Just a quickie.

Would you leave a full time job you hated to go on a agency? In other words thats what I’m thinking about doing but don’t really know how agency work works. Like how much work do you get offered etc. Any tips or advice will be appreciated. Cheers.

Only you can know the answer to this as it depends on far too many different factors, eg.

• are you single with low commitments or do you have family, kids and a large mortgage noose round your neck?
  • what’s your current job, work pattern, hours and pay?
  • what are you needing from agy work? Are you going to be requiring shifts on certain days/nights between certain times or can you do any work/shifts they throw at you, including all the dog end jobs that no-one else will do, such as removals, furniture/white goods deliveries up 4 storeys, store/food deliveries like Brakes/3663 etc?

Read this carefully.

Not saying names and it’s not me but someone I know hated their job. That person seen an ad from an agency that seemed not bad, good rate etc. He went down and signed up and was told he would be put on a certain contract. He drove to the customer and done a wee driving test and passed no probs. Went back to the agy said yes please I’ll do it, and handed his notice in there and then for his current job. First week on the agy he has been hit with crap work. Next week? “Sorry it’s a bit quiet just now, we’ll call you.”

A classic example of an agency promising the world then failing. You need to realise the agency is there to make money and do as the client says. They don’t care about you and they don’t care about your bills. You’ll get work when it suits them, not you.

If I were you I would stay put till something full time comes up. Can you explain what you do?

dukeofdirt:
Would you leave a full time job you hated to go on a agency? In other words thats what I’m thinking about doing but don’t really know how agency work works. Like how much work do you get offered etc. Any tips or advice will be appreciated. Cheers.

the grass aint always greener on the other side mate, agencies will promise you the earth and deliver very very little.

depending on how much you hated your job, i would stay and try and ride it out and try and apply for some other full time jobs if there are any going.

if you really want to try the agency route, try and book a week or 2’s holidays from your current job, and then you will find out how much work they can offer you, then if you decide not to go down the agency route you still can go back to your full time job

I’ve gone self employed purely because I am so fed up of agencies promising guaranteed work that never materialises… I took business cards round local companies… I now do a lot of work for a local freight company and love it…I know where I stand and they ring me and book me instead of me chasing agencies. I still do some work for agencies but at least I am now in control :slight_smile:

My son hates his job has done for bout 2.5 years but as he said he realised 1 day that although his job was boring he was going to make the most of it as he did get on with some of the people he works with so made the best of a bad job if you like

I am registered with several agency have had some work but not enough to keep me going ( although due to my situation I dont have to rely on them ) a friend did leave his full time job ( against the advise of myself & several others ) to go work on the agency as they promised that they had loads of work for him did they deliver answer is NO

Have a look in the local paper or on the jobcenter website for jobs most are advertised by agency well all the agency advertise the same job if you read the forums you will find that out

Please think long & hard before you do that as there are not a lot of jobs out there the agency just let you think that there are

But as Rob K say if you have no commitments & like plenty time off then go for it

To me, freight forwarders, logistics consultants, and agencies ■■■■ in the same gold plated pot. It is only gold plated on the rim though, on the inside you can see all the cracks. :stuck_out_tongue:

Have a look how many real jobs are being advertised, how many new drivers have your company taken on in the last 2 years, then look at how many agencies are offering you the earth to fill these same jobs. I don’t doubt there are some jobs that are worth chasing after, but I see many other jobs like temporary draymen, dustcart drivers and food wholesale deliveries to pubs, restaurants and hotels.

That is my take on it and wouldn’t wish to put anyone off :wink:

Cheers for the replies. I don’t have any commitments single, no kids, no mortgage could work any day but ideally Monday to Friday. I currently work for Stobarts Thursday-Monday one week Thursday-saturday off Sunday in Monday Tuesday the next (remember the thread about the ad in the sun last year sometime?) money’s ok just don’t like it and I can’t put my finger on why I hate it so much, I know some blokes love it, but however it’s just not for me.

That’s what I wanted to know Steve, like will they drop you at the drop of a hat. I don’t have any major commitments but I don’t want to end up with only a odd days work here or there.

I live in Manchester anyone think of any company’s I could look up whilst were on the subject? Cheers again fellers! :slight_smile:

Sometime the job is what you make it

Have a look in the yellow pages to see what road haulage/ transport companies are in your area then put a CV together & on your days off call round dressed & visit all the said companies handing in your CV try talking to the transport manager/owner as you never know what might happen

Yes agency will drop you without even thinking about it as you may only be as good as your last job but also remember that you will be 1st to go if they are quiet

I think you should have a good think before you make a drastic move. How about just making sure you’ve had plenty sleep etc the night before and go to work with a smile on your face, a bag full of munchies and juice and a couple CD’s and try and change your perception of the job. Try and see things not as a problem but as a challenge. Try and engauge in conversation a bit more if you’re the quiet type. Just basically try and change your mind set.

I’m saying this because you’ve probably got it not too bad at Stobbies and you’ll be in for a massive shock going from a new motor + trailer to god knows what companies the agy has on their books. My friend I mentioned used to do tramping and was used to a clean and decent motor and says a big shock was driving all the scabby tat of the day, getting crap start times etc.

There are many on here that would jump at the chance to swap from agency work to Stobart (even if they don’t want to admit it :laughing: ). You’ll never get Mon-Fri and take home decent pay. You’ll probably be on 8 hours then home. The weekend is where the money is on agency work.

If I were you I’d stay put and wait a while to see if things change. The nicer weather is here now so mayby that’ll make it a little better. I love this job in the summer, loathe it in the winter :laughing:

Steve

I hated my previous job and NEARLY jacked it to go agency just to get out. On the one day where I’d really had enough and was ready to punch the boss, a job came up, I applied and got it! :stuck_out_tongue:

Notice went in next day on a scrappy piece of paper (no ‘formalities’ this time). booked all my hols to use them up (didn’t know if I would been paid them so…), started new job when ‘on holiday’ and never looked back!! :sunglasses:

All I can say is PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE. All good things…

dukeofdirt:
Cheers for the replies. I don’t have any commitments single, no kids, no mortgage could work any day but ideally Monday to Friday. I currently work for Stobarts Thursday-Monday one week Thursday-saturday off Sunday in Monday Tuesday the next (remember the thread about the ad in the sun last year sometime?) money’s ok just don’t like it and I can’t put my finger on why I hate it so much, I know some blokes love it, but however it’s just not for me.

That’s what I wanted to know Steve, like will they drop you at the drop of a hat. I don’t have any major commitments but I don’t want to end up with only a odd days work here or there.

I live in Manchester anyone think of any company’s I could look up whilst were on the subject? Cheers again fellers! :slight_smile:

The majority of agency work centres around the supermarkets. They’re a bit quiet on Mon/Tue so you end up doing the weekends to make up your week. I’ve done agency work for years and the one thing I can promise you is you can’t trust the vast majority of them.

44 Tonne Ton:

dukeofdirt:

The majority of agency work centres around the supermarkets. They’re a bit quiet on Mon/Tue so you end up doing the weekends to make up your week. I’ve done agency work for years and the one thing I can promise you is you can’t trust the vast majority of them.

Dead right!, there should be legislation to govern agency behaviour. Very glad to sign you up, promise of work, then nothing, despite a window full of adverts requiring drivers.
Every industry i can think of as to abide by a code of conduct ensuring that it does not mislead or make false claims (trades description, fit for purpose etc) yet agency’s can widely advertise driving positions that do not exist (get away with it by inserting ‘ongoing’ or temporary etc), that is loop hole deception
Stick with stobs mate, you are lucky to get a drive. All the best whatever you decide.

delboy trucker:

44 Tonne Ton:

dukeofdirt:

Dead right!, there should be legislation to govern agency behaviour. Very glad to sign you up, promise of work, then nothing, despite a window full of adverts requiring drivers.
Every industry i can think of as to abide by a code of conduct ensuring that it does not mislead or make false claims (trades description, fit for purpose etc) yet agency’s can widely advertise driving positions that do not exist (get away with it by inserting ‘ongoing’ or temporary etc), that is loop hole deception
Stick with stobs mate, you are lucky to get a drive. All the best whatever you decide.

Cheers mate I think all these posts have made my mind up for me. Think I need to make the most of it and count my self lucky. Cheers again everyone you’ve probably stopped me from dropping a right clanger. All the best. Mark.

Just to balance the argument. Im an agency driver, who is on the books of 3 agencies. Im a C+E driver, who is pedalling the wheel of “no employer giving me a job because of a lack of experience”. Im having to turn down work. Im booked up 2 - 3 weeks in advance. I have actually ended long term secondments with companies because something better came along. Iv been offered full time jobs but declined them for various reasons, and Iv been told that if all fails I would be more than welcome back. I have even been an agency driver at companies who said they wouldnt employ me as I lacked experience, and doubted whether I would have the staying power for the job. Iv also been placed on "New " contracts with agencies and asked to go in and give an honest appraisal of the job, when i have it sussed - I step aside. My last long term secondment ( i ended…) was at a national Haulier driving class 2. I left. My replacements - 2 of them! have crashed the trucks, got lost, and upset the third party workers from where the contract is based. The one guy claimed he couldnt find Milford haven, and that his Sat Nav didnt work in wales!!! Well in answer to the former statement - there is a bloody great chemical plant there! The job is fairly easy going - very little stress, & well organised.

So, my point is weigh up what is around you. If you go down the agency route, pick smaller agencies (not national ), in three areas where you are prepared to travel - to give you greatest trawling for work area.

dukeofdirt:

delboy trucker:

44 Tonne Ton:

dukeofdirt:

Cheers mate I think all these posts have made my mind up for me. Think I need to make the most of it and count my self lucky. Cheers again everyone you’ve probably stopped me from dropping a right clanger. All the best. Mark.

Nah, you did that when you went to Stobbies!

heh,heh, couldn’t resist that! :grimacing:

Are you young free and single? (Hmm.Im not that way honest :wink: ) Or are you strapped up with nippers and a wife that will beat you with a frying pan if you come home with a pound short in your wages? (I had an x like that, said to her, " whats up with ya"…“Im fed up” she said, “I said you cheeky ■■■■ you go out more times than the gas”. Seriously, agencies are a STOP GAP, users. NEVER trust them, drop you like hot potato. However much you hate your current job find other employment before considering going on the dole :unamused:

44 Tonne Ton:

dukeofdirt:

delboy trucker:

44 Tonne Ton:

dukeofdirt:

Nah, you did that when you went to Stobbies!

heh,heh, couldn’t resist that! :grimacing:

Haha. I was waiting for that. Surprised it took as long as it did :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Steve-o:
Read this carefully.

Not saying names and it’s not me but someone I know hated their job. That person seen an ad from an agency that seemed not bad, good rate etc. He went down and signed up and was told he would be put on a certain contract. He drove to the customer and done a wee driving test and passed no probs. Went back to the agy said yes please I’ll do it, and handed his notice in there and then for his current job. First week on the agy he has been hit with crap work. Next week? “Sorry it’s a bit quiet just now, we’ll call you.”

A classic example of an agency promising the world then failing. You need to realise the agency is there to make money and do as the client says. They don’t care about you and they don’t care about your bills. You’ll get work when it suits them, not you.

If I were you I would stay put till something full time comes up. Can you explain what you do?

Thats it in a nut shell. When I was on agency, it was only on a part-time basis, so I could ride out what for me at that time was the rare workless period. Times have changed radically since that time, and I just could not afford the luxury of those workless periods now, and, I understand that is now the norm :cry:

I’d say you’re making the right decision in staying on.

BUT if you did want to give it a try then now would be the time to do so, most agencies seem to be stacked out. After a terrible Jan/Feb/March I’ve been booked solid almost the whole of April and have had to turn down at least 2/3 jobs a week, a lot of them 2/3 month placements.

Agency can be good but the other thing is the kit, you will always, always be given the dog of the fleet to drive. Stick at Stobarts for a bit longer then make your mind up.

Alex