Dilemma

Hi all, i’ve got a bit of dilemma on my hands. I’ve passed my c+e recently and just waiting for paperwork to come through, now having my c cat i’ve registered with couple of agencies but the problem i have is i’m doing 3.5t on nights and i’m getting paid quite well, the problem is i’m tied in with the night shifts and when i stated my availability it would only be weekend nights or possibly mondays. The impression i got from the agencies is that they expect you to be available at all times, now i understand this coz that’s how agencies work flexible short notice and all that. With mortgage to pay and young family i cannot leave my current work to be available for short notice for temporary on going duration unknown and all that without a guarantee of actually getting some work.
Oh, what do i do?! :neutral_face:

Agencies generally promise everything and deliver next to nothing. If you are secure with your current position, don’t drop it for agency promises.

If they can guarantee (by written contract) x amount of hours a week, then you have an option.

Hope This Helps

Agencies use your name and flattery, on the other side of the phone in that office your just number.

That’s the big problem at the mo, will not resign for agency but due to limited availability agency is the only option to do some driving in the meantime, unless i get really lucky and my local haulage company takes me on full time ( come on Swain).

At least your ‘problem’ with the agency has come at a good time. On the build-up to Christmas you will find yourself more in demand, therefore in a stronger position.

Remember, doing agency work is supposed to be a two-way agreement. It sounds a bit as if they are calling the shots and you are putting up with it. Be firm (but not rude) with them and maybe they will respect you more. A bit of ‘give and take’ is alright, just make sure it isn’t ‘give and give’.

Always remember agencys work for you ! you gave them times your free its up to them to use you or not dont let them dictate…look after number one… yourself.