and CE! With a dit of D thrown in :smiley:

Price wise your looking at 2500-3000 for you class 2 class 1 and your cpc but prices vary, when you get quotes see how many hours this is for as some cut the hours to give you a good price. Peter I have both my licence does that mean I can come along lmao, I read your post but all I could make out from it was FREE BACON BUTTIES :grimacing: