Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Hey up Richard I bought an F10 from the same place, bit of a dustman’s corner in Lorraine’s was that all your old tyre’s ? while we are on the subject of Lorraine’s I had a blast from the past breeze in here tother day someone called to buy a dozen of my fresh wonderful free range eggs none other than John Linsdale they must have been good eggs as he came back for a repeat order, he is mates with John Lisby who was his accountant who lives near me, cheers JD.

MaggieD:
Hi Dave,

Hope you and the lovely Liz are well, you are right I purchased off Aerosol Research,and it was in excellent condition Mike the driver had looked after it, the plastic covering was still on the trim in the cab,I also bought their F12 6x2 Rigid as Cliff Roberts R.I.P. ex Eurohaul was looking for a job when they finished and he drove it,he was a lovely chap as many lads on here will agree.
Here’s a couple of photos of the F89 the first week she went straight to work with a wide load, and another after painting,I paid £1500 for her !! one of the last to be built.
Also a pic of the F12.

We’ll come and see you ]

Hi Richard. .we’re both well thanks and you and the family too I trust.

Went to the locomotion show at Melun last weekend, met up with Junior and Veronique, Whippersnapper, Johnny Sutherland, and Glen Hartley…had a great time, weather much cooler that when we met up with you last time, and better organised too with the car park closer…Drove Glens F12 on the parade lap, first time in a wagon for ages, brought back some memories, I’ll send you some pics via your email…Always welcome here Richard
Love and kisses to Angie. …firm handshake to you… :wink:

DEANB:
Still going strong ! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Morning Dean,
My god, that has taken me back a bit, ARD was a good cutomer and this one was just before Phillip Pratley took over as TM.
Dealt with all these people over the years but never new the storey of each trucks movements unless I got involved in valuations.
There were two Waters brothers in Princes, Rick, who sadley passed away on a golf course about 15 years ago and John, mentioned in this article who also left us about 18 months ago after a fall.
Both complete oposits but the back bone of the workshop.
Great article, thanks for posting it, makes me feel so B****y old. :laughing:

PS, the workshop also had a very young man who was’nt half bad either, cant remember his name but he ended up with a black F12 called the Joker… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Harvey

This the one you talkin bout Wallace, cheers Buzzer

34.jpg

Buzzer:
Hey up Richard I bought an F10 from the same place, bit of a dustman’s corner in Lorraine’s was that all your old tyre’s ? while we are on the subject of Lorraine’s I had a blast from the past breeze in here tother day someone called to buy a dozen of my fresh wonderful free range eggs none other than John Linsdale they must have been good eggs as he came back for a repeat order, he is mates with John Lisby who was his accountant who lives near me, cheers JD.

Hi John,

Yes good old Lorraines,a job to see where it was these days, and John Linsdale and his Father in the office, happy days,I bet he’s been retired some years now ?
Took a truck to Walsall yesterday, people cutting you up, sat for 45mins on the M40 with 2 lanes shut off,56 mph,no manners, A34 solid both ways,good luck to the lads doing it today,I think we had the best of it.

Regards
Richard

Hi Richard, Thank you for letting me know how Tony is doing, I hope everything goes well for him.
I remember Tony Orlando & Dawn, “Knock Three Times” etc. My long time friend is Tony Christie,
who I did occasional work for, from the mid 1970s, and for the next 30 years, Working Spotlights
in theatres and cabaret clubs, operating the 32 channel sound desk, and driving him here & there.
Most of my work for him was in the UK or Ireland, and a few times to Germany, driving his “Gig” van
on the overnight sailing, Hull to Rotterdam, then 400 miles or so to the first theatre to set the stage
for the concert of the mini tour, first trip to Germany was to Der Stadthalle in Braunschweig. Happy Days.
Sometimes, if for example, Tony was working tonight at The Empire Theatre in Liverpool, and the
next night was a concert in The Golden Garter in Manchester, rather than drive many miles back
home late at night, he would stay the night with us in Wigan. He knew where my wine rack was.

Please keep me up to date about Mappo. Kind Regards, Ray.

Ray Smyth:
I found this picture and thought of Fergie 47. It is on a preserved railway line in Suffolk.

Sorry Ray, I missed this one…By coincidence we have an old railway line, now converted into a walking /cycle route, 100 yards from our house…it goes from Concarneau to Roscoff about 150 kms…

Fergie47:

Ray Smyth:
I found this picture and thought of Fergie 47. It is on a preserved railway line in Suffolk.

Sorry Ray, I missed this one…By coincidence we have an old railway line, now converted into a walking /cycle route, 100 yards from our house…it goes from Concarneau to Roscoff about 150 kms…

As have we, Fergie, le Voie Verte which is part of a railway which used to run from Brive to Angouleme and, I am sure, much further on in each direction. Possibly from the mountains of the Ardeche to the Atlantic. The section near us is from St.Pardoux la Riviere to Thiviers and if you are a cyclist, a great way to travel away from busy roads.

Such a shame and lack of foresight though. It stops in a cutting at St. Pardoux which they filled with landfill (now a purpose built dechetterie) and further on at Nontron, someone has built a house right across it (shades of Rosemary Clooney, I wonder if their nights are sometimes disturbed by phantom trains). Past Nontron there is another green section for some kms towards Angouleme.

When I first came here I was told that it had been dismantled before the war, until I started to read up on the Resistance in the area and discovered that they blew up a troop train in '43, when the Germans finally arrived to take over from Vichy, killing several German soldiers. No reprisals as far as I could find out but they did make a transit camp for deportees of forced labourers to Germany. It is now a woodyard with a small plaque commemorating those who passed that way, in many cases never to return.

Sorry for the long diversion, but that is what railways do, lead you on a voyage of discovery. :laughing:

Spardo
There is another nr Conforens nr where my brother lives it has a velorail well it use to, Being a cyclist, boy its hard work with 8 to a carriage especially when 7 aren’t pulling their weight so I got out and pushed up a slight incline they got a spurt on & I trip over a sleeper & they kept going & dragged me up the railway Laughing as they went, They said I didn’t see the funny side well I did pulling the splinters out of my knees lol!
I can see the funny side now
over there in a few week so Will see if its still there
regards
Jeremy

Hi Jeremy, hope you are well…

I pass under that Velo Rail bridge in Confolens quite a lot… Never been tempted to try it though!
Where does your brother live?

V hot around these parts just now
Regards, Baldrick…

image.jpeg

Upside down Balders.

Buzzer:
Upside down Balders.

Also a tad exagerrated…thank goodness :laughing:

Spardo and Badger…hope you both take advantage of theses cycle routes… :wink: …we’ve done the Nantes/ Brest and the St Malo to Redon canals, plus various voie verte routes in our area, shame both yours are so far away, always looking for new places. Mrs F wants to do the canal du midi, but can’t see that happening for a while :unamused:

Sorry, didn’t mean to hijack this thread rattling on about push bikes, just the thought of it must put the fear of God up the likes of Charlie and Mappo, although I could see Evans QC and Angie on tandem… :laughing:

Fergie47:
Spardo and Badger…hope you both take advantage of theses cycle routes… :wink: …we’ve done the Nantes/ Brest and the St Malo to Redon canals, plus various voie verte routes in our area, shame both yours are so far away, always looking for new places. Mrs F wants to do the canal du midi, but can’t see that happening for a while :unamused:

Sorry, didn’t mean to hijack this thread rattling on about push bikes, just the thought of it must put the fear of God up the likes of Charlie and Mappo, although I could see Evans QC and Angie on tandem… :laughing:

How dare you say mean things about myself and Mappo! I’m only an elderly

pensioner who’s down on his luck. And Mappo is a drain on the NHS. However

we both look fantastic in our lycras. Turn a few heads there matey. On a lighter

note. On Thursday last myself and Good Evans as he’s known made the perilous

journey from West Wellow to Southampton General to pay him a visit. We were pleasantly

surprised to see how bright he was. Happy Days.

We told him that everyone is thinking of him and sending him good thoughts. I believe

that he’s home for a while and then back for more treatment. Please everyone. Don’t forget

old has beens like us.We might be on our last knockings but we’re not too proud to

accept gifts of cash food and general articles like clothing to help us through the winter.

Thank you in advance. Regards Charlie :laughing: :laughing:

Hi all, just to let you know that my brother Albert Stratton passed away on Tuesday morning 25/06/ 2019. Many of you may have worked for him and many have said that he was a good boss, including Fergie 47. R.I.P. Albert.

Good news Charlie!
A funny post too… The bit about accepting gifts etc made me laugh out loud :laughing:

Nobby…
Sorry I didn’t see your post about your brother when I replied to Charlie.

Condolences to you…
Cheers, Stuart.

TIR Original:
Hi all, just to let you know that my brother Albert Stratton passed away on Tuesday morning 25/06/ 2019. Many of you may have worked for him and many have said that he was a good boss, including Fergie 47. R.I.P. Albert.

Nobby, sorry to hear about Albert, did he have a long illness?
I never actually worked for him, but I knew many that did, that all seems a long time ago now. My condolences to you and Alberts family .

Fergie47:

TIR Original:

Nobby, sorry to hear about Albert, did he have a long illness?
I never actually worked for him, but I knew many that did, that all seems a long time ago now. My condolences to you and Alberts family .

Sorry Fergie47 its just age and addled brain. Of course you didn,t drive for Albert, I was getting you mixed up with ‘Old Trucker’ (Richard) who lived in Domfront, Normandie. Albert put him through his class 1 back in the day and he told me he was eternally grateful. Hope both you and Liz are keeping well.

Baldrick1953:
Hi Jeremy, hope you are well…

I pass under that Velo Rail bridge in Confolens quite a lot… Never been tempted to try it though!
Where does your brother live?

V hot around these parts just now
Regards, Baldrick…

Stuart
Alls good here, Im doing some driving for a few firms No big stuff, I was on a transit dropside last week, but still charge the same.
My brother has a house in Chateau Garnier a one horse village 1/2 between Gencay & Civray. Are you back living in France again?
We have cycled down to Confolens a few times from his house, just got back from WW1 war graves trip on our bikes Dunkerque, Ypres & Arras
but got SNCF back up to Calais from Arras
All the best
Jeremy