Looking for work with a skeleton in closet

For most of the past year, I’ve been doing agency work for the same agency and the same company which the agency has found for me. The company I work for is happy with my work but they won’t take me on as they aren’t taking anybody on preferring to use agency staff such as myself. So I’m finding myself in the position of having to apply for full-time driving jobs. My last job before signing on to do this agency work was one which I resigned from. In fact, I was told that I had the choice of resigning or my employment would be terminated. It was down to some difficulty I had with the transport manager a the company. So, if anybody enquires of that company about me, I will get a reference which states that I left of my own volition. I was assured this my the HR department. So that’s fine. But the problem lies in why would I leave a company without full time permanent work to go to? A bit like a monkey grabbing hold of the next branch before letting go of the last. My situation begs the question ‘Why did you leave your last position?’ Incidentally, I was with them for just under two years. Does anybody have any suggestions as to how to get around this situation? Thanks.

More money? Better shifts? More variety of work? There’s loads of things you could say.

As far as references go these days the most a lot if companies will give is a confirmation that you were employed without going into detail for fear thst saying too much may leave them liable

Just come up with a plausible excuse, based on the truth, though the real truth may actually sound quite reasonable when you write it down.

Too many nights out
Wrong shift pattern at the time for family situation
Nights/Days not suitable
Looking to broaden experience
Looking to better yourself because job not paying enough for work/hours involved
Assured of better job which turned out to be false promise, didn’t want to go cap in hand to recall your notice

unlimited reasons when you put your mind to it

you could always just say that the t.m. was a fanny and you chose to leave rather than get the jail for dragging him through the window and kicking his teeth in.honesty can sometimes be the best policy…or.just lie through your teeth…pick a local co that went bust 2 years ago and say you were the last to leave. :slight_smile:

Family problems, and I’d rather not discuss it Thanksgiving

Thanks for all your replies.

The reason this TM had it in for me I think was because I told her that she was encouraging me to break the law. I tried to put it diplomatically. I was being told to take breaks when loading/unloading. I wish I hadn’t said anything by now. But I have been doing work for another company who are very keen on making sure their drivers take their breaks in a legal manner. Apparently a few of their drivers were caught taking their breaks when loading/unloading. If you have to load/unload by engaging PTO with increased revs then it’s not too difficult for the authorities to work out what you’re doing.

Mooping:

The reason this TM had it in for me I think was because I told her that she was encouraging me to break the law. I tried to put it diplomatically. I was being told to take breaks when loading/unloading. I wish I hadn’t said anything by now. But I have been doing work for another company who are very keen on making sure their drivers take their breaks in a legal manner. Apparently a few of their drivers were caught taking their breaks when loading/unloading. If you have to load/unload by engaging PTO with increased revs then it’s not too difficult for the authorities to work out what you’re doing.

I would be honest with any new employer then. Saying you left because your old TM wanted you to break the law sounds like a good reason to go, even without another job. It’ll show you have integrity, morals and care about your licence.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

IronEddie:

Mooping:

I would be honest with any new employer then. Saying you left because your old TM wanted you to break the law sounds like a good reason to go, even without another job. It’ll show you have integrity, morals and care about your licence.

^^^ That and I say as an employer.

Isn’t it one of those things you’re never supposed to do at an interview ie criticize your past employer? I’ll have to give it some thought.

Mooping:
Isn’t it one of those things you’re never supposed to do at an interview ie criticize your past employer? I’ll have to give it some thought.

I’ve been told that before to. But there’s a caveat to every rule. From what you’ve said if it were me and I was directly asked about why I’d left, I’d be honest.

Mooping:

I left because my last firm were rubbish, the TM was a barsteward who had you running round like a blue assed fly and the customers were all carp.

You sound like a whinger.

I left because they regularly asked us to break the tacho rules and I wasn’t comfortable doing so.

You sound as if my O License is safe in your hands. See the difference?

To add there is some gobbldygook called a criticism sandwich. Which means say something nice, say something bad and then say something nice. In your case:

I liked working there, well maintained vehicles, good customers but there started to be pressure to regularly break the rules. If it wasn’t for that, I’d probably have wanted to stay .

albion:
To add there is some gobbldygook called a criticism sandwich. Which means say something nice, say something bad and then say something nice. In your case:

I liked working there, well maintained vehicles, good customers but there started to be pressure to regularly break the rules. If it wasn’t for that, I’d probably have wanted to stay .

Would saying a “personality clash with a manager” cut it?
If your new prospective employer is buddies with the old one they msy not realise what they’re really like?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Difficult to say.

If you say personality clash and and the interviewer doesn’t know you or the other TM from Adam, then the interviewer doesn’t know if it’s you or the TM that has the personality problem.

if they do know them, maybe they know what you mean, maybe they only see a nice side.

I’d always avoid that statement myself.

albion:

I like it.

Mooping:

albion:

I like it.

Yes it is a good line, anyone with an ounce of nous looking at your application will see someone tactful, if you use it don’t be pressured into expanding on the ‘breaking the rules’ bit even in confidence, keep up the line that you are discreet.

I had an issue with a foreign planner, so much so, I left in a huff. I had several other ideas and went to another local company, about three weeks later a familiar voice answered the phone, turns out she had got the sack and cleared her desk. We never had a cross word again [emoji14] sometimes the planners are under as much pressure as the drivers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wheel Nut:
I had an issue with a foreign planner, so much so, I left in a huff. I had several other ideas and went to another local company, about three weeks later a familiar voice answered the phone, turns out she had got the sack and cleared her desk. We never had a cross word again [emoji14] sometimes the planners are under as much pressure as the drivers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am totally aware of that. But this person was/is one who felt quite threatened and insecure I believe. Ever since I said to her that she was encouraging me to break the law I think she felt I was trying to undermine her. And I wasn’t. There was one driver who bought her a present at Christmas and made her coffee when he would go into the office and he was the one that got all the better jobs. I liked that job. Maybe I should have done the same. But it’s not my style.

On a positive…I got a phone call earlier asking me if I was looking for work. A guy I used to work with told his new company that he knew I was looking for work and they have someone leaving next week. I have to go in later this week to learn the ropes. So a spot of good news. :slight_smile:

Personally, at an interview or on an application form, unless I could prove what I was saying I would make up any excuse rather than slag off a previous employer.

At the end of the day a prospective employer won’t usually know you from Adam and will have no idea whether you’re telling the truth or whether you’re just a disgruntled worker who couldn’t hack it, so unless you can back up what you’re accusing someone of it’s just a biassed and unfounded accusation.

tachograph:
Personally, at an interview or on an application form, unless I could prove what I was saying I would make up any excuse rather than slag off a previous employer.

At the end of the day a prospective employer won’t usually know you from Adam and will have no idea whether you’re telling the truth or whether you’re just a disgruntled worker who couldn’t hack it, so unless you can back up what you’re accusing someone of it’s just a biassed and unfounded accusation.

I find it difficult to disagree with that too. Basically, if you are expected to continuously do something which is unlawful, you either have to follow orders and break the law or find another job. Of course, when I ‘resigned’, I was told that my contract wouldn’t be renewed for other reasons. There were five reasons in all and they were absolute nonsense. One of them was that a small lorry had overtaken me on a dual carriage-way and a pipe fell off it and hit my vehicle causing slight damage. They pulled up and I pulled up too and got their details. Text book stuff. I pointed out that I can’t be blamed for that. I was told by HR that it was one thing amongst several others. I phoned ACAS and they advised me that if you have under 2 years service, you can’t be claim unfair dismissal. They had me over a barrel. Anyway, it looks like I now have another job. :slight_smile: